mobileme from Apple

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Everyone wants everything for free. 20GB storage, server time, and bandwidth for $20. Complicated software for $5 because it only runs on a phone. Free cookies.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I just think $99 is too much. Other services for upgraded e-mail and whatever, e.g. Yahoo, charge only $20 a year. Gmail is free and I don't know how much Windows Live Hotmail charges. I personally dont need the 20 GB storage. Maybe if they had a tiered option it would be more attractive.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
But the yahoo service doesn't offer all the features of .me. You are comparing apple's and yahoo's. And, of course, if you don't find the service worth it, Steve Jobs isn't going to force you to pony up.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I would like a slimmed down version of mobileme that only includes:

1. Push email, push calendar, and push contacts
2. 5-10 GB of storage space for e-mail

Price for this: $30

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I've got an Exchange server that does all that for me :p But no, I wouldn't pay for it if otherwise. Too many web based apps (Google, Yahoo!, Remember the Milk, etc.) for $0.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
BlackBerry Personal data plan is $30 a month and all you get is push mail.

BlackBerry Enterprise data plan is $45 a month and you can sync to a BES server to receive everything you get with MobileMe, assuming your company runs a BES server. If you want personal BES service, you have to use a hosted BES solution that can have a varying cost. The cheapest I have ever seen is $9.99 a month.

With MobileMe, you pay $30 a month for your iPhone plan, and you pay $8.25 a month for the MobileMe service. You are paying a total of $38.25 for a huge amount of features that were previously unavailable to the consumer market, unless you were will to shell out $55, if not more. That doesn't include minutes...

It is a good deal through and through.

Last edited:

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I think MobileMe is a bit over priced but that's like complaining about how much the macbook pro or mac pro costs. There's an 'Apple tax' on their products, we all know that now.

What I'm hopeful about is that it's leap and bounds better than .Mac, and from the looks of it, it is

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
An Apple Tax is a good way of putting it. Apple always overprices thing. I am going to try out the mobileme service and if I like it, I might pay for it for a year. But here is the problem. If I want to keep that e-mail address (is it still going to be @mac.com), I will have to keep paying. It is a never ending cycle.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
An Apple Tax is a good way of putting it. Apple always overprices thing. I am going to try out the mobileme service and if I like it, I might pay for it for a year. But here is the problem. If I want to keep that e-mail address (is it still going to be @mac.com), I will have to keep paying. It is a never ending cycle.

Dude, I pay more than what Apple is charging for Mobile Me for a Personal Exchange account via 4Smartphone.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
I think this is definitely worth it. This syncs my PC with Outlook at work, my Mac at home, and my iPhone. The photo albums and 20GB(!) iDisk are great too. (I can't tell you how much I hate using YouSendIt.) $99 may be a bit more than I would like to pay, but there is no other service that does ALL of this. Some do a little here, and a little there, but MobileMe seems to be the perfect syncing solution, especially for those of us without Exchange. (iDisk seems to make it even better than Exchange.) I'll definitely be getting it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro