The HomePod is a failed product, in my opinion.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So I am a homepod owner, and I love mine. But there is no disputing that this is a failed product from Apple. Way overpriced and far too limited on what Siri can do this thing was doomed from the start.

Here’s hoping that Apple finally realizes that they can’t just put their logo on something that there a millions of options already available and expect it to sell at a massively inflated price.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: This forum’s activity says it all

I love my HomePod too. But it is overpriced. I think $200 to $250 would have been better.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This forum’s activity says it all

I also feel that it’s overpriced. It was never a consideration for us because of this.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Failing to meet one’s expectations does not equate to a failed product. The HomePod is first and foremost a ‘speaker’ with Siri built-in.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've read quite a few articles regarding HomePod sales based on retailers and it would imply the HomePod isn't a HUGE success. I'd imagine price is a primary reason for that. That's the reason I didn't get one. For the price, it's rather limited in what it can do as a device.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Failing to meet one’s expectations does not equate to a failed product. The HomePod is first and foremost a ‘speaker’ with Siri built-in.

I agree... and I was thinking about my response earlier. I know that there are many folks who are quite happy with theirs. I don't think it's been the big seller that Apple hoped it would be, but while it's not for me, I don't think that means it's a failure either.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree... and I was thinking about my response earlier. I know that there are many folks who are quite happy with theirs. I don't think it's been the big seller that Apple hoped it would be, but while it's not for me, I don't think that means it's a failure either.

I understand and I agree that it’s expensive for a single speaker.

tbsteph

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Too soon to announce the HomePod as a failure (Not sure it should be considered such even now.). I realize sales thus far, compared to Alexa devices, etc., lag significantly. However, that is a poor comparison. Kinda like comparing a cheap Android phone with an iPhone.

With that said, I suspect the HomePod will remain a niche product unless its capabilities improve and the price decreases. Will that happen? Probably at least in the former case.

From my perspective, the biggest limitation currently is the inability to connect the HomePod via Bluetooth to non Apple (Or, non AirPlay) devices. Originally I thought about getting two and using them with my TV. Not.

Great speaker. Make it work with any Bluetooth device and closer to $250 and I think the HomePod would be a big winner. (FWIW, I have owned a HomePod for a couple of months. Got it from Best Buy for $250.)

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Too early to call it a failure. Apple does need to market a lower priced version, for say $200. However, Siri also needs major improvements!

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
As a speaker with competitive Siri functionality, the Homepod could be competitive at about $200 - 250. however, AS A HOME HUB, IT NEEDS TO BE EVEN LESS EXPENSIVE.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t think it is a failure,it’s just not for me. In fact I don’t think any system so far is for me,the idea that a wifi speaker can possibly,by itself reach out and communicate with other systems is a great big No as far as I’m concerned.

Luca Dondero

Feb 28, 2019
Visit site
So I am a homepod owner, and I love mine. But there is no disputing that this is a failed product from Apple. Way overpriced and far too limited on what Siri can do this thing was doomed from the start.

Here’s hoping that Apple finally realizes that they can’t just put their logo on something that there a millions of options already available and expect it to sell at a massively inflated price.

It did grow up over 45% in the last quarter. It’s great product with amazing sound. Alexa or google are failed products : privacy matter . And google home was gifted at the stores if you buy a television or fridge . That’s the answer.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Who said it failed to meet expectations. I specifically said that I love mine. Its a fantastic speaker. Its a failed product because its sales are abysmal.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It did grow up over 45% in the last quarter. It’s great product with amazing sound. Alexa or google are failed products : privacy matter . And google home was gifted at the stores if you buy a television or fridge . That’s the answer.

It grew over the holidays 45% which was 45% from basically nothing. And at that time there were a ton of sales for $100 off the device. Success of a product is measured by sales, and when you are Apple, they have to be big or its a failure.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Who said it failed to meet expectations. I specifically said that I love mine. Its a fantastic speaker. Its a failed product because its sales are abysmal.

You did! In the initial post you stated,

”...But there is no disputing that this is a failed product from Apple. ....”

Then you went on to state why, in your opinion, which basically equates to it failing to meet your expectations.