mobileme from Apple

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Kupe. I use mail2web and love it. Free hosted exchange account = free push e-mail. What could be better!

But using Exchange costs an additional $15 per month, which adds up to being $80 more than MobileMe over a year, right?

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I think it is over priced and I am concerned about security of having my info in one more place that possibly could be hacked, is that possible?

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
While I agree that it's expensive, it's one of those cases where nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. I'll try it for the 60 days free, but if it doesn't seem worth it, I'll just cancel. That would be my suggestion for everyone. And then if enough people cancel at the end of their 60 day trial, maybe the price will drop later on this year or next (not like we've ever seen Apple do something like that, right?)

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Of course you can use it with Gmail. Just forward all of your Gmail to the .me email address (you can set this up in Gmail settings). You don't have to give out that .me address to other people, and your Gmail will be pushed to you through your MobileMe account. This is what I'm planning on doing.

That's what I was thinking about doing, but how do you hide your .me email address when you reply to stuff? You can set reply-to to your Gmail address, but unless you can spoof your Gmail address, some people will notice the .me address and send to that. Once that starts happening, it's a lot harder to not renew the service down the road should you no longer want to pay for it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That's what I was thinking about doing, but how do you hide your .me email address when you reply to stuff? You can set reply-to to your Gmail address, but unless you can spoof your Gmail address, some people will notice the .me address and send to that. Once that starts happening, it's a lot harder to not renew the service down the road should you no longer want to pay for it.

Not to worry.

You cannot hide the "sent from" address but most systems provide for a separate "reply to address."

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Not to worry.

You cannot hide the "sent from" address but most systems provide for a separate "reply to address."

I'm aware of the reply to address?I actually mentioned it in my original post. My worry is that people will notice that I'm sending from the mobileme address and put that in their address books and start sending straight to it.

It's never easy to give up an email address once people start sending stuff to it, because you have to make sure everyone who has that address knows your new one.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Try Mail2Web. It's a free hosted exchange server. You'll find a lot of other ones too if you search for em.

Are you sure pushing is free? It sounds too good to be true. And the site doesn't explicitly say push e-mail; it just keeps going on about Exchange. Does using Exchange imply the use of push e-mail?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Are you sure pushing is free? It sounds too good to be true. And the site doesn't explicitly say push e-mail; it just keeps going on about Exchange. Does using Exchange imply the use of push e-mail?
When used with Activesync, Exchange is push email (and calendar/contacts sync).

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
They picked a bad time to have something THIS expensive... They have something great for the iphone and could easily make it cheaper ( And Most Likely WILL and just get the people with the big cash first) and get more customers.... but greed is one powerful sin....

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
When used with Activesync, Exchange is push email (and calendar/contacts sync).

Thank ya Kupe, kindly. :)

I've just never been a Microsoft buff, and I'm skeptical of all things free. I guess offering non-business users the free stuff generates buzz/traffic. I'll definitely be using that site.

And would Activesync sync to iCal, or would that be asking too much?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
They picked a bad time to have something THIS expensive... They have something great for the iphone and could easily make it cheaper ( And Most Likely WILL and just get the people with the big cash first) and get more customers.... but greed is one powerful sin....
Why is something that costs $8/mo full price ($5/mo new users) "expensive?" There are ample examples online that indicate $10-12 per month is the going price.. And those other online examples don't include online picture and data synchronization like MobileMe will.

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I think that some people are missing some of the features of mobileMe. Yes it provides the push contacts, calendar, mail, but look at the other features. You get the 20GB of online storage. An extremely easy way to share your photos directly from your phone. A web site that will more than likely integrate into most of the apps developed by Apple.

Also, since I am a current .Mac user I can say that getting the extra features for the exact same price that I have been paying is very nice. I don't know how but I definitely get far less junk mail on my .mac account then say on my gmail or yahoo. I would encourage all of you folks to take it for a spin for the first 60 days. We should start a poll again 60 days after the iPhone comes out to see who is going to subscribe to mobileMe. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Highly doubt the price will drop in the near future. All it is really is a upgrade from .mac. Which has been around for a while at the same price. So Apple pretty much improved .mac and kept the same price. For what it offers $100 a year is not much to ask.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it's too expensive as it stands. These subscription services are starting to pop up everywhere. However, I think for that price there should be unlimited storage. I have unlimited storage on my Yahoo mail client and Flickr. That costs me $50 a year. If MobileMe had unlimited storage it would start to get close to other alternatives that aren't as well integrated.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
by the way all.. anyone who is using a .mac account.. your email address is properly translating to @me.com now... atleast for me...

although the website is most certainly not working..

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I've had .mac for almost 3 years and it is waaaay too expensive, but it is also pretty easy to have everything sync, post photos, videos to web etc... It should be a lot less though IMHO. You can probably do all the same stuff for free maybe via google, but apple has built it into their infrastructure to coax people into buying it...

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
this would be worth it if you could store and stream mp3 files from mobile me to your phone with double the hard drive space

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Why is something that costs $8/mo full price ($5/mo new users) "expensive?" There are ample examples online that indicate $10-12 per month is the going price.. And those other online examples don't include online picture and data synchronization like MobileMe will.

I believe that when you add on to the fact that the iphone itself is already $75 a month Plus a text fee, plus all the amount of other money people can use one other more necessary this will not be something the $200 first time iphone users or average person with not that much money to waste will buy. I know MANY people will use it but I believe it's not the best timing for it.

Thinking about this from a business perspective ( Evil Business) they should have said it was free.. got everyone to see how good it is and how much you HAVE TO HAVE IT and then say....NOW you must pay and see how many are willing to do so. That would have been genius.

But this just me, and how I see things.
The only one who know's who is right is Time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro