Yikes, I don't like iCloud, not one bit....

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
The closest thing you could get was if you installed the same app on a second device, it would tell you that you had previously purchased/downloaded the app.

Actually no, on many an iPad it actually had "install" instead of the price thus showing what you previously purchased that wasn't on your device. This was before Monday's update to the store too.

Also, if you share an account. Your previous downloaded apps are recorded via email record, and if you share an ID it could be accessed that way too.

;)

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Please, I bought all the iDevices in my household. They are mine, and I can install an app on, what, 5 devices? This is part of the terms that the developer signed with Apple, not me. Go cry to Apple, not me.

I dont think he was crying or directing anything toward you, angry much?

graysonip

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Everyone in your house should have their own account, it's free after all. Why would you just use one? I guess it makes sense if you want to cheat developers and share apps, but really at 99 cents each for most apps do you need to do that? People work really hard to make that 99 cents from you and you are effectively stealing from them by allowing someone else to use the same application for free. If you're using one account to share content, you deserve to be inconvenienced and I highly doubt Apple is ever going to change their policies or the functionality of their devices to accommodate you.

Most of my downloads are free. So, it's hardly an issue that I'm focused on cheating developers. It's moreso an issue that I, as a parent, want to monitor and assist my child who's not yet ready to have an account alone. Moreover, what I'm doing is fully allowed in the terms of service. If developers disagree, they have every right to challenge Apple's policy, but that's not a reason why I should stop using a family account. Indeed, Apple encourages family sharing by creating services like Home Sharing. With that in mind, this is the forum for trying to understand how people in my situation will manage through the new iOS. No hostility intended.

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I find your argument lacking. If you are permitted 5 devices for said app, I assure you they meant your personal devices (not wife, mother, sister, dog).

That option exists in case you invested in an iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc. To say you bought all the devices so you are using "as intended" is disingenuous imo.

I own a iPhone and iPad while I bought my mom an iPhone. We use different IDs. Yes, that means we purchase each app per user not per device (as intended imo)

Example: i should not have to pay $60 twice to install Navigon on my iPhone and iPad but my mom SHOULD have to pay $60 for her copy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I find your argument lacking. If you are permitted 5 devices for said app, I assure you they meant your personal devices (not wife, mother, sister, dog).

That option exists in case you invested in an iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc. To say you bought all the devices so you are using "as intended" is disingenuous imo.

I own a iPhone and iPad while I bought my mom an iPhone. We use different IDs. Yes, that means we purchase each app per user not per device (as intended imo)

Example: i should not have to pay $60 twice to install Navigon on my iPhone and iPad but my mom SHOULD have to pay $60 for her copy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. It is meant to be per person, and said person is permitted to use the material on 5 devices operated mainly only by themselves. Not so you can give your ID to 4 people and you can all share the apps, even if you bought all of those devices.

dsjr2006

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I think you have to have the same icloud account in order for this to happen. For example, I have an iPad and an iPhone and my wife has an iphone too. I would have my own icloud account and she would have hers. If I buy an app then it would get pushed to my ipad and iphone, but not hers.

I also would think there could be settings that deal with this - for example, in iTunes there is a setting that allows me to set whether any new app would automatically get synced onto my ipad and I can change that.

Why would everyone be on the same account anyways? Just turn off automatic downloads....

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
App history was never shared, if the iDevices (using the same Apple ID) were synched to different machines. The closest thing you could get was if you installed the same app on a second device, it would tell you that you had previously purchased/downloaded the app.

Actually all they had to do was go to iTunes and log into your account from the store. You can get the complete app history there arranged by date.

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I think the the other thing we all need to keep in mind is that this is presently in Beta Form....so far I for one like it

baharharre

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With all new applications or systems the privacy concerns will arise and at the same time they will be taken care of....For anyone this can be the issue but Apple will come with much secure system I guess.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
With all new applications or systems the privacy concerns will arise and at the same time they will be taken care of....For anyone this can be the issue but Apple will come with much secure system I guess.

And I'd trust Apple more then Google.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. It is meant to be per person, and said person is permitted to use the material on 5 devices operated mainly only by themselves. Not so you can give your ID to 4 people and you can all share the apps, even if you bought all of those devices.

I agree with Jello, however, you Can still authorize up to 5 devices. So if you're okay with wife and kid and mom sharing all the same apps and seeing history and all of that, then you're not stealing anything. Not according to the terms. In theory it's per person, but in technicalities it's any 5 devices. Apple is a family oriented company. Family unity is important to them. Which is why they sell family accounts for most of their value added services. Home sharing is a great example on the music side of things. Apps and music go hand in hand with apple products (although I think developers are less greedy and work harder on their apps IMO), and yet the music is DRM free. So yes I'm all for not stealing from developers and giving them what they deserve, but no I don't think you're stealing if the 5 devices are different people in your family or even anyone for that matter. it's only 5 devices anyways. you don't even have to have all the same apps, you'll just see history. Now backups and settings with the cloud is a different story. I wonder how that would work with different family members. only one would be able to back up or otherwise the devices would all be changing with every change any of them made. Sorry for the novel, I know that's frowned upon.:eek:

Last edited:

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
You can also just have different ID's but sync what you want if you're on the same computer, or if you have different computers, just authorize both with each others apple ID's. This is another family situation.

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, Apple needs to make this more family friendly, user accounts would be very nice! Log into my account be the only admin, and only I can see my messages.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, Apple needs to make this more family friendly, user accounts would be very nice! Log into my account be the only admin, and only I can see my messages.

They all ready do make it friendly, it's called home sharing in itunes. With home sharing, you can share apps, music, etc....its not just for streaming at home. it actually shares with everyones devices in your home.

Thats lots of ways apple does this all ready from what I have known and have been reading while tinkering with iOS5

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
ok so I am going to resurrect this thread- seems like there is still confusion as to if you can disable on certain devices- here is my issue- I have an iPhone, iPad - I bought my 9 year old son the new iPod touch for his birthday so that he could play the same games that he played on mine. He is 9 and does not need his own account- he is currently under my account and I have it locked down so he can't make purchases or install or even delete apps (love that feature)
Here comes the issue- I like Eminem and others that lets just say are not censored and I don't want it to automatically sync to his iPod touch- Nor does he need my pictures calendar etc- does it sync to the apple ID or will it sync to .me accounts? If its the apple ID can I just disable it on his iPod touch so our stuff doesn't sync? thanks in advance

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Go to SETTINGS/ICLOUD on his device and uncheck the things that you don't want synced to his device.

UPDATE: Correction. For iCloud, it's under SETTINGS/ICLOUD. For MobileMe it's SETTINGS/MAIL,CONTACTS,CALENDAR

Last edited:
Reactions: phreddyl

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Go to SETTINGS/MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDAR on his device and uncheck the things that you don't want synced to his device.

ok very cool- The music/app syncing is also under the SETTINGS/MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDAR? I'm sure this will make more sense next week when I download the new IOS to my devices. I assume I do this on each of my devices? Also if I hold off upgrading his IOS it won't sync cause he won't have iCloud right?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't think music is... in iTunes it's its own tab on the device summary page... I'd expect it to be an option under iCloud... or on the iCloud site itself.

And the iCloud settings are under SETTINGS/ICLOUD. The settings under MAIL,etc are for MobileMe (which is going away). Sorry about the confusion.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't think music is... in iTunes it's its own tab on the device summary page... I'd expect it to be an option under iCloud... or on the iCloud site itself.

And the iCloud settings are under SETTINGS/ICLOUD. The settings under MAIL,etc are for MobileMe (which is going away). Sorry about the confusion.

No problem- to be honest I really would rather him not have anything synced. Under the settlings iCloud is there a way to not have it sync anything on just that particular device? I want to manually add an app or a song if I feel its appropriate- I know thats anal but he is way too young. I already have iTunes for his device to not sync that stuff

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No problem- to be honest I really would rather him not have anything synced. Under the settlings iCloud is there a way to not have it sync anything on just that particular device? I want to manually add an app or a song if I feel its appropriate- I know thats anal but he is way too young. I already have iTunes for his device to not sync that stuff

You can simply not setup an iCloud account there... that would force all sync to be done via iTunes, which you can control through the device page for his device - and you could disable sync for everything there.