Should I Create a separate apple id?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
iCloud backups take place when your phone/tablet is locked and charging. You can also start it yourself, but the process is so battery draining that, so far, it has only worked while plugged in (and Apple suggests you do it while charging and leaving the device alone for a bit). Most successful backups happen when I didn't even intend to back it up. Once that's done, yes, iTunes backups will become unnecessary.

To add to this... to "schedule" what time you want your daily backup to happen just do a manual backup at that time. Going forward all your daily backup will automatically happen at that time.

Reactions: diamonddialogue

Pmt061204

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been wondering about all this syncing lately between all the devices. This has really helped clear it up alot. Keep up the great discussions.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget with Home Sharing in iTunes you can easily (albeit manually) share music, apps and videos with each other via iTunes on your computers- if you indeed have separate computers. My wife and I have different iTunes accounts and do that all the time.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You would have to have the same iCloud account set up on each device. Separate ID's would be an easy way to have 20GB of iCloud space for one person, so I imagine it would NOT sync all your data as iCloud is meant to. That's my hypothesis after 5 months of using it on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

Cheers.

Ok so I am sorry. Getting more confused. When u say "you would have to have same icloud account" you don't mean you have to does it? I have iPad n iPhone and my son has iPod touch all under my account. I share some apps I choose (he is 9) I
Don't want everything shared. Can he have separate icloud account for his touch?

Pmt061204

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I am sorry. Getting more confused. When u say "you would have to have same icloud account" you don't mean you have to does it? I have iPad n iPhone and my son has iPod touch all under my account. I share some apps I choose (he is 9) I
Don't want everything shared. Can he have separate icloud account for his touch?

I thought I saw someone else state that each device will need its own @me.com account and that you will be able to choose what you want synced to that device. I could be wrong but like everybody else is saying once the official release comes out I'm sure it will become much more clear.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Look at it this way. iCloud offers both backup and syncing. If you are logged into the same account from two different devices (two different iPhones) both will have a separate and different backup. The syncing part is what will be the same on both devices. You have the OPTION to choose which of the following you want to sync:
Mail
Contacts
Calendars
Reminders
Bookmarks
Notes
Photostream
Documents & Data
Find My iPhone
What I'm not sure about (because I'm only running one iOS5) is if each device gets 5gb for backing up or each account gets that. I assume it's 5gb per account and if that's the case then two iPhone won't fit in that 5gb range for most people. I run a pretty minimalist system and my backup runs around 3.1gb. I will most likely have to be additional storage to keep my wife and I on the same account for music, books and apps. I think apple was pretty smart from a $ perspective on this. They know a lot (if not most) families share an account and that 5gb is just enough for one device and additional space isn't too expensive.
Hope this clears it up a little.

Reactions: phreddyl

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Each account gets 5GB, NOT each device. But, I do believe anyone who really utilizes iCloud with more than one iOS device will need approximately 5GB per device. In other words, Apple made sure if you have just one device that your backups will fit into the 5GB you get for free. If you have two (iPhone and iPad for example), I think their goal was to almost force us to purchase at least 10GB.

Yes, your son can have a separate iCloud account for his iPod touch, and you can still link your iTunes account with it, I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: phreddyl

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Look at it this way. iCloud offers both backup and syncing. If you are logged into the same account from two different devices (two different iPhones) both will have a separate and different backup. The syncing part is what will be the same on both devices. You have the OPTION to choose which of the following you want to sync:
Mail
Contacts
Calendars
Reminders