One author described the HomePod as “Openly Hostile”.....WTH!

jgibson2400

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Speaking about opinions...

There is nothing “objective” in what they wrote, since they are casting a bad light on the HomePod being “Apple centric”.
Some of the limitations are by design, some could even be changed in a future upgrade.
It is a SPEAKER, and for the price it probably is the best at that. If you don’t use Apple Music it clearly isn’t for you. If you don’t have an iPhone it clearly isn’t for you.

To be fair, that is not how Apple positioned it originally. The compared it directly to Google Home, Amazon Echo and Sonos. While some of the reviews may have used language I would have avoided they are generally fair. They give it glowing reviews about audio quality and ding it for the shortcomings compared to other options Apple explicity called out as the HomePod's competetiros.

If they didn't portray it as competetion to the Echo/Home/Sonos and instead portrayed it as the ultimate Apple Music Speaker then those limitations vs Echo/Home/Sonos wouldn't be as relevant.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people? Do you have proof for your claim ?
As far as I’m concerned, I’m quite comfortable in Apple’s walled garden, since it’s big and very beautiful...
HomePod is made for Apple users with Apple Music as primary source. It’s not here to please everyone.

Wait now! Tyler said that it *may* make a lot of people second guess getting one, and he’s right. It may very well do that and also it may not.

With that being said, I went to a nearby Best Buy store to hear for myself how well the HomePod sounded, but dang, it didn’t have any on display. In addition, what the store had in stock was sold within minutes. I may go to one of the nearby Apple Stores, but heck, it’s 85° outside so I’m sure they are packed full of people trying to see what it’s like in person. I’ll probably go in during a weekday this week.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The content is factual. You think those facts are somehow anti-Apple?

There are ways to say "Factual" things without them sounding snide and biased.

Example I am overweight.

A doctor can say "I am concerned about your weight and health"
A woman can say "I don't date fat men"

Both are factual, but the context is relevant.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
There are ways to say "Factual" things without them sounding snide and biased.

Example I am overweight.

A doctor can say "I am concerned about your weight and health"
A woman can say "I don't date fat men"

Both are factual, but the context is relevant.

So you guys arent mad that the article is true, you just didnt like that it wasnt sugarcoated enough? They should have been more sympathetic to the feelings of Apple loyalists?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
So you cant see the headline for the click bait it is and focus on the content? Is the content wrong? You seem to agree its not.
The content is wrong and you know very well... but it supports your anti-Apple narrative and you are ignoring it.
You can highlight that the HomePod is dedicated mostly to Apple Music subscribers WITHOUT depicting it as a bad thing. That’s the difference.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
So you guys arent mad that the article is true, you just didnt like that it wasnt sugarcoated enough? They should have been more sympathetic to the feelings of Apple loyalists?

You are revealing yourself for what you are post after post...
I’m done with you.
I can recognize a troll when I see one...

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Wait now! Tyler said that it *may* make a lot of people second guess getting one, and he’s right. It may very well do that and also it may not.

With being said, I went to a nearby Best Buy store to hear for myself how well the HomePod sounded, but dang, it didn’t have any on display. In addition, what they had in stock were sold within minutes. I may go to one of the nearby Apple Stores, but heck, it’s 85° outside so I’m sure they are packed full of people trying to see what it’s like in person. I’ll probably go in during a weekday this week.

Im headed to my nearest best buy to do the same, they have both colors in stock. I may just pick one up to play with for a few days.

23 and like a foot of snow here however.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

No, we're upset because the article was clearly written to be anti-apple. It's not a non-biased review of the product showing value and flaws, it's an apple-bash.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
The content is wrong and you know very well... but it supports your anti-Apple narrative and you are ignoring it.
You can highlight that the HomePod is dedicated mostly to Apple Music subscribers WITHOUT depicting it as a bad thing. That’s the difference.

But for some that is a bad thing. Obviously the author is one of those people its bad for.

And no, the content, as youve proven, is very right.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
No, we're upset because the article was clearly written to be anti-apple. It's not a non-biased review of the product showing value and flaws, it's an apple-bash.

How so if they acknowledge the good of the product? At no point did they bash Apple, they simply stated the shortcomings of the device.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

With being said, I went to a nearby Best Buy store to hear for myself how well the HomePod sounded, but dang, it didn’t have any on display. In addition, what they had in stock were sold within minutes. I may go to one of the nearby Apple Stores, but heck, it’s 85° outside so I’m sure they are packed full of people trying to see what it’s like in person. I’ll probably go in during a weekday this week.

I don’t think an Apple Store is a good place to try one, unless they have set up a dedicated space...
That is what bothers me the most. I think I’m going to buy one, and give it a try for a week before deciding if I’ll keep it.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Can the speaker connect to any other device besides Apple? No.

Was that the basis of the article? Yes

Will some find that unappealing? Possibly.

Did the article explain why that may be unappealing? Yes.

Is the headline over the top? Yes.

If you can somehow claim that any of those statements are not true then be my guest. All I see though is some hurt feelings that an opinion did not favor Apples new toy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey, it’s the Verge, you know ? It lately has began an hater website...
That article is ridiculous.

I just think the author intentionally wrote it in such a manner as to discredit it. A good deal of people are headline readers only and many will not read the entire article like I did and therefore, will not have a favorable impression of the HomePod. The thesis, for lack of a better term, was lost in all of the negatives, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
How so if they acknowledge the good of the product? At no point did they bash Apple, they simply stated the shortcomings of the device.

At no point did you claim to be trolling here to inflame the rest of us, sometimes it's just clear with subtext.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711