Hi all-

First post here... hopefully not ground already covered.

My current computer is outdated: a G4 iMac circa ~2005 running 10.4.11
    Obviously, I can't attach my iPhone 4 to the computer for any useful purpose other than charging

I don't currently need any information specifically from my computer on my iPhone so,,,, it appears that iCloud will eliminate the need for the computer interface to update the iOS and back up apps, etc, correct?

If true, then I should be able to update to iOS 5 (from my current iOS 4.2.6) and sign up for iCloud as soon as the completed version becomes available without the hassle of using a third-party computer and all that entails, right?

Thanks all!
    07-25-2011 01:04 PM
    I think how you describe it sums it up. Having iCloud sows help keep all your iOS devices in sync and storing data on the servers. Now, most likely you'll have to connect your iphone to itunes and upgrade to 5.0. Once you have it on your device all future updates are over the air (OTA) but initially you'll need to tether to the computer.
    07-25-2011 01:55 PM
    Now, most likely you'll have to connect your iphone to itunes and upgrade to 5.0. Once you have it on your device all future updates are over the air (OTA) but initially you'll need to tether to the computer.
    Yeah, I thought so. But, of course, I will have to do that on a 3rd party computer because I can't get the current version of iTunes that I would need on my computer to do the update.

So, if I use a 3rd party computer to update- if I understand the process correctly-- I would have to download everything on my phone to the computer for the update and then upload it again?
    07-25-2011 02:28 PM
    If you connect your iPhone to a new computer and attempt to sync it, it will erase the phone and try to sync with the new computer. Sounds like you'll need to do a fresh install. You'll want a backup of your phone so I suggest you upgrade to something newer.
    07-26-2011 02:56 AM
    Once iOS 5 is installed you should not have to use a computer at all, except for certain things like doing restores I'd think.
    07-26-2011 06:19 AM
    Yeah, I thought so. But, of course, I will have to do that on a 3rd party computer because I can't get the current version of iTunes that I would need on my computer to do the update.

So, if I use a 3rd party computer to update- if I understand the process correctly-- I would have to download everything on my phone to the computer for the update and then upload it again?
    So what happens is that your friend's computer for instance will ask if your phone is a new iphone or if itunes should restore the phone from a back up from another iphone (if you friend has one.)

so initially you'll have to treat your iphone as a new iphone and nothing except for the new OS will be on it. You'll have to download all the apps you currently have but since you'll be connected to iClould, if you get a new phone or need a restore, all your apps will be downloaded onto your phone from the servers.
    Same things goes for reminders, docs, etc.
    07-26-2011 07:50 AM
    If you connect your iPhone to a new computer and attempt to sync it, it will erase the phone and try to sync with the new computer. Sounds like you'll need to do a fresh install. You'll want a backup of your phone so I suggest you upgrade to something newer.
    This is not true. You can update your phone from any computer and keep all your content on your phone. When you plug it in to a computer, do not sync it or restore, just click update and it will update your phone. This is from experience.
    07-26-2011 10:53 AM
    This is not true. You can update your phone from any computer and keep all your content on your phone. When you plug it in to a computer, do not sync it or restore, just click update and it will update your phone. This is from experience.
    Great to hear!
    I've heard several different horror stories with slight variations generally predicting what dcgore and impaler are saying. Since you've actually done it, I'm hoping you're right. I might get back to you for advice if I have problems when the time comes
    Last edited by FritzDaCat; 07-26-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: bad english
    07-26-2011 01:51 PM
    Great to hear!
    I've heard several different horror stories with slight variations generally predicting what dcgore and impaler are saying. Since you've actually done it, I'm hoping you're right. I might get back to you for advice if I have problems when the time comes
    PM me anytime. I suppose one could accidentally click yes, or okay and mess everything up. That being said, you do have to be very careful and observant.
    FritzDaCat likes this.
    07-26-2011 03:24 PM
    Great to hear!
    What he said is true but what you will have to do is when iTunes tries to sync automatically like I'm betting it will you will get the message that this device has never been synced and this will erase everything. You hit No or Cancel or whatever. Then once you're back in iTunes go to every tab and uncheck sync ... ie. Music, Videos, etc and make sure on the info screen you uncheck bookmarks, email, etc. I have fixed many friends phones without removing their stuff.

Once that is done right click your phone in the left column of iTunes and choose backup. It will make a backup on your friends computer but you can erase it after you're done. The reason you should do this is the upgrade should just upgrade the phone without wipping out anything however I've had incomplete installs and had to do a new install. So if that happens you'll be glad for the backup. Then once the backup is done hit upgrade. Email me and I'll tell you how to delete the backup once you're all done.
    07-27-2011 07:23 AM
    iv been waiting for a long time...cant wait to give a try
    08-02-2011 02:57 AM
    Yup. That's one of the reasons Apple developed iCloud --so their statement that we're living in the "post-PC era" will hold true.

The problem, as it seems, is that you'll need to actually have you're iPhone connected via USB in order to get iOS 5. Also, if you have Mac that isn't compatible with iCloud, you may not be able to sync things back and forth from your Mac (I don't know if Apple will be updating Leopard/Snow Leopard for iCloud). However, you'll still be able to use it for other things like apps, books, music and now TV shows (which you could actually use now if you have the latest version of iTunes).

So you just need to figure out a way to update your device to iOS 5, and to see if iCloud is compatible with your version of OS X in order to use all of its features.
    Last edited by iMalum; 08-02-2011 at 03:49 AM.
    08-02-2011 03:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD