One author described the HomePod as “Openly Hostile”.....WTH!

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Sure... very credible coming from you.
I’m sure people love to buy things they don’t like... that’s why Apple is verging bankruptcy

Who said they were verging bankruptcy? Lots of putting words in my mouth dont you think?

Do you not believe there are unhappy apple customers? You think they are all happy? Thats pretty naive.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
How is it biased if the contents are true and point out both good and bad?

I think the problem here isnt the article, its that someone dare point out the devices shortcomings.

Bad ? Who decided those points are bad ? You ?
HomePod is working as it was designed to do, and something could even be improved via software, since the hardware is solid and computational power is there.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Who said they were verging bankruptcy? Lots of putting words in my mouth dont you think?

Do you not believe there are unhappy apple customers? You think they are all happy? Thats pretty naive.

Apple isn’t perfect by any means, but customers investing in apple ecosystem are happy to do that, otherwise they’ll just jump ship, and this isn’t happening according to the real numbers.
No one is obliged to stay in Apple ecosystem. No one is a sheep.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Bad ? Who decided those points are bad ? You ?
HomePod is working as it was designed to do, and something could even be improved via software, since the hardware is solid and computational power is there.

Clearly the author of the article. Some people may agree with his assessment of the bad and may not purchase the speaker due to those bad aspects.

You seem very defensive when it comes to Apple. Its ok for others to have different opinions of their products. It doesnt affect your decisions.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Apple isn’t perfect by any means, but customers investing in apple ecosystem are happy to do that, otherwise they’ll just jump ship, and this isn’t happening according to the real numbers.
No one is obliged to stay in Apple ecosystem. No one is a sheep.

Who said they were jumping ship? Who said they were a sheep? Why are you so defensive about an article you dont agree with?

The article was pretty clear that people who may consider leaving Apple may not purchase the speaker. Its that simple, an opinion piece, nothing more. Stay calm, you can still buy everything Apple.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Clearly the author of the article. Some people may agree with his assessment of the bad and may not purchase the speaker due to those bad aspects.

You seem very defensive when it comes to Apple. Its ok for others to have different opinions of their products. It doesnt affect your decisions.

Yes. And some people may find the Note 8 a good product while I think it’s a joke... that wasn’t the point.
The point is The Verge is supposed to be an objective website while it’s continuously bashing Apple on every review.
They are entitled to their opinion and at the same time I’m entitled to think they are ridiculous. It surely doesn’t affect my decisions.

To be clear, I don’t think HomePod is perfect (hardly a first gen Apple product is...), and I know a couple shortcomings about it. But none of them is “it’s an Apple centric product”.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Yes. And some people may find the Note 8 a good product while I think it’s a joke... that wasn’t the point.
The point is The Verge is supposed to be an objective website while it’s continuously bashing Apple on every review.
They are entitled to their opinion and at the same time I’m entitled to think they are ridiculous. It surely doesn’t affect my decisions.

To be clear, I don’t think HomePod is perfect (hardly a first gen Apple product is...), and I know a couple shortcomings about it. But none of them is “it’s an Apple centric product”.

Nobody mentioned the Note 8. What does that have to do with this article?

Again, how is an article with factual data not objective? You want them to be objective but are now very upset that they objectively reviewed the product.

If the device is only able to be used in the Apple ecosystem, wouldnt that in turn classify it as an Apple centric product? Its a fact that it cannot be used with any other device so that statement isnt an opinion, its a fact.

jgibson2400

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
This is the kind of stuff that irks the heck out of me. While viewing some tech news via the native Apple News app, I came across an article in regard to the HomePod. Instead of describing how well or how crappy it sounds, the author chose to “seemingly” attempt to scare people into not buying it.

He stated, “This speaker is openly hostile to any hardware or service not made by Apple”.

Really? Openly hostile? Unbelievable! It’s a friggin’ inanimate object!

Anyway, at the very end of the article, the author states, “Apple’s HomePod is, by all accounts, a superb speaker that sets a new benchmark for sound quality in its size and price class.”

Source: https://apple.news/AwULT3JWPSv2U2_CxVxnHcw

What are thoughts about this topic?

I understand where the article is coming from because there are some odd decisions that don't have an obvious or good answer to.

The device has bluetooth - I can't think of any technical reason why the audio profile is missing preventing it from working with bluetooth audio from other sources like even the AirPods support. Hostile may not have been my word choice but it's hard to come up with a good explanation why it's missing other than the goal of Apple trying to lock users in. Definitely not customer friendly if hostile is too strong.

In comparison to the other smart speakers - one can't get every service on other others but they are open to services that want to be on those speakers. Spotify is allowed by Google to be used directly on the Google Home, Spotify is allowed to be used directly on Echo. Spotify is allowed to be used directly on a Cortana device. Sportify is blocked from making their service usable directly on a HomePod.

I do think it is fair to question whether or not it is customer unfriendly lock-in as the goal or that it's just not ready yet and will be coming.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with you, the title of that article was a bit absurd. I could think of many more appropriate titles he could have used.

