When used with Activesync, Exchange is push email (and calendar/contacts sync).
    Thank ya Kupe, kindly.

I've just never been a Microsoft buff, and I'm skeptical of all things free. I guess offering non-business users the free stuff generates buzz/traffic. I'll definitely be using that site.

And would Activesync sync to iCal, or would that be asking too much?
    07-06-2008 11:40 AM
    They picked a bad time to have something THIS expensive... They have something great for the iphone and could easily make it cheaper ( And Most Likely WILL and just get the people with the big cash first) and get more customers.... but greed is one powerful sin....
    Why is something that costs $8/mo full price ($5/mo new users) "expensive?" There are ample examples online that indicate $10-12 per month is the going price.. And those other online examples don't include online picture and data synchronization like MobileMe will.
    07-06-2008 11:53 AM
    I think that some people are missing some of the features of mobileMe. Yes it provides the push contacts, calendar, mail, but look at the other features. You get the 20GB of online storage. An extremely easy way to share your photos directly from your phone. A web site that will more than likely integrate into most of the apps developed by Apple.

Also, since I am a current .Mac user I can say that getting the extra features for the exact same price that I have been paying is very nice. I don't know how but I definitely get far less junk mail on my .mac account then say on my gmail or yahoo. I would encourage all of you folks to take it for a spin for the first 60 days. We should start a poll again 60 days after the iPhone comes out to see who is going to subscribe to mobileMe.
    07-06-2008 11:56 AM
    They picked a bad time to have something THIS expensive... They have something great for the iphone and could easily make it cheaper ( And Most Likely WILL and just get the people with the big cash first) and get more customers.... but greed is one powerful sin....
    Highly doubt the price will drop in the near future. All it is really is a upgrade from .mac. Which has been around for a while at the same price. So Apple pretty much improved .mac and kept the same price. For what it offers $100 a year is not much to ask.
    07-06-2008 12:12 PM
    I don't think it's too expensive as it stands. These subscription services are starting to pop up everywhere. However, I think for that price there should be unlimited storage. I have unlimited storage on my Yahoo mail client and Flickr. That costs me $50 a year. If MobileMe had unlimited storage it would start to get close to other alternatives that aren't as well integrated.
    07-06-2008 12:47 PM
    by the way all.. anyone who is using a .mac account.. your email address is properly translating to @me.com now... atleast for me...

although the website is most certainly not working..
    07-06-2008 12:51 PM
    I've had .mac for almost 3 years and it is waaaay too expensive, but it is also pretty easy to have everything sync, post photos, videos to web etc... It should be a lot less though IMHO. You can probably do all the same stuff for free maybe via google, but apple has built it into their infrastructure to coax people into buying it...
    07-06-2008 01:27 PM
    I've had .mac for almost 3 years and it is waaaay too expensive,
    LOL - it's obviously not "waaaay too expensive" if you've kept it for over 3 years!
    07-06-2008 01:51 PM
    this would be worth it if you could store and stream mp3 files from mobile me to your phone with double the hard drive space
    07-06-2008 07:09 PM
    Why is something that costs $8/mo full price ($5/mo new users) "expensive?" There are ample examples online that indicate $10-12 per month is the going price.. And those other online examples don't include online picture and data synchronization like MobileMe will.
    I believe that when you add on to the fact that the iphone itself is already $75 a month Plus a text fee, plus all the amount of other money people can use one other more necessary this will not be something the $200 first time iphone users or average person with not that much money to waste will buy. I know MANY people will use it but I believe it's not the best timing for it.

Thinking about this from a business perspective ( Evil Business) they should have said it was free.. got everyone to see how good it is and how much you HAVE TO HAVE IT and then say....NOW you must pay and see how many are willing to do so. That would have been genius.

But this just me, and how I see things.
    The only one who know's who is right is Time.
    07-06-2008 07:23 PM
    Thinking about this from a business perspective ( Evil Business) they should have said it was free.. got everyone to see how good it is and how much you HAVE TO HAVE IT and then say....NOW you must pay and see how many are willing to do so. That would have been genius.
    Or more likely, that would be called bait-n-switch and subject to a class action suit. But it would be entertaining to see them try.
    07-06-2008 09:41 PM
    i have a .mac account and have been please with the options. it is an easy way for my wife to create and maintain a website, blog, etc... without having to go with multiple services. so while it may be a little pricey the added expense is worth the convenience.
    07-06-2008 11:45 PM
    I've had a .Mac account since before it was .Mac (anyone remember iTools?) and I've never thought it was overpriced. I'm excited for the new features, especially the push syncing, and a doubling of my iDisk is awesome too.
    07-07-2008 12:02 AM
    So I will be moving over to a 3G iphone from a Blackberry Curve..

I am a sole trader businessman

Just one phone

And several business email addresses to work with

I am getting worried that the 'push' email function on the iphone mobileme will only work for @mobileme.com email addresses..

Is that correct?

On my Blackberry (o2 network UK) I just go to an o2 web page and enter in all the details of the business email addresses that I want pushed to my Blackberry - and it does it. No problem. I am not running a 'server' and I am not part of a big company running its own IT department - its simply part of the 35 monthly phone subscription and this is what the professional business push email is all about.

If mobileme can only push its OWN emails and cant do it for other email addresses - this isn't a real business solution.. And I don't want to have to futz around with bouncing emails through google..

Anyway - can someone put me out of my misery and tell me it ain't so?

Please tell me that iphone can push business emails and not just mobileme addresses created from 11th July 2008 onwards...

Thanks,

P.s. if all that is useless I suppose I can set it to fetch my emails every 5 mins or so..? But will my mac Mail become a mess? I would like my laptop Mail and my iphone's Mail program to contain the same EXACT data - sent and received mails . (even if I have to do some manual syncing)
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 07-07-2008 at 10:52 AM.
    07-07-2008 10:36 AM
    I am getting worried that the 'push' email function on the iphone mobileme will only work for @mobileme.com email addresses..

Is that correct?
    No, any and all e-mail addresses can be forwarded to a MobileMe account. The setup for it should be really easy.
    07-07-2008 11:09 AM
    Phew! Thats a relief!

Thanks!

Now I can sleep at night!

07-07-2008 11:24 AM
    Er hang on..

I wasn't asking about forwarding to a mobileme account..

I was asking about pushing my business emails to my phone

There is a big difference, pretty much any email software can forward emails.

Push email is different.

Does anyone know if mobileme will push non mobileme email addresses (Blackberry style) to the the iphone?

I guess I need the "Enterprise for the rest of us" part explained to me clearly.

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 07-07-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    07-07-2008 11:26 AM
    Er hang on..

I wasn't asking about forwarding to a mobileme account..

I was asking about pushing my business emails to my phone

There is a big difference, pretty much any email software can forward emails.

Push email is different.

Does anyone know if mobileme will push non mobileme email addresses (Blackberry style) to the the iphone?

I guess I need the "Enterprise for the rest of us" part explained to me clearly.

Thanks in advance..
    Does your business use exchange? If it does you can use that for push email on the iPhone.

And no, mobileme will only push @me.com email.
    07-07-2008 11:36 AM
    The other services you cite are ad-supported, etc.
    Gmail is not ad supported!
    07-07-2008 11:37 AM
    Does your business use exchange? If it does you can use that for push email on the iPhone.

And no, mobileme will only push @me.com email.

On my Blackberry (o2 network UK) I just go to an o2 web page and enter in all the details of the business email addresses that I want pushed to my Blackberry - and it does it. No problem. I am not running a 'server' and I am not part of a big company running its own IT department - its simply part of the 35 monthly phone subscription
    (

OK while I now try to stab myself to death with a large spoon, would someone that knows what I want the phone to do - please tell me the 'work around' to deal with already established business email addresses then?

a) forget the push email its only for @me.com and is not in fact a Blackberry style 'enterprise' solution as advertised but instead a 'vanilla' non business push email service.

b) Change them all to @me.com addresses - who cares about domain names established for over 10 years eh?

c) good luck with the spoon you miserable Blackberry loving SOB

d) I have only just realized this limitation where too can I find a big spoon and join you in death?
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 07-07-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    07-07-2008 11:48 AM
    Good luck with the spoon... and if you need any help, let me know.
    07-07-2008 11:50 AM
    (

OK while I now try to stab myself to death with a large spoon, would someone that knows what I want the phone to do - please tell me the 'work around' to deal with already established business email addresses then?

a) forget the push email its only for @me.com and is not in fact a Blackberry style 'enterprise' solution as advertised but instead a 'vanilla' non business push email service.

b) Change them all to @me.com addresses

c) good luck with the spoon you miserable SOB

d) I have only just realized this limitation where too can I find a big spoon?
    It's really up to you if you want to change your email to @me.com....... if not, good luck with your spoon... or set up a exchange server or pay for one online. Do a google search and you can find many websites that offer that for a fee.
    07-07-2008 11:51 AM
    (

b) Change them all to @me.com addresses - who cares about domain names established for over 10 years eh?

c) good luck with the spoon you miserable Blackberry loving SOB

d) I have only just realized this limitation where too can I find a big spoon and join you in death?
    Is your email already hosted on an Exchange server that supports ActiveSync push? If it is, you can get your email by connecting directly to it.
    07-07-2008 12:17 PM
    Is your email already hosted on an Exchange server that supports ActiveSync push? If it is, you can get your email by connecting directly to it.
    Oh don't ask him that... I did already and he didn't respond very well.
    07-07-2008 12:20 PM
    Yeah, I already stated earlier that the email push service I use now is the basic consumer level one offered on my Blackberry tariff.

You enter the pop email and passwords into the web admin page and bingo! All your emails are pushed by the phone company to your Blackberry.

Business A emails arrive as - Business A emails
    Business B emails arrive as - Business B emails
    Business C emails arrive as - Business C emails
    Google emails arrive as - Google emails

There is no private server involved, its a service for individual users offered by the phone company as part of your Blackberry account and costs peanuts.

I was hoping that the "enterprise for the rest of us" was just that - a Blackberry enterprise style push service (or the consumer level one that I use now whatever..) for everyone on mobileme

OK the majority of Blackberry use is associated with company servers, but there is that private user service too - what cant mobileme do that? Bummer.. and misleading imho.. the ads make you think iphone can replace Blackberry push.

Anyway - if I forget the push aspect of email on iphone will all my mail programs be exactly the same via isync? - or do I need to get IMAP involved too?

Thanks..
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 07-07-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    07-07-2008 03:56 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD