Hi everyone,
    I'm new to iPhone and hope to have a new 4s in the coming weeks, I'm not able to preorder or purchase one this week but hopefully the following . I'm still debating which size iPhone to get and I have a question about iCloud and pictures. It says on the Apple site that

With Photo Stream, you can take a photo on one iOS device and it automatically appears on all your other devices, including your Mac or PC.
    So my question is if I take a picture on my iPhone and it's then automatically on the iCloud and therefore my PC does this mean I can download it onto my computer and then delete it from my phone if I want, in order to save space on my phone? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I just... I've never had an iPhone so this is all new for me :o.

From what I believe I'm understanding is that all my photos will pretty much be available on my PC without having to actually plug my iPhone into the computer, and therefore I can transfer all of them onto my PC's harddrive, making it easier to manage the space I have available on my iPhone. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks!
    10-11-2011 08:03 PM
    Yes, that's correct. If you delete it off your phone it will still be in "Photo Stream."
    anislandmom likes this.
    10-11-2011 08:12 PM
    So I understand that the last 1000 pictures will be stored in Photo stream and on iCloud and be directly accessible from my phone. What would I need to do if I wanted ALL my pics accessible from my phone? Can I make use of my storage allowance and upload all pics to iCloud?
    10-12-2011 05:21 AM
    Of course. But every time you take a picture or add it to your library, iCloud pushes it to Photo Stream, in turn pushing it to your computer, iPhone, iPad, and/or iPod Touch.
    10-12-2011 06:22 AM
    So I understand that the last 1000 pictures will be stored in Photo stream and on iCloud and be directly accessible from my phone. What would I need to do if I wanted ALL my pics accessible from my phone? Can I make use of my storage allowance and upload all pics to iCloud?
    The storage in icloud is for backing up your iOS device mainly. You can't access this info directly with photo app on your phone. iCloud is very limited in what you can do with it.

If you want to directly access "all" photos from your phone, you'll have to leave them on the device. Or find another method such as flickr or dropbox.
    anislandmom likes this.
    10-12-2011 08:43 AM
    One-thousand photos on Photo Stream is pretty awesome space. I don't even have 1,000 on my devices combined, I don't think.
    10-12-2011 09:44 AM
    The one thing no one is saying about pictures and iCloud is what if you are on a website(Gamefaqs for example) and save a map picture to your phone. Will it be uploaded to the cloud for photostream or will it be a document upload?
    Edit: Sorry I just saw on the page about backup of photos and videos in the camera roll
    DJ
    Last edited by DJBox3r; 10-12-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: saw on apple.com
    10-12-2011 09:57 AM
    One-thousand photos on Photo Stream is pretty awesome space. I don't even have 1,000 on my devices combined, I don't think.
    No question but still not that useful.

It doesn't even upload the full res picture to photo stream. I don't want resized, lower res copies saved or synced to my computer. All the pics you view on photo stream are not the original resolution.

This is easy to tell. Email or save a pic from your photo stream and compare to the original picture.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10-12-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    10-12-2011 10:27 AM
    I have't noticed any difference in resolution. I don't see why Apple would do that and not mention it, and I don't see how it hurts them if you use up your space too quick with hi-res photos. Just a thought, though.
    10-12-2011 10:33 AM
    I think it's great, you won't lose pictures, but with wireless sync now, once you're plugged in aren't the full res photos transferred to your iTunes acct?
    10-12-2011 10:39 AM
    I have't noticed any difference in resolution. I don't see why Apple would do that and not mention it, and I don't see how it hurts them if you use up your space too quick with hi-res photos. Just a thought, though.
    On your camera roll the pics are 5mp (iphone 4) or 1936 x 2592 at around 1.32mb per pic. On photo stream, these pics are altered to be 1434 x 1920 at around 520kb per pic.

These weren't exactly hi-res to begin with.

Just doesn't make it nearly as useful as it could be.
    anislandmom likes this.
    10-12-2011 10:46 AM
    I think it's great, you won't lose pictures, but with wireless sync now, once you're plugged in aren't the full res photos transferred to your iTunes acct?
    Sure you can transfer them by plugging in, but that's not the point of iCloud.
    10-12-2011 10:47 AM
    Anyone know how we will be able to access these photos on PC?
    10-12-2011 10:58 AM
    Anyone know if a picture taken can be completely deleted? In the beta it would put the picture back even when I deleted it from the computer and the iPhone.
    10-12-2011 11:30 AM
    Anyone know if a picture taken can be completely deleted? In the beta it would put the picture back even when I deleted it from the computer and the iPhone.
    You can delete the entire photo stream from icloud.com. Log in. Click on your name. Click advance. Reset photo stream.
    10-12-2011 11:34 AM
    Found out how to set up icloud on PC, but doesn't look like the download page for windows setup is live yet.... for anyone else who is wondering, I think you will need to go to http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup to set this up on pc.

This is starting to look like it can take over some of the duties of dropbox for me. I often upload/import pics to my pc from my phone this way, icloud will be handling this with photostream now.
    10-12-2011 12:13 PM
    The storage in icloud is for backing up your iOS device mainly. You can't access this info directly with photo app on your phone. iCloud is very limited in what you can do with it.

If you want to directly access "all" photos from your phone, you'll have to leave them on the device. Or find another method such as flickr or dropbox.
    That's a shame, I was hoping to access all of my pics from previous phones also which are currently sat in folders on my PC via the cloud and my Photos app . Thanks for the suggestions, I'm also considering Google +. Photos up to 2048 x 2048 don't count towards the free storage limit of 1GB.
    10-13-2011 04:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD