One of our guys wrote up an interesting piece I wanted to share with everyone: "Shortfalls of Cloud Based Music"

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts
    05-19-2011 01:41 PM
    I gotta wait to see how it is implemented first. Apple hasn't let me down with their continued innovation lately.
    05-22-2011 12:49 AM
    I'm very excited about the possibilities. Nice thing about Amazon's cloud player and the upcoming Google thingy is we can use any tracks...I have tons of tracks that are both MP3 and AAC that were NOT purchased in the iTunes Store. If it only lets me access iTunes Store DRM-protected and non-protected AAC files, I'll be sorely disappointed. But it's what I expect--they will maintain the walled garden. Apple's just not that open with their stuff.
    05-22-2011 02:09 AM
    If iCloud automatically scans computers and matches the music to be put into iCloud accounts, that alone will make it worth our while. I also think I read that if we have crummy copies of songs that iCloud will replace them with better-quality versions. I'm liking what I've heard so far.
    05-29-2011 09:07 AM
    I'm excited about icloud at this point. Let's see what Steve says in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk
    05-29-2011 09:56 AM
    iPv6 will allow each and every internet-connected device to have is own unique IP address. "Tunnelling" will allow direct connection to each iPv6-enabled device, even if they are behind firewalls and NAT boxes. Perfect for iCloud syncing and streaming.

iPv6 is already an option in Mac OS X. System Preferences' Network tab has a "Configure iPv6:" popup with "Automatically" as an option in the Advanced settings. Easy. And on iOS, iPv6 is already enabled by default.

VPN lets you securely access a remote LAN. Even from unsecured public networks like coffee shop and hotel WiFi hotspots. Perfect for getting to your iCloud content.

VPN is also an option on both Mac OS X and iOS. And 10.6.8 includes improvements to both iPv6 and VPN support. Sounds to me like the iCloud infrastructure is already in place for Macs and iDevices. All Apple needs to do is to throw the switch on MobileMe 2.0, whatever that will be.
    05-30-2011 04:00 PM
    One of our guys wrote up an interesting piece I wanted to share with everyone: "Shortfalls of Cloud Based Music"

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts
    It depends. If it's gonna cost me, then no, I don't like cloud based storage. For example:

1) if iCloud comes with a monthly fee and the next iPhone/iOS REQUIRES iCloud to function, I'm not gonna be a fan.

2) if iCloud costs me indirectly- if the next iPhone is LTE & there are no unlimited LTE plans and iCloud is just sucking data all over the place, whcih results in an expensive monthly data fee, then I"m gonna switch away from iOS. I'm not going to pay to listen to the songs I've bought. I have storage on my phone, thank you.

Love the idea, but I worry for higher bills, I do not want to pay anymore for data services on my mobile device- esp since they rip us off, ie txt messages plans cost how much? Verizon, you charge $10 for 1GB of LTE data, and yet 250 text messages cost $5?
    05-30-2011 06:02 PM
    With you on that. I'm not paying for a cloud service I don't need. If the next (and all other iPhones) require it just to buy apps and listen to music in my iTunes library, then I won't ever be getting an iPhone. If it an option in addition to iTunes, that's one thing but to make it a requirement for use of iPhones and iPads, would keep me from buying and using those Apple products. I'd live with the iPhone requiring the use of iTunes, but that's where it ends for me.
    06-06-2011 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD