Question for HomePod Stereo users

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I Have a question for people who have two Homepods setup to work in Stereo.

Has anyone heard soundstage depth with your HomePods where instruments sound like they are coming from not only a different location than where the speakers are placed but also behind or in front of the speaker itself almost an audible 3d effect or as if there were people in the room playing instruments at different locations.

I've only heard this effect once at an audio show in a hotel where you went around to different rooms where mostly expensive high end systems were demonstrated. One particular room had two Swedish made Larsen speakers playing Jazz on vinyl, I was amazed how the music seemed to came from different parts of the room with the two speakers in this case sat against a wall.

I'm wondering if the Homepods with their 360 design and digital processor adjusting for room acoustics can produce this sound.

Thanks!

This is a similar set up to what I heard

Larsen-speakers-and-esp-and-pear-audio_large.jpeg

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello @last_attempt.

Unfortunately I do not have any Homepods installed but hopefully someone who does will be along that does and can address your question.

Thanks.

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Yes I hope so but from all the reviews I’ve read no one has seemed to mention it.
I think it takes unique speakers and probably only happens on certain music but it’s really impressive when you hear it!

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
To answer your question, there is no way Apple's dinky little speaker (or any other small bluetooth speaker) sounds anywhere NEAR what your pictured system sounds like.

There is no substitute for lots of power and real speakers. "360 design and digital processor adjusting for room acoustics" only gets you so much. Which is - compared to the system in the picture - not very much.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
To answer your question, there is no way Apple's dinky little speaker (or any other small bluetooth speaker) sounds anywhere NEAR what your pictured system sounds like.

There is no substitute for lots of power and real speakers. "360 design and digital processor adjusting for room acoustics" only gets you so much. Which is - compared to the system in the picture - not very much.

Yes, I like and approve of this comment. The trade has been making excuses for awful sound and power since the introduction of the mini stack CD player. I had a better sound system 45 years ago !

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Although, to be fair, some/many/most/all (take your pick) of today's music listeners grew up with an iPod - or some other MP3 player - and crappy earbuds. They were listening to 128k (or worse) MP3s with the earbuds that came with the MP3 player. Those earbuds were horrible, barely adequate to listen to voice podcasts.

So, naturally a bluetooth speaker sounds like a revelation to them. They have never heard music thru a real audio system with real speakers.

The good news is, today's earbuds actually sound pretty good. Even the bluetooth models have improved dramatically in the past couple years. And, there ARE good bluetooth speakers these days. But they are not tiny "smart speakers".

Yes, the HomePod is cute. It takes up WAY less space than the system in the above pic. But one is no substitute for the other. A VW beetle is cute too, but it is no substitute for a Rolls Royce.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2