What will you be using instead of iDisk as it will be going when iCloud comes along
    06-25-2011 08:33 PM
    On MacBooks I think probably we will use iDisk as iCloud or maybe it will stay same as iDisk.. I can't imagine something else cause there is no sufficient information about this till now.. We will see
    06-25-2011 08:45 PM
    On MacBooks I think probably we will use iDisk as iCloud or maybe it will stay same as iDisk.. I can't imagine something else cause there is no sufficient information about this till now.. We will see
    ? iDisk will no longer exist after MobileMe shuts down next year. iCloud does not include a true iDisk replacement.

I will probably keep using Dropbox, and since I wont have to pay for MobileMe anymore, I can buy a larger Dropbox account.
    06-25-2011 10:25 PM
    ? iDisk will no longer exist after MobileMe shuts down next year. iCloud does not include a true iDisk replacement.

I will probably keep using Dropbox, and since I wont have to pay for MobileMe anymore, I can buy a larger Dropbox account.

Yeah, i was thinking about using Dropbox. What's best do you think?
    06-26-2011 06:04 AM
    seems like sugarsync is more competitively priced that dropbox for similar amounts of data storage. Anyone have experience with either service?
    06-26-2011 10:00 AM
    I prefer Dropbox over Sugarsync personally. I don't pay anything though so keep that in mind.
    06-26-2011 11:41 AM
    Not convinced i need a "disk syncing" solution. But I guess it will be Dropbox for non-important stuff.
    06-26-2011 05:25 PM
    Been using and will continue to use Dropbox. Not sure how apple will replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-28-2011 04:49 PM
    I think Apple may make a new iDisk alternative
    06-30-2011 11:25 AM
    Dropbox for sure.

Apple is going to include the option to expand iCloud storage, so maybe when you buy more storage it will work as iDisk did.
    07-01-2011 11:50 AM
    I use free dropbox, and have about 8GB of storage. That's more than enough for me right now.

You know, it would be great for a website/app to come around that could combine all these free storage sites and give you a seemingly seemless interface with all of them combined in one "large" storage site. Probably against the terms for each of the places, though.
    07-01-2011 05:59 PM
    Dropbox for me. Talk about "it just works"!
    audit likes this.
    07-08-2011 12:54 PM
    You know, it would be great for a website/app to come around that could combine all these free storage sites and give you a seemingly seemless interface with all of them combined in one "large" storage site. Probably against the terms for each of the places, though.
    One exists. Check out SMEStorage: Open Cloud Data Solutions. It has a web interface and an iOS app.
    07-08-2011 03:03 PM
    Dropbox is a nice alternative tool!

I will stay there, but maybe someone of you knows opensource-tools for my own webspace (with max. 5 users).

thx
    07-22-2011 08:48 AM
    My understanding is that iOS5 has cloud storage API's that allow any app to store arbitrary chunks of data in the user's iCloud storage area. That being the case, it would seem to be a fairly straightforward exercise to create an app which presented an iDisk-like "skin" that would allow users to create a folder hierarchy, store and retrieve files from folders, etc., all of which would actually reside within the user's allocated iCloud storage area.
    07-25-2011 05:56 AM
    My understanding is that iOS5 has cloud storage API's that allow any app to store arbitrary chunks of data in the user's iCloud storage area. That being the case, it would seem to be a fairly straightforward exercise to create an app which presented an iDisk-like "skin" that would allow users to create a folder hierarchy, store and retrieve files from folders, etc., all of which would actually reside within the user's allocated iCloud storage area.
    BINGO.

Apple is merely dropping the iDisk interface. It will be fairly easy to create clients on any platform to do the mentioned above.
    07-28-2011 03:35 AM
    I have found a great solution!

I was using iDisk, Norton Online Back, Box.net, Dropbox, and Windows Live Share. They all had a purpose that made sense.

I had heard about SugarSync in the past but never gave them a try... and I'm glad I decided to.

No only do they do everything that the others do, but they do more. What I did not like about Dropbox is that you have to move stuff into the box, causing files to be unorganized. With SugarSync, you can select which folders to sync to web+other computers, upload all files, and more.

Best of all, their iPad and iPhone apps work great, like they should.

Check it out at SugarSync.com. I know that all TIPB members will like it because I did. :-)

I started off with their 5GB free trial and within hours decided to purchase the 30GB. Just tonight, I purchased the 60GB and will be moving my other two computers to it.
    07-29-2011 02:11 AM
    I prefer Dropbox, it just works!
    07-30-2011 11:38 AM
    I've been using Dropbox for a while too and love it - got my free usage up to 8GB through referrals

Keen to see Apple's solution though...
    08-13-2011 01:39 PM
    im diggin sugar sync and dropbox right now but i did like sugar syncs free 5g compared to dropbox's 2 but im still kind of on the fence about using cloud apps to begin with...
    08-13-2011 05:13 PM
    Dropbox is great, I heard of a service with maybe tons of space, but you had to devote 159 GBs of your HDD and always have your machine running

No thanks
    08-23-2011 10:31 PM
    love apples pricing, love how dropbox is every where and have 4 gb free, so I'm prob going to stick with apple. i can always change plans
    08-24-2011 08:05 AM
    I'm new here, been following this thread as a MM subscriber and lamenting the axing of a few services. I read this on AI today, and submitted a comment using the link in Post 21 - AppleInsider | Apple open to restoring axed MobileMe features in iCloud - I want iDisk back, even though I haven't lost it yet...
    09-12-2011 07:25 PM
    Most three-year-old companies wouldnt be considered grisly, experienced veterans, but when youre talking about the mobile space, innovation ages faster than exponential dog years. At PointAbout, weve been racing just in front of the bleeding edge since our inception. Our first efforts in mobile development were based on location-aware applications and mobile device plug-ins back when FourSquare was still just a game kids played at recess. Simply put, global brands trust us with their most daunting development projects because they understand
    the potential cost of things going awry if theyre not working with the best. Why would your organization think any differently? With our unique capabilities in project management, needs assessments and integrated strategies for the enterprise, you can rest assured youre working with the preeminent team of mobile-oriented minds in the marketplace.
    PointAbout | iPhone App Developer | iPhone Developer DC
    09-13-2011 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD