iCloud vs Google

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
So if you're someone like me who syncs contacts, calendar & notes via Google, is there a compelling reason to switch over to iCloud when that becomes available?

Just curious.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
It just works. If you have several apple devices, it works by just typing in login info. Heck if you only have one device it's great. And it's free with no ads.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
So basically there's nothing really stopping you from activating iCloud and sync with Google side by side? I guess that would be a good way to figure out which you prefer.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So basically there's nothing really stopping you from activating iCloud and sync with Google side by side? I guess that would be a good way to figure out which you prefer.

Yes, you should be able too as I assume you are using Google Sync via Exchange and iCould I assume is going to repalce the MobileMe slot in the setup area for these services.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Nope. It seems that google and icloud would give you the same thing with respect to contacts, calendar and email.

The nice thing about having it in icloud would be that it comes with the same id as the music and apps.

baharharre

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you are having any one apple gadget that it is good to have it and worth to have it if you have two or more as it would be much easy to sync data, contacts, music and apps.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I prefer apples implementation of cloud services, compare google mail, contacts and calendars to the MobileMe site to see what I am talking about. Both do the same thing, although Apple did charge for their version which I always thought should have been free. Their web apps look fantastic and are very easy to use. I can only imagine iCloud to improve upon those features.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been very happy with Google for some time now. I'll wait until after iCloud has been released to make any kind of decision.

I'm also a bit concerned that services will only be free on a temporary basis with iCloud. Otherwise, why would all you MoMe subscribers have a 2012 expiration date on your accounts? Will you have to start paying at that point? For what? How much?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been very happy with Google for some time now. I'll wait until after iCloud has been released to make any kind of decision.

I'm also a bit concerned that services will only be free on a temporary basis with iCloud. Otherwise, why would all you MoMe subscribers have a 2012 expiration date on your accounts? Will you have to start paying at that point? For what? How much?

It will stay free because this is the kind of new ecosystem apple wants. It's also another tool to compete with blackberry and google. We have a 2012 expiration date to give us time to make the transition.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I think it will stay free. They need a way to stay competitive vs google. Charging for Mobile me was a big mistake and I believe that apple realizes this now. 2012 Expiration date gives people the opportunity to decide when they would like to migrate to iCloud. Besides you need iOS 5 and Lion to take advantage of iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I currently use Google Sync for my business and MobileMe for my personal. I found them both to work equally well. I actually don't find much that one does that the other cannot. I do find that Google is always updating their web interface in Gmail and it drives me nuts. Seems every time you turn around they change or add something, most of it I have found to be crap and unnecessary. I'd prefer a clean simple interface and MobileMe certainly offers that.

I will likely continue to use both as I do now, one for business, one for personal. Our business account with Google is part of their pay service with Google Apps, so its not free. If I had to use the free version, I'd be using MobileMe period because of all the ads.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
1. I don't think I'll use iCloud for email just because I don't want to have to get everybody to send email to a new address, but I may use it to sync contacts and calendar now, if the calendar interface can be accessed online like Google's can.

2. I doubt very much that the iCloud will be ad-free, has there been any mention of this from Apple directly? I'll believe it when I see/hear it.

3. I love the idea of wireless syncing and storage of music and movies on the iCloud servers, but if you're traveling you'll have to find a wifi hotspot; I doubt any carrier will allow over-the-air downloads of gigabytes of music and movies all at once!

4. Thank you, and good night.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
1. I don't think I'll use iCloud for email just because I don't want to have to get everybody to send email to a new address, but I may use it to sync contacts and calendar now, if the calendar interface can be accessed online like Google's can.

4. Thank you, and good night.

Don't take offense to this, but these are all bad reasons not to use icloud.

1. Just forward all your emails, make a signature of your new email address, and eventually it'll migrate everyone over without any work. Email, contacts, and calendar can be accessed online.

2. Yes it is ad free. Steve Jobs said it in the keynote. Apple wants stay competitive and keep the end user happy. This is a step towards that.

3. If you're talking about Wireless syncing with your itunes library that's done through a shared wifi connection, that's not part of icloud per se. however back ups with the cloud and music and apps bought from itunes and anything else the icloud description says it does, CAN be done over a 3G connection. And updates are delta updates, so it only downloads what's changed, therefore, smaller file sizes.

4. You're Welcome.:D I'm not trying to push icloud on you or bee an a**, I'm just informing you of what you didn't know.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR