Migrate Me.com ID to Apple ID - iCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj5570

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I ran a search and couldnt find anything on this. Has anyone found away to migrate a Me.com ID under an Apple ID, so it would be unified under one Apple ID? Also, does anyone know if its possible for developers to migrate their me.com to the new iCloud.

chadderbox

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
You can create an iCloud account using any email account except for a .me account. You can migrate from a .me account to iCloud by syncing everything to your mac and then turning off the mobileme sync, and then enabling iCloud sync. At that point everything is synced and working with the cloud rather than me.

However, you need to have developer access to get the iCloud control panel from Apple, and must be using Lion. I'm not sure how it works from a PC.

rj5570

May 5, 2010
Visit site
ok, I am not running Lion on my Mac since its my only and main computer. So the only way of getting the control panel is to be running Lion. Even though I am a developer, I will wait till July for the official Lion, for I dont want to go through the upgrade process more than once :)

thank you!

rj5570

May 5, 2010
Visit site
actually there is a control panel for windows. I will use my pc at work. Thanks again for the heads up.

Wish you could migrate an email attached to a me.com account over so its all under on AppleID. Might say good bye to that me account then.

Travisimo

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I followed the leaked PDF explaining how to migrate your calendar, bookmarks, and contacts to icloud, but I don't understand email. I have an iTunes apple I'd that I used to login to icloud and that's working fine, but I also have a MobileMe apple I use for contacts, calendar and email. The first two are, but I don't know how to migrate my email to my icloud account. If I go into icloud settings on my device and turn on email, it asks me to create a new me.com email address. Obviously I don't want another one since I already have one. So for now, I have email off in the icloud settings and just use the standard MobileMe email setting under mail settings. I guess this will work fine until they have a solution to this problem.

What is everyone else doing?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
This brings up a question I have had. I have a gmail account for my email, and all my contacts calendars etc are synced between my iMac and iPhone. I want to transition everything into iCloud, mainly email. How do I go about doing that?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This brings up a question I have had. I have a gmail account for my email, and all my contacts calendars etc are synced between my iMac and iPhone. I want to transition everything into iCloud, mainly email. How do I go about doing that?

Good question. I have the same one.

I have a gmail email address on my iTunes account... and a separate me.com address. I use the MobileMe sync currently to keep contacts and calendars etc synced between my MBP, my iPad, my iPhone and my iPod. When I set up iOS5, it asked me to log in, and not thinking ahead (and/or not understanding), I entered my iTunes credentials - including the gmail email address.

The bottom line was when I set contacts and calendar stuff to be synced via iCloud, nothing was syncing because there was nothing there. The only way to fix it was to turn off the iCloud syncing and revery back the the MobileMe syncing...

There has to be a way...

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You can create an iCloud account using any email account except for a .me account. You can migrate from a .me account to iCloud by syncing everything to your mac and then turning off the mobileme sync, and then enabling iCloud sync. At that point everything is synced and working with the cloud rather than me.

So... What email account is icloud going to work with? I was under the impression that when icloud became available it would ask you to create an apple ID and an @me.com email address or simply use an existing email address if you wanted to stick with gmail/hotmail or pre existing @me.com account. Are they no longer going to use @me.com as their email address??

Good question. I have the same one.

I have a gmail email address on my iTunes account... and a separate me.com address. I use the MobileMe sync currently to keep contacts and calendars etc synced between my MBP, my iPad, my iPhone and my iPod. When I set up iOS5, it asked me to log in, and not thinking ahead (and/or not understanding), I entered my iTunes credentials - including the gmail email address.

The bottom line was when I set contacts and calendar stuff to be synced via iCloud, nothing was syncing because there was nothing there. The only way to fix it was to turn off the iCloud syncing and revery back the the MobileMe syncing...

There has to be a way...

I was wondering the same thing. I too, have a gmail account and was hoping to create an @me.com account and ditch google for good once icloud becomes available. I was wondering what would happen to all of my purchased songs and movies if I created an @me.com account... If it was available to do so once icloud became available.

I suppose the question is will icloud be able to migrate @me.com into apple id's and will they be able migrate their apple id's (using gmail or hotmail) into icloud and create an @me.com if desired???

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My MobileMe account ID is the same as my Apple ID, and is the same one I used to access the iTunes Store. The email address used as the ID is actually my old .Mac email address (*******@mac.com). Not sure at all how i am supposed to migrate that over, since iCloud won't accept the MobileMe/AppleID I provide, and I don't want to make things complicated by creating a new idea.

What is weirder is that when I did try to create a new Apple ID, it turned out I already had an account on two different email addresses I have, but none of my passwords work, nor is the password reset working (I don't receive a reset email from Apple on either address), nor will the reset site let me reset via Security Question because, for some reason, my birthdate on file for both accounts is incorrect.

Ugh, why Apple has to keep making new services under new names is beyond me.

Combine iMessages and FaceTime and call it iChat. Screw iCloud as a name and just add on to MobileMe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.