mobileme from Apple

mpfrink

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm really happy they're allowing a 60-day trial. I really like the concept of this thing but in the back of my mind I could see myself barely using the full functionality. Plus, it kinda pisses me off that I would have to have ANOTHER new email address, if I could use it with my Gmail address, i'll be all over it for sure.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
The 60-day trial is a very smart idea. Apple is using it as an opportunity for users to get acclimated to the software and features and if we do choose to dive in, we'll be ready. Also, don't forget if you buy a Mac, i believe you receive a 30% discount on MobileMe. I have heard of amazon also providing discounts within that range. 70 bucks is definitely a lot more palatable.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I pay for .Mac now and I'd say value is border line - each year I wonder if it's really worth it but each year I do end up renewing. For me the curent .Mac service is justified mostly by the simplicity and integration rather than the raw functionality: simple backup and syncing (between Macs) of contacts, calendar, bookmarks, keychains (incl. 1Password), mail accounts and rules etc; simple publishing of photos from Aperture; simple vnc ('Back to My Mac'); easy storage on iDisk, etc. I quite expect most of that can be done more cheaply in other ways, but I'm sure it can't be done as easily.

MobileMe is a different matter and the OTA syncing to iPhone completely pushes it into the 'decent value' category for me. I'd like it a lot if I never had to connect my phone to a computer via a cable again and everything was kept 100% in sync, 100% of the time, OTA. This at least gets us part way there. Podcast syncing over 3G and/or Wifi would I think be the next best step, although complete wireless syncing with iTunes would be required for the solution that I'd really like to see.

Last edited:

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The 60-day trial is a very smart idea. Apple is using it as an opportunity for users to get acclimated to the software and features and if we do choose to dive in, we'll be ready. Also, don't forget if you buy a Mac, i believe you receive a 30% discount on MobileMe. I have heard of amazon also providing discounts within that range. 70 bucks is definitely a lot more palatable.
Well they have always had the 60 day trial thing for .Mac, so I don't really find that as a wow factor. I would have expected a trial period. I still don't think it is worth it. I read everyone's opinions and everyone has good reasons for paying for the service, but I can't see myself shelling out 100 a year to keep my email address.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Well they have always had the 60 day trial thing for .Mac, so I don't really find that as a wow factor. I would have expected a trial period. I still don't think it is worth it. I read everyone's opinions and everyone has good reasons for paying for the service, but I can't see myself shelling out 100 a year to keep my email address.

You are more than welcome to your opinion, but you are short changing the service. Apple has offered Exchange services to everyone. This is something that has never been done before for such a low price.

You aren't just paying for the mail address. If you will never use the push calender, contacts, and you don't need push mail, and you will never use photo syncing, then of course it isn't a good deal. If you are like me and have wished you could have those things for years, it is an excellent deal. I have always hated the functionality that Exchange and BES users have had on their WinMo and BB devices while the only thing I got was push mail.

It is just another subjective service, but no matter what, it is a good value.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
$99/12= $8.25

$8.25/30= $.28

If you need to, just break it down to the ridiculous and you will see how inexpensive it is. It is roughly 28 cents a day to have the MobileMe service, or $8.25 a month. One less McDonalds trip a month and it is paid for.

cfd954

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
I currently have .mac and have to say that it is a great deal as it includes web hosting with domain name support. I used to be paying $12 a month for basic hosting through yahoo and now I pay only $99 max a year for hosting so it is already a savings. In addition I also get great email and syncing for my mac so when they launch mobile me I am getting even more added value. Either way I would suggest trying the 60 day free trial and seeing if it is right for you, thats what I did and I have been sold ever since.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
I'm really happy they're allowing a 60-day trial. I really like the concept of this thing but in the back of my mind I could see myself barely using the full functionality. Plus, it kinda pisses me off that I would have to have ANOTHER new email address, if I could use it with my Gmail address, i'll be all over it for sure.

Of course you can use it with Gmail. Just forward all of your Gmail to the .me email address (you can set this up in Gmail settings). You don't have to give out that .me address to other people, and your Gmail will be pushed to you through your MobileMe account. This is what I'm planning on doing.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
See I would be all over this service but I've been using Yahoo and you can't forward Yahoo mail unless you are paying the service. I'm not about to pay for it just to forward my mail. Bummer...

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Also, just to clarify, using any exchange server will cost you an extra $15 a month from AT&T. Exchange is only available on their business tier of service. I'm interested in the Funambol client for iPhone now. It seems like it might replace MobileMe nicely.

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
hmmm... I'm on Yahoo too and not willing to pay another $15 just for this. so no MobileMe for me.
that's ok. I can live without it.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
As I read more and more about the new iPhone it is just getting more and more expensive to use all the features. I am reaching a tipping point on form vs. function vs. price. Weighing all these on my scale of importance; the iPhone is coming ahead on form but is losing on function and price to the Treo800 that is coming out on Sprint. AT&T is raking everyone over the coals on plans (plus extra for enterprise), Apple is collecting their extra for MobileMe, and we have yet to know how many apps are going to be free vs. how many we will have to fork over serious $ for. I don't want it to be so, but iPhone keeps sliding in my possibility of purchasing.

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I think greed will be its downfall, but I don't know if I'd blame Apple as much as I'd blame the carriers for this. Apple must be shaking their head for allowing companies like AT&T and Rogers preventing them to get the customer base they would really have gotten had they just sold the device themselves and had it branded like any other smartphone. I would have bought the iPhone 3G outright at the original $600, just as I've been buying original HTC devices from the getgo for as much as $850, then doing the data and voice plan as a darn well please.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
As I read more and more about the new iPhone it is just getting more and more expensive to use all the features. I am reaching a tipping point on form vs. function vs. price. Weighing all these on my scale of importance; the iPhone is coming ahead on form but is losing on function and price to the Treo800 that is coming out on Sprint. AT&T is raking everyone over the coals on plans (plus extra for enterprise), Apple is collecting their extra for MobileMe, and we have yet to know how many apps are going to be free vs. how many we will have to fork over serious $ for. I don't want it to be so, but iPhone keeps sliding in my possibility of purchasing.

I have to disagree with you. We are now on a level playing field along with every other smartphone that At&t has (plan wise). No more, no less. As for the apps, how is that any different than say buying a app for the Treo? It isn't.

Oh and Mobileme is not really new since it is just replacing .mac. Again, mobileme is no more than anyone was paying for .mac services.

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I actually am quite excited about the mobileMe, and one of the main reasons I want to get a new iPhone. I am a bit biased as I already have a .Mac account, but I think I only have 4 months left on my current subscription. I love that all my info will auto update on my mac at home. Now I only have to sync to change up my music, and vids. :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR