Hi everyone:

I am purchasing an iphone 4s to use for both personal and business purposes.

Unfortunately, my office computer (not on a server) uses windows xp and I have outlook . According to the apple website, the only windows operating systems that work with the icloud are vista and windows 7.

Is there any way to still use the cloud on my office computer? For example, getting a microsoft exchange account, hosted by someone else?

From an email point of view, what would work better microsoft exchange account or just using iphone email app. with verizon?
    Last edited by ekneeiphone; 10-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    10-11-2011 04:28 PM
    Hi everyone:

Unfortunately, my office computer (not on a server) uses windows xp and I have outlook . According to the apple website, the only windows operating systems that work with the icloud are vista and windows 7.

Is there any way to still use the cloud on my office computer? For example, getting a microsoft exchange account, hosted by someone else?

From an email point of view, what would work better microsoft exchange account or just using iphone email app. with verizon?
    Any thoughts please. Thanks.
    10-12-2011 07:58 PM
    Hi everyone:

Has nothing to do with who is hosting your email, apple has simply decided not to support windows xp. You need the control panel installed on that pc.
    10-12-2011 08:46 PM
    I guess I won't be using iCloud then.
    10-12-2011 09:06 PM
    I guess I won't be using iCloud then.
    You can still use ICloud through your iphone.
    10-12-2011 09:15 PM
    It may be a good thing that it didnt work because anything you put on a company pc they have a right to see.
    You would be basically giving them instant access to all your contacts and the last 30 days of your photos should they care to look on your pc.

but i may be the paranoid one in this group : P
    10-12-2011 11:20 PM
    It may be a good thing that it didnt work because anything you put on a company pc they have a right to see.
    You would be basically giving them instant access to all your contacts and the last 30 days of your photos should they care to look on your pc.

but i may be the paranoid one in this group : P
    Thats a valid point. However, it's my own business. In the end, it's probably not necessary since I can remotely access my office computer on my iPad or laptop or pc, etc.
    10-12-2011 11:26 PM
    Hi everyone:

I'm a Mac user and set up via my Mac, but also (still) use XP SP3 since it suits my needs. First, don't seriously consider iCloud for business email, Apple just won't warrant it - I use Google Premier Apps but will likely switch to Office365 at year's end; I beta tested O365 for a while and liked it and both of my iPhones worked perfectly with the service, and so did my Mac Outlook (crippled MS software) - MS sells single seats for O365 and the price is just a bit more than Google Apps.

I use IE8 and Chrome 12 on XP to manage my iCloud accounts and never have to worry. I use MM and iCloud for my calendaring and contacts on my iOS devices along with personal iCloud email and work Google Apps email. For the O365 account (I have a Live account too), the iPhone is a *perfect" fit for both calendaring and contacts too, and hooks up to both Live and O365 accounts via IMAP for email. iCloud's web interface is almost as good as the Win7/OS X desktop applications, without the hassle of the desktop. I actually prefer Apple's contacts and calendaring to MS and Google offerings as Apple has far more data field types available in their native/mobile/web client interfaces, and the iPhone offers more features than even WinPhone7 does relative to O365 and Live services.

I do not miss one bit of the iCloud experience in XP when using a decent browser, and both Chrome 12 and IE 8 work perfectly on XP for me. I hope this helps you out.
    10-13-2011 12:09 AM
    I'm a Mac user and set up via my Mac, but also (still) use XP SP3 since it suits my needs. First, don't seriously consider iCloud for business email, Apple just won't warrant it - I use Google Premier Apps but will likely switch to Office365 at year's end; I beta tested O365 for a while and liked it and both of my iPhones worked perfectly with the service, and so did my Mac Outlook (crippled MS software) - MS sells single seats for O365 and the price is just a bit more than Google Apps.

