So, for those who are on the latest testing, how is it going now? Any better? Look like it is closer to release ready?
    I can only comment as a non-developer. This latest beta matched much more of my library than the previous. The problem I see right now is not being able to clear out a song in Match (the cloud). When I do it says it has been deleted from iCloud, but when I go to add it back to my library it looks at iCloud and it instantly is in iTunes as Uploaded even though it just didn't upload. It remembers that it had previously uploaded it and doesn't try to Re-Match it.
    11-07-2011 05:16 PM
    I can only comment as a non-developer. This latest beta matched much more of my library than the previous. The problem I see right now is not being able to clear out a song in Match (the cloud). When I do it says it has been deleted from iCloud, but when I go to add it back to my library it looks at iCloud and it instantly is in iTunes as Uploaded even though it just didn't upload. It remembers that it had previously uploaded it and doesn't try to Re-Match it.
    Sounds like a step forward, but maybe one back?

What did you do to prepare your library first? Use a plugin like TuneUp?
    11-08-2011 11:45 AM
    Uh oh. Everything was working fine earlier today and now... Err 4002
    11-08-2011 08:55 PM
    Might be speculation, but will iTunes match also act as a backup? Due to it's size, I don't back up my iTunes library. Bad, I know. But, say there was a failure, would I be able to download from iTunes to a new drive? Or once it is gone from my primary drive, is it removed from a match?
    11-09-2011 09:53 AM
    I just signed up for iTunes Match. On to Step 3 where it is uploading the unmatched. Now, on my cursory glance, I think the success rate is still pretty low (4300 songs matched of 9100, so 47%).

I know this is a trend seen with many testers. My question is this. If I clean up metadata on items not matched, can I (1) rescan just those songs? and (2) if they now match, does my original uploaded file in the cloud get deleted (not sure it even matters).

Thanks all who've been through this for any help!

Oh, and what do the various icons in iTunes mean?

Edit 2: So syncing is a thing of the past, it seams. Is there an easy way to say "Download what was on my device before"?
    Last edited by starbird; 11-14-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Additional Question (on icons in iTunes) & sync issues
    11-14-2011 04:12 PM
    I'm kinda not understanding the benefit here? If I have already have all my music on my devices via sync then what does this do for me? Can I delete the music on the device to free up space?
    11-14-2011 05:31 PM
    Never be the first on your block to try out un-proven technology. Give it a few weeks (crashes) and sign-up when the problems stop.
    11-26-2011 05:05 AM
    Match is still so elusive to me. I do not have it as an option in my iTunes, I have heard that it potentially can harm your iTunes library if you let it work out the "empty spots" within your media lib. I am just a bit confused about Match and the way Apple has decided to market this potentially wonderful feature.

So what's the big difference between iTunes Get Album Artwork function and the Match - is it part of one and the same feature?
    01-10-2012 11:51 AM
    Wow, I just discovered Google Music's 20,000 FREE upload capability and the fully-functional web app that streams your own collection to my iPhone 4s, and I think this just blows away any chance I'd consider iTunes match.

I have a fairly HUGE collection, we're talking about 70GB of music, but that's still only 13,000 songs. The web app from Google basically creates an icon and everything that gives iOS users full access to their collection. Plus, in my first testing over WiFi, it streamed QUICKLY.

People complain about the burden of uploading their collections, but is it really that big of a deal? This could literally take me days, but who cares...set it up and leave your computer on overnight. Once it's done, I potentially have my home music collection anywhere I have WiFi or 3G, and it didn't even cost me $24.99 a year.

iTunes Match is promising, but I'm just seeing/hearing too many problems to warrant the cost. I'd rather try this for free or just carry an iPod Classic.
    01-11-2012 10:22 PM
    Wow, I just discovered Google Music's 20,000 FREE upload capability and the fully-functional web app that streams your own collection to my iPhone 4s, and I think this just blows away any chance I'd consider iTunes match.

