The HomePod is a failed product, in my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's in no way stating that it failed to meet MY expectations, which is what you were claiming. I specifically stated I very much liked mine. From a sales standpoint its failed to meet expectations.

My bad!...I misunderstood your post. My apologies.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's objectively better. It can do a whole lot more than the HomePod. The HomePod doesn't even have a display.

I don’t like google in my home and I have not been pleased with the google home device I had. It would lock my chrome cast to YouTube and not disconnect without being unplugged. It would lose connection to my hue lights regularly. The sound was not as good as my HomePod and it was a pain in the butt to set up. I don’t want any smart speaker with a screen. I don’t see value in that. So for me the choice was clear. If what you bought works for you then great.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I don’t like google in my home and I have not been pleased with the google home device I had. It would lock my chrome cast to YouTube and not disconnect without being unplugged. It would lose connection to my hue lights regularly. The sound was not as good as my HomePod and it was a pain in the butt to set up. I don’t want any smart speaker with a screen. I don’t see value in that. So for me the choice was clear. If what you bought works for you then great.

You don’t like google, great. But that doesn’t mean the Google Home Hub isn’t objectively better than the HopePpd.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel like most people don’t give a damn what their smart speakers sound like. That’s why people see the price of a HomePod and see how limited Siri is think an echo is better than a HomePod even though it sounds like crap. And for the people that do care about sound quality, they are probably going to get/already have true hifi speakers. Add to that that you have to have an iOS device to even use it (which is weird because you can use Apple Music on Android but need an iPhone to use HomePod?) and you can see why sales are down

However, I think HomePod is the best sounding speaker for $350 or less (now $300) on the market.

PS I don’t know why people buy it and then say they hardly use it. You should have known Siri’s limitations beforehand and if you aren’t using it for music very often then why bother shelling out $300+?

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You don’t like google, great. But that doesn’t mean the Google Home Hub isn’t objectively better than the HopePpd.

Maybe the Google hone products are better as a voice assistant but for actual audio quality, even the Home Max pales in comparison.

Maybe the Google hone products are better as a voice assistant but for actual audio quality, even the Home Max pales in comparison.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
But if you want audio-quality then you could just get a Bose smart speaker which has the same/better audio quality than the Apple HomePod, is roughly the same size and has a better assistant in the form of Alexa. All for $100-150 less.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
With the recent report that Apple's Homepod is now lumped in with the embarrassing "other" in overall sales of smart speakers I think its a safe play to call this product a failure. Maybe a cheaper version with more features will improve sales. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but there was no way this thing was going to sell in this crowded market at that price.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
With the recent report that Apple's Homepod is now lumped in with the embarrassing "other" in overall sales of smart speakers I think its a safe play to call this product a failure. Maybe a cheaper version with more features will improve sales. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but there was no way this thing was going to sell in this crowded market at that price.

I definitely would have been interested if the price had been lower.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I definitely would have been interested if the price had been lower.

Same here Annie, but there are just too many "Smart Speakers" on the market at reasonable price points that are better in an overall sense in my honest opinion.
I'm not sure I would consider the Apple HomePod a failure but it sure didn't sell like "normal" Apple products do/did.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Same here Annie, but there are just too many "Smart Speakers" on the market at reasonable price points that are better in an overall sense in my honest opinion.
I'm not sure I would consider the Apple HomePod a failure but it sure didn't sell like "normal" Apple products do/did.

Agreed! People who have them seem to really like them. And while sales may be disappointing, I don't think the HomePod is a failure either.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use my HomePod often, especially when I want to listen to music at home without using headphones or when I want to listen to the sounds of rain/thunderstorms. The sound is so life-like. I’m not one to ask Siri to create the universe so in that regard, I’m very pleased overall with it.

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Too much dosh ! not failed just stalled.
I’m not having any open mike device unless it’s got a bloody great red light on it while it’s capable of connecting with the internet.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple priced it too high for as limited as it was. There were better options that offered more features when it released. I'm waiting on one more price drop before I pick one up.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple priced it too high for as limited as it was. There were better options that offered more features when it released. I'm waiting on one more price drop before I pick one up.

Apple prices almost everything too high in my opinion. Until people stop paying these ridiculous prices they won’t stop.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I've been tempted to pickup a refurb HomePod from the Apple site but I still feel like the price is more than it should be based on it's limitations so I'm still waiting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR