MobileMe on iPhone and iPad?

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
So if you are wanting to use MobileMe for theiPad and iPhone, do you have to sign up for the family plan? I just have one email account but it was unclear if I had to sign up for a family plan to do multiple devices or if that meant for multiple users.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
No, you don't need the family plan. I sync 3 phones, an iPad, and 2 Macs to my MobileMe account.

As you surmised, the family plan is intended for multiple users, not multiple devices.

P.S. I highly recommend buying MobileMe from Amazon or some other 3rd party retailer for a hefty discount (up to 30% off) from the Apple price.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I agree that Google is a nice alternative. Here are some reasons why MobileMe may be worth paying for:
1. Bookmark sync (esp. when combined with XMarks plugin on desktop to enable sync with any and all desktop browsers across all your machines).
2. Gives you push Calendar, Contacts, email that works in addition to Exchange (you can have the same for Google but it will use your 1 Exchange account). But of course OS4 will allow multiple Exchange accounts.
3. Mac sync features such as dock and keychains if you have multiple macs.
4. Back-to-my-Mac feature for remote access to your Macs.
5. Cloud photo storage integrated into Photos app on iPhone.

1-3 are my main reasons

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree that Google is a nice alternative. Here are some reasons why MobileMe may be worth paying for:
1. Bookmark sync (esp. when combined with XMarks plugin on desktop to enable sync with any and all desktop browsers across all your machines).
2. Gives you push Calendar, Contacts, email that works in addition to Exchange (you can have the same for Google but it will use your 1 Exchange account). But of course OS4 will allow multiple Exchange accounts.
3. Mac sync features such as dock and keychains if you have multiple macs.
4. Back-to-my-Mac feature for remote access to your Macs.
5. Cloud photo storage integrated into Photos app on iPhone.

1-3 are my main reasons

Not to mention Find-My-iPhone!!
That's worth $99 a year alone!

Also I can't emphasize enough how janky push gmail is on the iPhone. Once every couple of weeks they have outage periods, one time it actually lasted a few weeks, where no one was receiving their emails on time. Sometimes it even tells me I have an unread email, but there are none in my inbox. Push gmail on the iPhone just isn't very good, and the contact and calendar sync is hard to configure.

Last edited:

F450Mikey

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
My iPad takes a while to get updated with Mobile Me. I can add a contact or event in on my iPhone and it appears instantly on my Mac but not on the iPad. Even after hitting the sync button. Any ideas?

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Do you have the "Fetch New Data" setting under Mail set to "Push" on your iPad?

Also, how long is "a while"? It can easily take a minute or so to update.

Also, push on the WiFi iPad is like on the iPad Touch: it only pushes while device is awake (screen on). When it's asleep it only checks once every 15 minutes. The 3G iPad with service activated should behave more like the iPhone (push even while asleep).

F450Mikey

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes push is on. I added a contact on Sunday around 8 pm and it was still not on the iPad on Monday at 5 pm. I rebooted the iPad and it appeared. I then created another new contact on my iPhone and it appeared on the mac almost instantly but not the iPad. Rebooted again and contact appeared. I deleted the contact from the iPad and it was gone from the iPhone. It looks like I have an issue pushing to the iPad but not from it.