Perhaps you've been more successful than me... I've got MobileMe working somewhat -- my contacts/calendar are on my Mac and in the Cloud (www.me.com).

And, I created an account on my iPhone called "MobileMe" that I configured. When I turn "on" the sync option on the iPhone with contacts/calendar, it tells me that it will delete all such ON the iPhone, and it did... but I not sure how to "sync" what's on my Mac/Cloud over to my iPhone. So I tried the following:

I "fired up" the MobileMe sync in the Mac menubar. Sync occurred. Contacts/calendar now on my iPhone... but any subsequent changes on Mac/Cloud don't get synced.

Presently, I have it set as "Manual" sync. Must it be set to "automatically" to get real-time sync across Mac/Web/iPhone?

Am I on the right track?
    07-12-2008 04:19 PM
    There's a setting in the System Prefs, in the pane where you have the option to set sync to "Manual", "Automatic," etc... if you click on "Advanced" on the bottom right of the pane, you then will have a button in the pane that follows to "Reset Sync Data." That will tell you in which direction you may sync.

What's frustrated me, and I'm hoping that I'm just missing something, is that there seems to be no way to truly sync the data on an ongoing basis. There seems to be no two-way merge between "The Cloud" and the Mac.

Anyone able to point me to a way to do it?

Will ditching MobilMe and simply using iTunes enable true two-way sync?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...
    07-23-2008 02:22 PM
    OK...I'm an *****.

Apparently, they do perform a genuine sync. The only time it's going to overwrite one way or the other is if you specifically *tell* MobilMe to do so in the preferences.

To answer to OP's question. Yes, you have to set it to "automatic," or whichever time interval you wish to have something close to "real-time" sync, as you put it. I don't think there's any option for instantaneous syncing. I think the shortest interval is 15 minutes.
    07-24-2008 12:40 PM
    You can go into Terminal and hack it to sync more often, but it might not be worth it. 15 minutes is pretty good.
    07-24-2008 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD