The HomePod is designed to work with Apple Music, from the beginning. That is what Phil Shiller said during the Keynote.
    I think many of us, myself included, expected it to be like other devices where its primary goal was Apple Music but would still have bluetooth for all platforms like the AirPods do. I dont think anyone, a couple months ago, would have ever imagined bluetooth would be disabled. It was disappointing.
    02-11-2018 06:43 PM
    I think we’re arguing semantics here.
    It will most likely be successful.
    It will make most Apple devotees happy.
    Apple will be profitable from it.
    Siri integration will improve.
    The HomePod2 will come out.
    People will continue to find fault.
    The HomePod2 will be successful.......

I enjoy the conversation though!
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-11-2018 06:44 PM
    I saw an article somewhere that Apple is planning "HomePad Mini".
    HomePad Mini?.....
    Hope Apple wouldn't be too carried away with the HomePad thing and obsessed with it, when they should produce/update other "Mini" stuff, lol
    02-11-2018 06:54 PM
    HomePad Mini?.....
    Hope Apple wouldn't be too carried away with the HomePad thing and obsessed with it, when they should produce/update other "Mini" stuff, lol
    So one for your desk?
    Why not? Bring it on.
    02-11-2018 06:55 PM
    I think we’re arguing semantics here.
    It will most likely be successful.
    It will make most Apple devotees happy.
    Apple will be profitable from it.
    Siri integration will improve.
    People will continue to find fault.
    The HomePod2 will be successful.......

I enjoy the conversation though!
    Agreed and I hope so. So much potential. Let's all hope it gets updated on a cadence similar to the Apple Watch and not treated like a hobby like the Apple TV was initially. If they do that people will not continue to find fault. It will be lauded as an excellent product offering just like Apple Watch is looked at today.

Hope you are right about Siri but as I said I'm nervous. Siri was released ~6.5 years ago and I think we can all agree that the level of improvement from 2011 to today has been abysmal compared to how much more other companies voice assistants have improved in a much shorter time frame.
    02-11-2018 06:59 PM
    HomePad Mini?.....
    I would find HomePad soundbar for a television much more compelling.
    02-11-2018 07:00 PM
    Agreed and I hope so. So much potential. Let's all hope it gets updated on a cadence similar to the Apple Watch and not treated like a hobby like the Apple TV was initially. If they do that people will not continue to find fault. It will be lauded as an excellent product offering just like Apple Watch is looked at today.

Hope you are right about Siri but as I said I'm nervous. Siri was released ~6.5 years ago and I think we can all agree that the level of improvement from 2011 to today has been abysmal compared to how much more other companies voice assistants have improved in a much shorter time frame.
    I agree. Siri has pretty much been ignored since it was implemented. From what I have read (I’m no expert) some acquisitions lately point to Siri improvements. All we can do is sit back and hope.
    02-11-2018 07:01 PM
    So one for your desk?
    Why not? Bring it on.
    I was just sarcastic for the fun of it.
    But I actually agree with you. If it's a mini version, I might buy it. I have a big surround sound system, which is one of the reasons I was not interested in this heavy stuff (besides, my daughter is constantly shouting "Alexa!" :-)
    For the casual listening, my portable mini stereo is suffice with the airplay from my iPhone.
    But the current HomePod is very heavy, as with any good speaker system (heavy coils and magnets).
    Very portable desktop, like Echo, might be useful with Siri.
    As long as this is not Apple's way of mea culpa on pricing, lol lol
    02-11-2018 07:03 PM
    I was just sarcastic for the fun of it.
    But I actually agree with you. If it's a mini version, I might buy it. I have a big surround sound system, which is one of the reasons I was not interested in this heavy stuff (besides, my daughter is constantly shouting "Alexa!" :-)
    For the casual listening, my portable mini stereo is suffice with the airplay from my iPhone.
    But the current HomePod is very heavy, as with any good speaker system (heavy coils and magnets).
    Very portable desktop, like Echo, might be useful with Siri.
    As long as this is not Apple's way of mea culpa on pricing, lol lol
    Good point about weight, I heard it is very heavy. A mini version would allow easier portability. I wonder what price would be?
    02-11-2018 07:05 PM
    Good point about weight, I heard it is very heavy. A mini version would allow easier portability. I wonder what price would be?
    The HomePod is a heavy 5.5lbs.

As for the price on a mini, $249.99.
    02-11-2018 07:07 PM
    The HomePod is a heavy 5.5lbs.

As for the price on a mini, $249.99.
    Mmm... I was thinking $199.
    02-11-2018 07:08 PM
    Mmm... I was thinking $199.
    Ok well in a year when it gets announced we will come back to this thread and loser buys a beer lol.

I dont drink so a coffee will do.
    TgeekB, xanadome and Annie_8plus like this.
    02-11-2018 07:11 PM
    I would sooner get the Amazon Echo than Homepod, just because I carry both Android and Apple phones...
    02-12-2018 05:33 AM
    I can’t disagree with the author here. While other manufacturers have learned to play nice with the competition (i.e. my Echo speakers will natively play music from Spotify, Amazon, Pandora, etc.) HomePod is incredibly Apple-centric. This is Apple though. They like tight integration and have always preferred a closed ecosystem. Aside from price, it’s the main reason I won’t be investing in a HomePod for the time being. Furthermore, I already own four Echo devices so I’m not sure introducing a HomePod makes sense for me at this point. Only time will tell.
    02-12-2018 06:11 AM
    While this may be convoluted, this is how I stream a non apple device to the HomePod. On my windows laptop, I am running a program called airserver. It basically allows my laptop to act as an Apple TV. I can then airplay whatever to and from the laptop. I can also play audio off the laptop through the HomePod using airserver as it allows me to connect to it as an audio device. Today I had a friend connect his android phone via bluetooth to my laptop as a target for audio playback to stream from his phone. It then played through the HomePod. While this may not be an ideal setup, it does work.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    02-12-2018 11:21 AM
    While this may be convoluted, this is how I stream a non apple device to the HomePod. On my windows laptop, I am running a program called airserver. It basically allows my laptop to act as an Apple TV. I can then airplay whatever to and from the laptop. I can also play audio off the laptop through the HomePod using airserver as it allows me to connect to it as an audio device. Today I had a friend connect his android phone via bluetooth to my laptop as a target for audio playback to stream from his phone. It then played through the HomePod. While this may not be an ideal setup, it does work.
    Free or paid?
    02-12-2018 11:47 AM
    I have the paid version of airserver since I us it for work.
    02-12-2018 12:49 PM

(Laughing).... Go for it!
    You're a bad influence lol.

I just bought 3 pairs of Airpods. One for me because its Monday, one for my 18 year old because I spoil her and one my wife for valentines day. Somehow ended up getting my wife a new Nike Apple watch also since shes been complaining about the battery life on her Series 0.
    DMP89145, TgeekB, Tartarus and 1 others like this.
    02-12-2018 03:03 PM

I just bought 3 pairs of Airpods. One for me because its Monday, one for my 18 year old because I spoil her and one my wife for valentines day. Somehow ended up getting my wife a new Nike Apple watch also since shes been complaining about the battery life on her Series 0.
    Nice!
    02-12-2018 05:06 PM

Very nice, sir, and congratulations on taking care of your pre-Valentine's Day checklist. May your reward exceed your expectations....
    02-12-2018 07:24 PM
145 ... 456