“Homepod: Great sound for Apple diehards” as an example. I dont really see the Homepod as a hostile device. That sounds kind of Terminator-ish.

(Laughing)....I know, right?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Do yourself a favor, dont read the CNBC article. It was even more objective. They even have a section titled “The Bad”.

In case you are curious though, heres the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/10/apple-homepod-review.html

Do you mean the review saying:

Finally, it's really expensive. At $350, it's more than three times the price of the Amazon Echo or Google Home.

Well, no. I wont read such a ridiculous review. You know, a Ferrari is ten times the price of a Toyota. What a genius !!!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Seems like hyperbole. I get what he’s saying though. It’s interesting though. To purchase a HomePod is to say, “I’ll never use another device other than Apple for as long as I own this $350 accessory”. It’s a pretty insane limitation on such a pricy device.

It could indeed be hyperbole, but with all of the Anti-Apple sentiment out there, it *could* also be an attempt to dissuade perspective buyers from actually buying the HomePod.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
How is it biased if the contents are true and point out both good and bad?

I think the problem here isnt the article, its that someone dare point out the devices shortcomings.

It's not a problem with pointing out the shortcomings, that is fine, and other articles have done so with grace and lack of clear bias. This article is clearly anti-apple, and its intent is to bash the apple eco-system.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Do you mean the review saying:

Finally, it's really expensive. At $350, it's more than three times the price of the Amazon Echo or Google Home.

Well, no. I wont read such a ridiculous review. You know, a Ferrari is ten times the price of a Toyota. What a genius !!!

Is the consumer reports article ridiculous also? It says “The Apple HomePod Sounds Good, but Other Smart Speakers Sound Better”

https://www.consumerreports.org/smart-speakers/apple-homepod-early-test-results/

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Literally, in my opinion, one of the worst articles on the Verge. Seems to be the Fox News v. Democrats.

...and it pretty much guarantees that you’ll be using the HomePod as the primary listening device in your home.

Answer) Wrong, it's the primary listening device in my office. I still use a speaker bar for my TV. Don't tell us what we will and won't be doing.

...because to even consider a HomePod you must already have at least one foot inside Apple’s ecosystem.

Answer) Yes, we already invested in Apple's ecosystem because we clearly understand the desire to be inside of that ecosystem. The same reason I have a HomePod, and 8+ and Series 3 Watch, AirPods, etc.. it's a choice, same reason people are in the BMW ecosystem, they love the product.

... Maybe you’re an iPhone user that was equivocating about making the jump to a Google Pixel for the superior camera, maybe the Samsung Galaxy S9’s headphone jack

Answer) WTF.. That's like saying I may also leave my phone because there is a cool case that fits the Pixel. There is always a reason to leave something for another. I can leave Steak for Tofu, because of Heath Benefits, If I had a Porsche I could leave it for a Minivan because of the ease of getting in and out.

....... Whatever, you just bought the Apple speaker and now you have to live within the confines of the world that Apple has set up for you.

Answer) Yes, that's true of everything.. I have a Nissan car, and I have to live with the confines it can't fly or float. So what.

.... Apple has shown itself a master of creating synergistic effects between its products.

Answer) Yes, but why treat that as a negative. It's what has made Apple nearly the 1st Trillion dollar company.

... he HomePod is, to borrow a famous Apple line, unapologetically Apple-centric.

Answer) Yes, it's a luxury item for Apple and/or Audio lovers to enjoy.

....Apple separatism is with the HomePod: without even basic Bluetooth streaming,

Answer) Yes, and I have a friend that collected Ferraris... Many that don't have electric windows. Is there a point here?

Outstanding!....

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
It's not a problem with pointing out the shortcomings, that is fine, and other articles have done so with grace and lack of clear bias. This article is clearly anti-apple, and its intent is to bash the apple eco-system.

What makes it anti-apple besides the headline, which we all agree is over the top?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Nobody mentioned the Note 8. What does that have to do with this article?

Again, how is an article with factual data not objective? You want them to be objective but are now very upset that they objectively reviewed the product.

If the device is only able to be used in the Apple ecosystem, wouldnt that in turn classify it as an Apple centric product? Its a fact that it cannot be used with any other device so that statement isnt an opinion, its a fact.
Speaking about opinions...

There is nothing “objective” in what they wrote, since they are casting a bad light on the HomePod being “Apple centric”.
Some of the limitations are by design, some could even be changed in a future upgrade.
It is a SPEAKER, and for the price it probably is the best at that. If you don’t use Apple Music it clearly isn’t for you. If you don’t have an iPhone it clearly isn’t for you.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Speaking about opinions...

There is nothing “objective” in what they wrote, since they are casting a bad light on the HomePod being “Apple centric”.
Some of the limitations are by design, some could even be changed in a future upgrade.
It is a SPEAKER, and for the price it probably is the best at that. If you don’t use Apple Music it clearly isn’t for you. If you don’t have an iPhone it clearly isn’t for you.

Which is EXACTLY what the article stated. So why would you be upset that they agree with you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro