iPhone 3G, Previously JB on iOS 4.1 BaseBand 05.13.04

I've encountered an odd problem after jailbreaking using a custom IPSW 4.2.1 with preserved baseband 05:13:04. The phone was then unlocked using ultrasn0w 1.2.2

The JailBreak run perfectly and I haven't experienced any problems other than that explained below. I have installed apps, run a backup and transfered purchases to iTunes 10.2.1.1. Cydia is working fine (now Amazon have sorted themselves out) and all Cydia apps are installing without issue.

It seems that Apple have locked out users from accessing MobileMe accounts via Jailbroken devices (specifically my iPhone/iOS/Baseband), although this obviously needs more investigation.

When adding a new MobileMe account in Email I receive the following error.

fileden.com/files/2007/10/2/1476242/IMG_0006.bmp (I wanted to post this as an embedded picture or URL but my post count isn't high enough)

My best guess is that Apple are Validating the device by requesting a unique string created by combining the baseband and firmware. This theory is based on those two (firmware and baseband) being mismatched on my phone.

I've only found a couple of posts on other forums about this issue and they were very recent (past month), so it seems that this may only affect users updating/restoring to 4.2.1 and preserving their baseband or updating it to 6.13(iPad).

This is a very new discovery and I could be way of the mark with my theory but the symptoms of this problem have been experienced by others and seemingly there is no clear answer from those "in-the-know".

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'll be posting this up on other forums to spread my net was wide as possible.
    04-26-2011 12:54 AM
    I'll test it later on my JBen 2G and 3G and let you know what happens.
    04-26-2011 04:38 PM
    I have may iPhone 4 jailbroken on 4.2.1 and have no issues adding a mobile me account on my wife's or my phone. There shouldn't be too much of a difference between the two, as I don't see Apple creating multiple methods to validate different phone versions.
    04-26-2011 07:20 PM
    Crystus: I think you've missed my point entirely. If you have a jailbroken iphone 4 then chances are you're using the correct baseband for the firmware version. This is not the case with the 3G I'm working on. I believe the the discrepancy between those two is what Apple are detecting when "Validating" the device.

I also have a 4 that is Jailbroken and it allowed me to add MobileMe without any trouble, that's besides the point though.

Thanks for your input anyway, it's nice that you took the time to experiment and see what results you got.

The investigation continues...
    04-26-2011 09:59 PM
    Unfortunately I am not on the correct base band. I have continually maintained the original baseband 01.59.00. It has been causing me some other issues related to signal performance. Though I would highly recommend not going to the iPad baseband. There are a lot more inherent risks with that baseband. One of the major concerns in my eyes goes beyond just loosing the gps ability but the fact that once you go to the iPad baseband you may never be able to change it. Apple has changed the base band methods since the original iPhone and now requires that there be an incremental increase in the baseband # in order for the baseband to be changed. So in order to change the iPad base band Apple would have to release one that was incrementally higher than the 06.15.00, 06.18.00 for example.

The major problem with this is that you are now restricted to only using pwned ipsw's from now on. Just be careful with it if you decide to go to the iPad base band. I will continue looking around to see if i can help you as well. I know that my iPhone 4 is about 3-4 basebands behind what they are putting out now. I also am not sure if it being a 4 and behind is ok because it is newer has any bearing on it.
    04-27-2011 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD