Official iTunes Match beta thread

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So if I sign up for itunes match, I still won't be able to store all of my music on my 16 gigger?
No, not all at once, but you will have access to it all. I believe there is some sort of "smart storage" process where it will "delete" older "downloaded" songs from the device. Not sure if it will warn you or prevent you from downloading, or just go ahead and do so.

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
No, not all at once, but you will have access to it all. I believe there is some sort of "smart storage" process where it will "delete" older "downloaded" songs from the device. Not sure if it will warn you or prevent you from downloading, or just go ahead and do so.

I'm going to describe how it sounds to me itunes match works based on your responses, just let me know if I'm following correctly.

I can upload my library to itunes match. Then from my device I have access to download and listen to my whole library, I can only hold as much as my device is capable of but if I want to listen to something I didn't already upload or download, I can wipe some of the songs off (but still get them back later) and download songs I want to listen to but didn't put on the drive? This all from my device when its connected to internet.

Am I right in my description of how it works?

Also, apple said this would go live by October's end, any chance it'll be open by the end of today?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to describe how it sounds to me itunes match works based on your responses, just let me know if I'm following correctly.

I can upload my library to itunes match. Then from my device I have access to download and listen to my whole library, I can only hold as much as my device is capable of but if I want to listen to something I didn't already upload or download, I can wipe some of the songs off (but still get them back later) and download songs I want to listen to but didn't put on the drive? This all from my device when its connected to internet.

Am I right in my description of how it works?

Also, apple said this would go live by October's end, any chance it'll be open by the end of today?

Your description is how I understand it to work as well. The key difference being it will only upload songs that iTunes does not currently have. The rest will be "matched" - regardless if you bought it from iTunes, amazon, ripped from a cd, or any other means.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone answer this?
I have about 2000 songs. About 1750 got matched and 250 got uploaded. Of the 1750 only 23 are available for download (20 from a free iTunes Christmas album, and 3 other random iTunes purchases). I have bought a few hundred songs from iTunes. Why is this?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone answer this?
I have about 2000 songs. About 1750 got matched and 250 got uploaded. Of the 1750 only 23 are available for download (20 from a free iTunes Christmas album, and 3 other random iTunes purchases). I have bought a few hundred songs from iTunes. Why is this?

Here is what I observed. I moved my whole iTunes folder so iTunes wouldn't recognize it. I then launched iTunes and it created a new iTunes setup that had no idea where my local music is. All my music is available for download as soon as I turn on Match. If I download a song it is no longer available for re-download (the download icon disappears).

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So, for those who are on the latest testing, how is it going now? Any better? Look like it is closer to release ready?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
So, for those who are on the latest testing, how is it going now? Any better? Look like it is closer to release ready?

I can only comment as a non-developer. This latest beta matched much more of my library than the previous. The problem I see right now is not being able to clear out a song in Match (the cloud). When I do it says it has been deleted from iCloud, but when I go to add it back to my library it looks at iCloud and it instantly is in iTunes as Uploaded even though it just didn't upload. It remembers that it had previously uploaded it and doesn't try to Re-Match it.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I can only comment as a non-developer. This latest beta matched much more of my library than the previous. The problem I see right now is not being able to clear out a song in Match (the cloud). When I do it says it has been deleted from iCloud, but when I go to add it back to my library it looks at iCloud and it instantly is in iTunes as Uploaded even though it just didn't upload. It remembers that it had previously uploaded it and doesn't try to Re-Match it.

Sounds like a step forward, but maybe one back?

What did you do to prepare your library first? Use a plugin like TuneUp?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Another Question

Might be speculation, but will iTunes match also act as a backup? Due to it's size, I don't back up my iTunes library. Bad, I know. But, say there was a failure, would I be able to download from iTunes to a new drive? Or once it is gone from my primary drive, is it removed from a match?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I just signed up for iTunes Match. On to Step 3 where it is uploading the unmatched. Now, on my cursory glance, I think the success rate is still pretty low (4300 songs matched of 9100, so 47%).

I know this is a trend seen with many testers. My question is this. If I clean up metadata on items not matched, can I (1) rescan just those songs? and (2) if they now match, does my original uploaded file in the cloud get deleted (not sure it even matters).

Thanks all who've been through this for any help!

Oh, and what do the various icons in iTunes mean?

Edit 2: So syncing is a thing of the past, it seams. Is there an easy way to say "Download what was on my device before"?

Last edited:

OC Pcar

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda not understanding the benefit here? If I have already have all my music on my devices via sync then what does this do for me? Can I delete the music on the device to free up space?

Aceoasis

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Never be the first on your block to try out un-proven technology. Give it a few weeks (crashes) and sign-up when the problems stop.

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Match is still so elusive to me. I do not have it as an option in my iTunes, I have heard that it potentially can harm your iTunes library if you let it work out the "empty spots" within your media lib. I am just a bit confused about Match and the way Apple has decided to market this potentially wonderful feature.

So what's the big difference between iTunes Get Album Artwork function and the Match - is it part of one and the same feature?

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I just discovered Google Music's 20,000 FREE upload capability and the fully-functional web app that streams your own collection to my iPhone 4s, and I think this just blows away any chance I'd consider iTunes match.

I have a fairly HUGE collection, we're talking about 70GB of music, but that's still only 13,000 songs. The web app from Google basically creates an icon and everything that gives iOS users full access to their collection. Plus, in my first testing over WiFi, it streamed QUICKLY.

People complain about the burden of uploading their collections, but is it really that big of a deal? This could literally take me days, but who cares...set it up and leave your computer on overnight. Once it's done, I potentially have my home music collection anywhere I have WiFi or 3G, and it didn't even cost me $24.99 a year.

iTunes Match is promising, but I'm just seeing/hearing too many problems to warrant the cost. I'd rather try this for free or just carry an iPod Classic.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I just discovered Google Music's 20,000 FREE upload capability and the fully-functional web app that streams your own collection to my iPhone 4s, and I think this just blows away any chance I'd consider iTunes match.

I have a fairly HUGE collection, we're talking about 70GB of music, but that's still only 13,000 songs. The web app from Google basically creates an icon and everything that gives iOS users full access to their collection. Plus, in my first testing over WiFi, it streamed QUICKLY.

People complain about the burden of uploading their collections, but is it really that big of a deal? This could literally take me days, but who cares...set it up and leave your computer on overnight. Once it's done, I potentially have my home music collection anywhere I have WiFi or 3G, and it didn't even cost me $24.99 a year.

iTunes Match is promising, but I'm just seeing/hearing too many problems to warrant the cost. I'd rather try this for free or just carry an iPod Classic.

Uploading wasn't the big issue for me, getting a nice 256k copy without having to rip all of my CDs again was worth the $25. I'm glad to hear that Google Music is a solid streaming only option for iOS though, it's always nice to have options on any device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro