So you guys arent mad that the article is true, you just didnt like that it wasnt sugarcoated enough? They should have been more sympathetic to the feelings of Apple loyalists?
    You are revealing yourself for what you are post after post...
    I’m done with you.
    I can recognize a troll when I see one...
    02-10-2018 02:13 PM
    Wait now! Tyler said that it *may* make a lot of people second guess getting one, and he’s right. It may very well do that and also it may not.

With being said, I went to a nearby Best Buy store to hear for myself how well the HomePod sounded, but dang, it didn’t have any on display. In addition, what they had in stock were sold within minutes. I may go to one of the nearby Apple Stores, but heck, it’s 85° outside so I’m sure they are packed full of people trying to see what it’s like in person. I’ll probably go in during a weekday this week.
    Im headed to my nearest best buy to do the same, they have both colors in stock. I may just pick one up to play with for a few days.

23 and like a foot of snow here however.
    02-10-2018 02:13 PM
    So you guys arent mad that the article is true, you just didnt like that it wasnt sugarcoated enough? They should have been more sympathetic to the feelings of Apple loyalists?
    No, we're upset because the article was clearly written to be anti-apple. It's not a non-biased review of the product showing value and flaws, it's an apple-bash.
    02-10-2018 02:14 PM
    The content is wrong and you know very well... but it supports your anti-Apple narrative and you are ignoring it.
    You can highlight that the HomePod is dedicated mostly to Apple Music subscribers WITHOUT depicting it as a bad thing. That’s the difference.
    But for some that is a bad thing. Obviously the author is one of those people its bad for.

And no, the content, as youve proven, is very right.
    fairmarketvalue likes this.
    You are revealing yourself for what you are post after post...
    I’m done with you.
    I can recognize a troll when I see one...
    I thought you didnt like labels?
    No, we're upset because the article was clearly written to be anti-apple. It's not a non-biased review of the product showing value and flaws, it's an apple-bash.
    How so if they acknowledge the good of the product? At no point did they bash Apple, they simply stated the shortcomings of the device.
    02-10-2018 02:16 PM
    Wait now! Tyler said that it *may* make a lot of people second guess getting one, and he’s right. It may very well do that and also it may not.

With being said, I went to a nearby Best Buy store to hear for myself how well the HomePod sounded, but dang, it didn’t have any on display. In addition, what they had in stock were sold within minutes. I may go to one of the nearby Apple Stores, but heck, it’s 85° outside so I’m sure they are packed full of people trying to see what it’s like in person. I’ll probably go in during a weekday this week.
    I don’t think an Apple Store is a good place to try one, unless they have set up a dedicated space...
    That is what bothers me the most. I think I’m going to buy one, and give it a try for a week before deciding if I’ll keep it.
    02-10-2018 02:16 PM
    Can the speaker connect to any other device besides Apple? No.

Was that the basis of the article? Yes

Will some find that unappealing? Possibly.

Did the article explain why that may be unappealing? Yes.

Is the headline over the top? Yes.

If you can somehow claim that any of those statements are not true then be my guest. All I see though is some hurt feelings that an opinion did not favor Apples new toy.
    grover5 and fairmarketvalue like this.
    02-10-2018 02:19 PM
    Hey, it’s the Verge, you know ? It lately has began an hater website...
    That article is ridiculous.
    I just think the author intentionally wrote it in such a manner as to discredit it. A good deal of people are headline readers only and many will not read the entire article like I did and therefore, will not have a favorable impression of the HomePod. The thesis, for lack of a better term, was lost in all of the negatives, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 02-10-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    02-10-2018 02:20 PM
    How so if they acknowledge the good of the product? At no point did they bash Apple, they simply stated the shortcomings of the device.
    At no point did you claim to be trolling here to inflame the rest of us, sometimes it's just clear with subtext.
    MaxSmarties likes this.
    02-10-2018 02:23 PM
    I just think the author intentionally wrote it in such a manner as to discredit it. A good deal of people are headline readers only and many will not read the entire article like I would and therefore, would not have a favorable impression of the HomePod. The thesis, for lack of a better term, was lost in all of the negatives, in my opinion.
    Absolutely. And it’s not a first time for The Verge...
    HomePod is far from being perfect (fortunately most of its shortcoming could be fixed by software), but there are ways to speak about a product.
    The author choose to cast a negative light on the product, being very smart in doing that. Sounding like “it sounds very well... it’s useless if you aren’t an Apple fanboy ... but it sounds very well”.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-10-2018 02:24 PM
    At no point did you claim to be trolling here to inflame the rest of us, sometimes it's just clear with subtext.
    May I upvote you a million times ?
    Craig likes this.
    02-10-2018 02:25 PM
    Apple positioned the HomePod at it's unveiling as much better sounding competetior to the Amazon Echo, Google Home and Sonos.

It seems almost universal that the HomePod is getting glowing reviews for sound quality. I don't consider it biased to point out where it falls short vs Google Home, Sonos or Amazon Echo primarily because, again, that is how Apple chose to position it. I would think it somewhat unfair if this was positioned as an Apple Music speaker or as an accessory to Apple iOS devices.

In that context the lock-in question is fair because all of the other devices that Apple considers competetion for the HomePod can support alterantive music services directly and all are well suited to take audio from any source and play it.
    02-10-2018 02:28 PM
    I understand where the article is coming from because there are some odd decisions that don't have an obvious or good answer to.

The device has bluetooth - I can't think of any technical reason why the audio profile is missing preventing it from working with bluetooth audio from other sources like even the AirPods support. Hostile may not have been my word choice but it's hard to come up with a good explanation why it's missing other than the goal of Apple trying to lock users in. Definitely not customer friendly if hostile is too strong.

In comparison to the other smart speakers - one can't get every service on other others but they are open to services that want to be on those speakers. Spotify is allowed by Google to be used directly on the Google Home, Spotify is allowed to be used directly on Echo. Spotify is allowed to be used directly on a Cortana device. Sportify is blocked from making their service usable directly on a HomePod.

I do think it is fair to question whether or not it is customer unfriendly lock-in as the goal or that it's just not ready yet and will be coming.
    Your reply was well-stated, and I appreciate that. With that in mind, and no, I don’t have a HomePod to verify, the article via the below link states otherwise in regard to Spotify.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/hom...otify-airplay/
    MaxSmarties and Lee_Bo like this.
    02-10-2018 02:29 PM
    Let’s not assume that the HomePod will not have any capability growth.
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    02-10-2018 02:35 PM
    Yes, airplay does work. What I'm referring to is support from the others to directly use alternative services... If a provider such as Spotify wants their service accessible it can be - on Echo or Google Home you can "Alexa play..." or "Hey Google play... " with spotify content if you want to use Spotify instead of Google Play Music or Amazon Music. Even though I'm certain Spotify would love "Hey Siri play... " to be possible with the HomePod, Apple does not support that.

I've got my fingers crossed it will eventually come as I'd like to think it's a technical issue they need to overcome and not the goal of lock-in being the reason why it's not here.
    02-10-2018 02:35 PM
    Your reply was well-stated, and I appreciate that. With that in mind, and no, I don’t have a HomePod to verify, the article via the below link states otherwise in regard to Spotify.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/hom...otify-airplay/
    Correct again.
    You can AirPlay whatever you want on an HomePod.
    It wont be nicely integrated like Apple Music, but it will work.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-10-2018 02:36 PM
    That is the hope, but Apple's pace for Siri improvements does not give one condifence that we'll see iterations / improvements as quickly as anyone would like.
    DMP89145 and fairmarketvalue like this.
    02-10-2018 02:36 PM
    It has an A8 inside. I basically can be expanded to support whatever an iphone support.
    The question is: what Apple want it to support ?
    02-10-2018 02:38 PM
    That is the hope, but Apple's pace for Siri improvements does not give one condifence that we'll see iterations / improvements as quickly as anyone would like.
    Again the “Siri is dumb” narrative...
    In my experience, it isn’t. Siri is doing basically every task I need.
    Siri on HomePod isn’t perfect (it can improve phone calls integration and access to the calendar, for instance), but it works.
    And I’m sure HomePod could drive Siri improvements even faster.
    02-10-2018 02:40 PM
    Yes, airplay does work. What I'm referring to is support from the others to directly use alternative services... If a provider such as Spotify wants their service accessible it can be - on Echo or Google Home you can "Alexa play..." or "Hey Google play... " with spotify content if you want to use Spotify instead of Google Play Music or Amazon Music. Even though I'm certain Spotify would love "Hey Siri play... " to be possible with the HomePod, Apple does not support that.

I've got my fingers crossed it will eventually come as I'd like to think it's a technical issue they need to overcome and not the goal of lock-in being the reason why it's not here.
    I understand, and hopefully, Apple will allow it with an update in the near future. We’ll see.
    02-10-2018 02:42 PM
    So because an article pointed out facts about a device you think Im “trolling”? I somehow made the OP create this thread and agreed with them on the title?

You do understand there are only 2 Apple products I dont own right? Airpods and a Homepod.

There was another thread in which it asked what you dont like about Apple. This Apple ego was at the top of my list. Cant imagine why. Some of the users are entirely too sensitive.
    02-10-2018 02:44 PM
    Yeah, but that’s subjective. Personally, I’ve been using Siri for a few years, and I use it quite a bit. I know what it can and cannot do for ‘me’ and I’m okay with that. It pros, in the way I use it, exceeds its cons. Still, I understand that it’s the opposite for other people. It’s the same for the HomePod.
    Lee_Bo and taz323 like this.
    02-10-2018 02:46 PM
    I didn't say it's dumb but let's not pretend it is anywhere near as "capable" as Alexa or Google Home.

SiriKit has barely evolved since it was announced at WWDC in 2016. Google Assistant and Amazon Echo are improving at a much faster pace.
    DMP89145 and fairmarketvalue like this.
    02-10-2018 02:47 PM
    May I upvote you a million times ?
    You could but wouldnt you be the same as the people who call you a sheep, or fanboy? Seems a bit hypocritical dont you think?
    02-10-2018 02:50 PM
145 12345 ...