I have a fairly HUGE collection, we're talking about 70GB of music, but that's still only 13,000 songs. The web app from Google basically creates an icon and everything that gives iOS users full access to their collection. Plus, in my first testing over WiFi, it streamed QUICKLY.

People complain about the burden of uploading their collections, but is it really that big of a deal? This could literally take me days, but who cares...set it up and leave your computer on overnight. Once it's done, I potentially have my home music collection anywhere I have WiFi or 3G, and it didn't even cost me $24.99 a year.

iTunes Match is promising, but I'm just seeing/hearing too many problems to warrant the cost. I'd rather try this for free or just carry an iPod Classic.
    Uploading wasn't the big issue for me, getting a nice 256k copy without having to rip all of my CDs again was worth the $25. I'm glad to hear that Google Music is a solid streaming only option for iOS though, it's always nice to have options on any device.
    01-12-2012 09:12 AM
    Uploading wasn't the big issue for me, getting a nice 256k copy without having to rip all of my CDs again was worth the $25. I'm glad to hear that Google Music is a solid streaming only option for iOS though, it's always nice to have options on any device.
    True. It's funny how many people harp on THAT aspect of Match, however. They view it more like an "upgrade" service for music they either downloaded a long time ago or ripped at 128k or 160k and now can't find or don't feel like re-ripping. I don't think Apple really intended that to be a selling point of it, I think they were just trying to match the quality of MP3's available on iTunes, Amazon, and now Google.

I'm kind of a partial audiophile. I own probably 15 different sets of earbuds or headphones because I'm always looking for something better. On the other hand, I rip my music at 192k, and I probably couldn't tell you the difference between 192k and 320k.

It's kind of like 1999 all over again right now, because back in the Napster days, people were so happy to get access to music that they didn't care (or notice) that the 96k or 128k files swapped on that service sounded like crap. Now, you have the complete audio snobs who claim they'll tolerate nothing less than .wav of 320k, and then a huge mass of people who are doing without music ownership altogether in favor of things like Pandora or Sirius Radio, which have relatively crappy sound quality.

But yes, if you plan on "upgrading" your entire collection, then $25 is a small price to pay!
    01-13-2012 02:36 PM
    I'm kinda not understanding the benefit here? If I have already have all my music on my devices via sync then what does this do for me? Can I delete the music on the device to free up space?
    I have been thinking heavily about Match since I have just the 8gb iPhone 4 (it was cheap). I have 30-40gb of music. I am forced to cycle in playlists or artists here in there as I want.

But with match, I would have quicker access to everything.

One of the barriers to entry for me was (notice the past tense) that Genius PLs were not supported via match. With the new iOS5.1 they are. So I may give this a go soon.

I just wish there was a "trial"-ish way you could have match scan your library to give you and idea of how much would get matched before you commit the money to it.....
    03-08-2012 09:46 AM
    I have been thinking heavily about Match since I have just the 8gb iPhone 4 (it was cheap). I have 30-40gb of music. I am forced to cycle in playlists or artists here in there as I want.

But with match, I would have quicker access to everything.

One of the barriers to entry for me was (notice the past tense) that Genius PLs were not supported via match. With the new iOS5.1 they are. So I may give this a go soon.

I just wish there was a "trial"-ish way you could have match scan your library to give you and idea of how much would get matched before you commit the money to it.....
    Even if it doesn't match it, it'll upload your copies to iCloud and make it available to you for the quicker access you desire.
    03-08-2012 10:29 AM
    Oh I know. I just would like to know if I am going to need several hours or several days before I jump in.....
    03-08-2012 10:39 AM
    Oh I know. I just would like to know if I am going to need several hours or several days before I jump in.....
    Ah good point. I don't have a huge collection (4000 ish maybe) and I think I had about 600 to upload but it wasn't anything outrages over a cable connection. It should be especially good now since not everyone is hitting the service at the exact same time.
    03-08-2012 10:56 AM
    Yeah but I am on DSL still and my upload speed maxes around 1mb I think. I get 3 down. So my uploads will take a loooooooooong time.
    03-08-2012 11:16 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD