One author described the HomePod as “Openly Hostile”.....WTH!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the kind of stuff that irks the heck out of me. While viewing some tech news via the native Apple News app, I came across an article in regard to the HomePod. Instead of describing how well or how crappy it sounds, the author chose to “seemingly” attempt to scare people into not buying it.

He stated, “This speaker is openly hostile to any hardware or service not made by Apple”.

Really? Openly hostile? Unbelievable! It’s a friggin’ inanimate object!

Anyway, at the very end of the article, the author states, “Apple’s HomePod is, by all accounts, a superb speaker that sets a new benchmark for sound quality in its size and price class.”

Source: https://apple.news/AwULT3JWPSv2U2_CxVxnHcw

What are thoughts about this topic?

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I read that one yesterday and I see where he’s coming from.

Since the HomePod is strictly an Apple device and wont stream via bluetooth, if you ever leave Apple it becomes unusable. That may make alot of people second guess getting one.

I think its a huge mistake closing off the bluetooth connection. It does create a scenario that some may feel trapped with Apple the more they buy from them.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Since the HomePod is strictly an Apple device and wont stream via bluetooth, if you ever leave Apple it becomes unusable. That may make alot of people second guess getting one.

I think its a huge mistake closing off the bluetooth connection. It does create a scenario that some may feel trapped with Apple the more they buy from them.

Don’t get me wrong. I understood exactly what the author was saying I disagree with the choice of words. In addition, it’s okay for certain things to remain proprietary, in my opinion. Can Google’s or Amazon’s pod play Apple Music without the phone? I honestly don’t know the answer, but I’m curious to know. Anyway, I appreciate the reply...Thank you...

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Don’t get me wrong. I understood exactly what the author was saying I disagree with the choice of words. In addition, it’s okay for certain things to remain proprietary, in my opinion. Can Google’s or Amazon’s pod play Apple Music without the phone? I honestly don’t know the answer, but I’m curious to know. Anyway, I appreciate the reply...Thank you...

Cant comment on Alexa but Google Home can only play it through bluetooth. Something the HomePod left out for some reason and could be a big deciding factor for those interested in one.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Cant comment on Alexa but Google Home can only play it through bluetooth. Something the HomePod left out for some reason and could be a big deciding factor for those interested in one.

Okay. Great. Thank you!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Seems like hyperbole. I get what he’s saying though. It’s interesting though. To purchase a HomePod is to say, “I’ll never use another device other than Apple for as long as I own this $350 accessory”. It’s a pretty insane limitation on such a pricy device.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Okay. Great. Thank you!

I do agree with you, the title of that article was a bit absurd. I could think of many more appropriate titles he could have used.

“Homepod: Great sound for Apple diehards” as an example. I dont really see the Homepod as a hostile device. That sounds kind of Terminator-ish.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I am happy walled in my Apple ecosystem. Everything I own from Apple serves a useful purpose (for me) and it all works flawlessly together. If I felt the need to use other things outside of Apple’s ecosystem perhaps I’d feel the same, but I’m perfectly happy being an “Apple Sheep”. By the way, the HomePod is awesome! Incredible sound.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Literally, in my opinion, one of the worst articles on the Verge. Seems to be the Fox News v. Democrats.

...and it pretty much guarantees that you’ll be using the HomePod as the primary listening device in your home.

Answer) Wrong, it's the primary listening device in my office. I still use a speaker bar for my TV. Don't tell us what we will and won't be doing.

...because to even consider a HomePod you must already have at least one foot inside Apple’s ecosystem.

Answer) Yes, we already invested in Apple's ecosystem because we clearly understand the desire to be inside of that ecosystem. The same reason I have a HomePod, and 8+ and Series 3 Watch, AirPods, etc.. it's a choice, same reason people are in the BMW ecosystem, they love the product.

... Maybe you’re an iPhone user that was equivocating about making the jump to a Google Pixel for the superior camera, maybe the Samsung Galaxy S9’s headphone jack

Answer) WTF.. That's like saying I may also leave my phone because there is a cool case that fits the Pixel. There is always a reason to leave something for another. I can leave Steak for Tofu, because of Heath Benefits, If I had a Porsche I could leave it for a Minivan because of the ease of getting in and out.

....... Whatever, you just bought the Apple speaker and now you have to live within the confines of the world that Apple has set up for you.

Answer) Yes, that's true of everything.. I have a Nissan car, and I have to live with the confines it can't fly or float. So what.

.... Apple has shown itself a master of creating synergistic effects between its products.

Answer) Yes, but why treat that as a negative. It's what has made Apple nearly the 1st Trillion dollar company.

... he HomePod is, to borrow a famous Apple line, unapologetically Apple-centric.

Answer) Yes, it's a luxury item for Apple and/or Audio lovers to enjoy.

....Apple separatism is with the HomePod: without even basic Bluetooth streaming,

Answer) Yes, and I have a friend that collected Ferraris... Many that don't have electric windows. Is there a point here?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

A lot of people? Do you have proof for your claim ?
As far as I’m concerned, I’m quite comfortable in Apple’s walled garden, since it’s big and very beautiful...
HomePod is made for Apple users with Apple Music as primary source. It’s not here to please everyone.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Hey, it’s the Verge, you know ? It lately has began an hater website...
That article is ridiculous.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
A lot of people? Do you have proof for your claim ?
As far as I’m concerned, I’m quite comfortable in Apple’s walled garden, since it’s big and very beautiful...
HomePod is made for Apple users with Apple Music as primary source. It’s not here to please everyone.

Did you miss the wording “may make alot of people”? Clearly you did.

Im well aware of your apple allegiance and inability to accept anything but apple and I have zero interest in broadening your horizons.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I do agree with you, the title of that article was a bit absurd. I could think of many more appropriate titles he could have used.

“Homepod: Great sound for Apple diehards” as an example. I dont really see the Homepod as a hostile device. That sounds kind of Terminator-ish.

But that title would attract less clicks...

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Did you miss the wording “may make alot of people”? Clearly you did.

Im well aware of your apple allegiance and inability to accept anything but apple and I have zero interest in broadening your horizons.
I don’t need to be enlightened.
I could afford to change ecosystem, but I won’t. Because of my choices.
I’m so tired of people speaking about Apple users like sheeps trapped in a garden. Apple customers are happy customers, not idiots.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I don’t need to be enlightened.
I could afford to change ecosystem, but I won’t. Because of my choices.
I’m so tired of people speaking about Apple users like sheeps trapped in a garden. Apple customers are happy customers, not idiots.

Who said they were idiots? Dont be so defensive.

I wouldnt say they are all happy customers. Ive seen quite a few in the Apple store that definitely do not seem happy.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
How is it ridiculous? The title yes, the article? Its pretty factual actually and theyve pointed out the good and bad of the speaker.
The whole article is beyond ridiculous, trying hard to cast a bad light on HomePod DESPITE the quality of the speaker.
An Apple product described as “Apple centric”... what a genius!

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
The whole article is beyond ridiculous, trying hard to cast a bad light on HomePod DESPITE the quality of the speaker.
An Apple product described as “Apple centric”... what a genius!

So its not that the article is wrong, you just dont like the negative aspects of the speaker?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Who said they were idiots? Dont be so defensive.

I wouldnt say they are all happy customers. Ive seen quite a few in the Apple store that definitely do not seem happy.

Sure... very credible coming from you.
I’m sure people love to buy things they don’t like... that’s why Apple is verging bankruptcy

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711