I use IE8 and Chrome 12 on XP to manage my iCloud accounts and never have to worry. I use MM and iCloud for my calendaring and contacts on my iOS devices along with personal iCloud email and work Google Apps email. For the O365 account (I have a Live account too), the iPhone is a *perfect" fit for both calendaring and contacts too, and hooks up to both Live and O365 accounts via IMAP for email. iCloud's web interface is almost as good as the Win7/OS X desktop applications, without the hassle of the desktop. I actually prefer Apple's contacts and calendaring to MS and Google offerings as Apple has far more data field types available in their native/mobile/web client interfaces, and the iPhone offers more features than even WinPhone7 does relative to O365 and Live services.

I do not miss one bit of the iCloud experience in XP when using a decent browser, and both Chrome 12 and IE 8 work perfectly on XP for me. I hope this helps you out.
    2 AppleCare reps., I spoke with today are not making sense to me.

A rep earlier in the week said that I could in fact synch my new iphone to outlook on my office computer for contacts, calendar, tasks and memo and synch to my shared family itunes library just for media( music, pics, video, movies, etc,) without using exchange. It was explained that I should disable autosynch on both computers. This seemed consistent with some answers some folks gave on this forum in another thread and 2articles in apple support communities and .
    See the following links in Apple support: https://discussions.apple.com/message/10039094#10039094
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/11218798#11218798

However, I spoke with different reps today regarding updating ios5 to my home computer and cloud. We discussed this issue again and they had a different take. They said yes, set up manual synch with office computer via outlook (windows xp)
    but the phone can be set up so that it synchs the media on the home computer (different library from my office) via the cloud and that I can upload calendar, contacts, etc that are being synched on the office computer via outlook from the phone to the cloud so that it will be pushed to my ipad. ( I will no longer use itunes on the phone and ipad at least with the home library).

They claim that when I get the phone they will help me do this! Does this make sense?
    Last edited by ekneeiphone; 10-13-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    10-13-2011 03:26 PM
    Thats a valid point. However, it's my own business. In the end, it's probably not necessary since I can remotely access my office computer on my iPad or laptop or pc, etc.
    thats a very valid point. its all about how you can interact with all your devices. But the cloudproblem is, that theoretically there is a third party involved. I now it from my backround at call centers, where more and more people use clouds in a B2B area (like this). But the give away key information of their business. its a problem for the future.
    03-28-2012 06:05 AM
    I'm not sure where iCloud enters into your issue. I'm also not sure why you can't just connect your iPhone to your exchange server to get your mail instead of trying to sync it to a desktop at all. Wouldn't that solve all your problelms?
    03-28-2012 06:48 AM
    Note: the date of the original post is October 11, 2011. Hopefully, the OP has gotten his dilemma corrected by now.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    03-28-2012 09:06 AM
    Just wondering how do I setup windows 7 with icloud? can you guys guide me to any tutorial or instruction on how to set windows 7 with icloud. that would be very helpful for me.
    03-30-2012 03:24 AM
    What is it you think you're going to do with iCloud on a pc?
    03-30-2012 06:29 AM
    What is it you think you're going to do with iCloud on a pc?
    I got iphone & pc, thought I can synchronize them on icloud. is it possible or am I just daydreaming?
    03-30-2012 10:53 AM
    You can sync your iPhone to iCloud without ever needing the pc. Just use your pc to sync your photos, music, and video that didn't come from iTunes.
    03-30-2012 01:27 PM
    Just wondering how do I setup windows 7 with icloud? can you guys guide me to any tutorial or instruction on how to set windows 7 with icloud. that would be very helpful for me.
    I got iphone & pc, thought I can synchronize them on icloud. is it possible or am I just daydreaming?
    At least you have Win7. Go to Apple support site and search for 'how to install icloud control panel applet' - the applet supports vista and win7 (however, I've read that it is also possible on WinXP with a little tweak). This applet will let you sync icloud with your local outlook. It will also let you view your photo stream (it shows up automagically in My Pictures folder), and upload local images to icloud.

For any version of Windows, you can use a browser to access your icloud (mail, contacts, find my iphone, calendars) info by logging in to www.icloud.com

Hope this helps!
    04-09-2012 05:24 PM
    I'm one of the unfortunate who has a 'mixed' marriage of PC with Windows XP, IPad 2 and IPhone with Mobile Me email/etc.:o As you know, June is the drop dead date to convert your "stuff" to the ICloud.
    You must have a base station that has a Mac platform or, Windows Vista or 7. I thought I could wait for the new Windows 8,,,but, Apple's conversion is before the ' 8 ' roll out. Today, I found out, even if that were so (not buy 7,,but , wait to buy 8) ,,, Windows 8 is NOT compatible with the ICloud !
    So, basically, you must switch --- either short term,or, long term--- to a full Apple platform,,or, change to PC/Windows/Android,,,etc. You cannot just use your Ipad for the Cloud Mobile me system.
    Apple is adding dozens of customer support folks in anticipation of many upset customers....Input from a very reliable Apple insider......
    There are some "work-arounds" on the net which claim you can 'get' to the Cloud with XP,,,,, Anyone know if they work ? I don't know if I'm going to reluctantly go with this apple plan to get more customer conversions,,,,or, I just totally go with new PC, tablet and phone systems.... ???? I am ticked that their web sites does not even mention the Windows 8 issue.
    Thanks for any advice and/or corrections.
    Regards,
    jack
    04-21-2012 04:39 PM
    Someone please explain to me exactly what it is in iCloud that you want to access on your pc. I have a Mac at home and a pc at work - I don't access iCloud on anything but my iPhone and iPad. It is a total nonissue on the desktop.
    04-21-2012 08:20 PM
    Someone please explain to me exactly what it is in iCloud that you want to access on your pc. I have a Mac at home and a pc at work - I don't access iCloud on anything but my iPhone and iPad. It is a total nonissue on the desktop.
    With iCloud on my MacBook, I keep it in sync with my iPhone and iPad.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    04-21-2012 08:24 PM
    Basically it's a control panel that will sync outlook if chosen .. Web bookmarks .. And photo stream to a folder on your comp as well as a upload folder ..

Ie bookmark a site or change a contact it is synced using the cloud in real time vs hooking your phone to pc and syncing .. Although I don't use my comp very often photo stream and bookmarks match my iPhone and iPad if needed ..

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    04-21-2012 09:56 PM
    With iCloud on my MacBook, I keep it in sync with my iPhone and iPad.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    Still confused - you keep what exactly in sync? Can you now see your photos (without using iPhoto) on your Mac?
    04-22-2012 09:46 AM
    Basically it's a control panel that will sync outlook if chosen .. Web bookmarks .. And photo stream to a folder on your comp as well as a upload folder ..

Ie bookmark a site or change a contact it is synced using the cloud in real time vs hooking your phone to pc and syncing .. Although I don't use my comp very often photo stream and bookmarks match my iPhone and iPad if needed ..

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    I understand the PhotoStream part on Windows (that would actually be nice on Mac), but prefer to use PhotoSync....so I still just don't get why it makes a difference.
    04-22-2012 09:47 AM
    Still confused - you keep what exactly in sync?
    Precisely, my mail, calendar, reminders, etc.
    Can you now see your photos (without using iPhoto) on your Mac?
    That is the one thing I don't sync with my MacBook and precisely because of the iPhoto limitation. Hopefully, OS X Mountain Lion will eliminate the need for iphoto in regard to syncing. To be honest, I don't take enough photos with my iPhone to even have photostream enabled, but I do and have them synced only to my iPad. The serious photos that I take are taken via my Nikon D90 and I transfer those photos to my MacBook via a USB cable.

Now, is syncing my MacBook via iCloud a necessity? Absolutely not, but I do so because I can and I try to make use of every available feature that I can. Nothing more...

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 04-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    04-22-2012 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD