mobileme mail

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
OK just started my free trial of mobile me.

1) I can set mobileme up to check all my email accounts and deliver all of them to my @me.com address?

2) if I leave the accounts on my iPhone I can still reply from the addresses they were sent to, such as; address@gmail.com?

3) Will this be pushed to my phone?

4) Do I need to set up my account retrieval in outlook differently? If it is checked and delivered to my mobileme account I don't necessarily want dupes from my other accounts.

I'm using windows vista on my home computer and my iPhone and may set it up on my XP laptop as well, no work computer to be involved. Mostly what I'm looking for is to have a unified inbox all my mail to come into one box no matter what account it was delivered to.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Here is what I know.:cool:

#1) Yes. Just have whatever email account you want forwarded to your @me.com account. That is what I do with my business email. It goes strait to MoMe and then pushed to my iPhone.

#2) I do not think so.:( This was a nice feature of Gmail but I do not believe that it is supported on MoMe. When you reply it will show up as yourname@me.com.

#3) Anything that is sent to MoMe will be pushed to your iPhone once you set MoMe up on your iPhone.

#4) Not sure about this one. Don't use Outlook. Again if Outlooked is forwarded to MoMe then you should not have to set up differently. Of Course there is an Exchange setting on the iPhone if you need that. Maybe someone that is a M$ user can comment more.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Unfortunately, while MobileMe on Mail.app on the desktop will reply-to from the originating address (i.e. Gmail in your example), the iPhone MobileMail.app goes with the account address (Me.com in your example).

Which is correct behavior is likely one of those long standing internet pundit/purist arguments.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I understand that it will automatically choose it's own account as the "from" field, but if I click the from field I can switch the from address to any one of the accounts on my phone, atleast that is how it seems to work.

I have now set up my gmail to forward to my me.com account and that seems to be working flawlessly, but I have a pop account with my ISP which I set mobileme to check and I still receive mail to that account on my phone.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Another question...I was able to set up my ISP email to forward to my @me.com address so now all mail is coming to me.com. I have a rule set up (in outlook) to put all mail from a certain address into a specific folder. I could not find where to make that type of rule in mobileme itself. Is it possible? I think the best method would be to have the rule applied in mobile me, rather than on outlook then sync'd back.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad Shutter posted a question about this. I have one myself. Right now on my Iphone I have a separate pop email account and the MoMe account. The pop account requires that I turn off the wi-fi on my iphone before I can send or reply to emails. I often times forget and have to reboot the iphone and start over. SO.......I set up my online MoMe account on my IMac to check for the pop account whenever I am on a computer, went back to my iphone, set the pop account to inactive, then did a test email to the pop account hoping MoMe would then get it. But, no luck. I also set the account online to save messages on the server. I want my email accounts separate in Mail. Does any of this make sense? How do I push the pop email account to my MoMe account on the iphone so even though I will be replying to someone with the MoMe address, I won't have to turn off wi-fi to do it?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
The pop account requires that I turn off the wi-fi on my iphone before I can send or reply to emails.

Why do you have to turn off your wifi to send email? Have you tried changing the smtp server that account uses? I have all my pop accounts set to use the at&t smtp server works fine for me on 3G, edge or wifi. My gmail accounts use the gmail smtp server and again works fine over 3G, edge or wifi.

Have you considered having your email forwarded to your mome account and leaving a copy on the server. In my ISP account I set it up to forward (forwards instantly so it will work like push) my email to my mome address and I chose to discard the copy, since I will have a copy on mome. But you should be able to keep a copy and download it later via your imac mail app. I'm on windows so don't know what mail program you use on a mac.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I had a heck of a time setting up my main pop account when I signed up for MoMe two weeks ago. Even with the At&T server selected I could not 'send' emails over wi-fi. Finally did some reading through my pop account which verified I could not send emails over wi-fi. It is a nuisance.
I made a folder for my pop account online with MoMe, synced through Itunes and the folder is there now but I can only retrieve my pop account via MoMe if I am checking it online. Obviously I am doing something wrong.
I use the Mac Mail app and want the 2 accounts separate on my Macs.
I'll check my online pop account to see if there is a selection to forward email to my MoMe.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I think I have it set up now, not perfect but it will work. Thanks for the tip to go to my ISP site to change the setting. I went there and set up to forward all of my pop mail to my MoMe address and it is working fine. Just wish I could set it up to send that email to a separate inbox so I recognize right away that it is from my pop mail.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
That would go back to my last question...setting up rules in mobileme to move things to certain folders when they are received. I can't find anything in mobile me, but I can do it in outlook, but when it was applied the results were strange to say the least. It's not really a huge deal for me to manually move these emails to folders on the phone, which will then sync back to my computer and mobile me.

I just need to remember to click the "to" field to see which address it was sent to before I reply, but even if I don't I chose a username, with mobileme, that is easily identifiable as me so people will still know it's from me.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Actually, in MoMe, under preferences, you can make more folders. Then, when I chose to check a pop account under 'other' I selected to send those pop emails to that folder. It simply does not do it on the Iphone, even though the folder is on the phone. Oh well, always something new to figure out!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Another question...I was able to set up my ISP email to forward to my @me.com address so now all mail is coming to me.com. I have a rule set up (in outlook) to put all mail from a certain address into a specific folder. I could not find where to make that type of rule in mobileme itself. Is it possible? I think the best method would be to have the rule applied in mobile me, rather than on outlook then sync'd back.

I do not think so. On a Mac Desktop it is called a"Smart Mailbox". Basically any email set from a specified person/company goes into their folder automatically. MoMe does not have this function exactly. You can set up email folders in MoMe that will sync back to your desktop, but the email will have to be manually put into the appropriate folder either in MoMe or your desktop. Does that make sense??:confused:

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I do not think so. On a Mac Desktop it is called a"Smart Mailbox". Basically any email set from a specified person/company goes into their folder automatically. MoMe does not have this function exactly. You can set up email folders in MoMe that will sync back to your desktop, but the email will have to be manually put into the appropriate folder either in MoMe or your desktop. Does that make sense??:confused:

Yes, kinda what I figured, maybe they will incorporate it someday.

Actually, in MoMe, under preferences, you can make more folders. Then, when I chose to check a pop account under 'other' I selected to send those pop emails to that folder. It simply does not do it on the Iphone, even though the folder is on the phone. Oh well, always something new to figure out!

I wonder if that service is available during the trial, checking of other pop accounts. I noticed the aliases feature is only available to paid subscribers.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I think I have it set up now, not perfect but it will work. Thanks for the tip to go to my ISP site to change the setting. I went there and set up to forward all of my pop mail to my MoMe address and it is working fine. Just wish I could set it up to send that email to a separate inbox so I recognize right away that it is from my pop mail.

TX, what I did is to have my personal Pop email account forwarded to a Gmail account. I then have my iPhone IMAP to my Gmail account so I get my personal email "pushed" to me. Works great with 3G,Edge, or WiFi. I have my Business account forwarded to mt MoMe account. This way I keep the two accounts seperate and in seperate InBoxes on my iPhone but both being "pushed" to me.

It works well for me. Gmail and MoMe are dead simple to set up on the iPhone.:)

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if that service is available during the trial, checking of other pop accounts. I noticed the aliases feature is only available to paid subscribers.

I am not a big fan of the Aliases. You can set it up simple enough it is that it will be put in the rest of your MoMe InBox mail. It is not separated out in a different inbox AFAIK.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure if I would have use of the aliases feature or not, was simply using it as a comparison to show that not all features are available during the trial period.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
TX, what I did is to have my personal Pop email account forwarded to a Gmail account. I then have my iPhone IMAP to my Gmail account so I get my personal email "pushed" to me. Works great with 3G,Edge, or WiFi. I have my Business account forwarded to mt MoMe account. This way I keep the two accounts seperate and in seperate InBoxes on my iPhone but both being "pushed" to me.

It works well for me. Gmail and MoMe are dead simple to set up on the iPhone.:)

Another good idea. But, then, if you reply to an email from your pop account on gmail, will it list your gmail addy or your pop addy when you reply?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
That is the nice thing about Gmail, you can set your Signature be as if it were from your pop account. While actually beingg sent from Gmail via your iPhone.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I tried Gmail as well. I don't think it gets pushed as quickly to the Iphone and I still can't reply to emails with the pop account email address.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I tried Gmail as well. I don't think it gets pushed as quickly to the Iphone and I still can't reply to emails with the pop account email address.

Where exactly are you trying to reply from? You can reply from any account that is on you iPhone.

For example I now have 5 accounts on my iPhone
1@gmail.com
2@gmail.com
3@domain.com
4@bellsouth.net
5@me.com

The first 4 have email forwarded to the @me.com account. If I choose to reply to an email, I simply click on the "From" field in the reply

002%7E3.PNG

Will take two taps, first one expands the "cc", "bcc" and "from" fields second one chooses the field. This should bring up an account choose which should list every account you have on your phone. Select the one you want.

003%7E2.PNG

Now it will be sent from that address and whichever smtp server you have active for that account.

004%7E1.PNG

I can do the same thing in outlook on my desktop, the only place I can see this as a problem is trying to send directly from MoMe's web interface, but really if I'm at my computer I'm going to use Outlook and if not, I'm probably using my phone anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2