Apple isn’t perfect by any means, but customers investing in apple ecosystem are happy to do that, otherwise they’ll just jump ship, and this isn’t happening according to the real numbers.
    No one is obliged to stay in Apple ecosystem. No one is a sheep.
    Who said they were jumping ship? Who said they were a sheep? Why are you so defensive about an article you dont agree with?

The article was pretty clear that people who may consider leaving Apple may not purchase the speaker. Its that simple, an opinion piece, nothing more. Stay calm, you can still buy everything Apple.
    fairmarketvalue likes this.
    02-10-2018 01:36 PM
    Clearly the author of the article. Some people may agree with his assessment of the bad and may not purchase the speaker due to those bad aspects.

You seem very defensive when it comes to Apple. Its ok for others to have different opinions of their products. It doesnt affect your decisions.
    Yes. And some people may find the Note 8 a good product while I think it’s a joke... that wasn’t the point.
    The point is The Verge is supposed to be an objective website while it’s continuously bashing Apple on every review.
    They are entitled to their opinion and at the same time I’m entitled to think they are ridiculous. It surely doesn’t affect my decisions.

To be clear, I don’t think HomePod is perfect (hardly a first gen Apple product is...), and I know a couple shortcomings about it. But none of them is “it’s an Apple centric product”.
    02-10-2018 01:41 PM
    Yes. And some people may find the Note 8 a good product while I think it’s a joke... that wasn’t the point.
    The point is The Verge is supposed to be an objective website while it’s continuously bashing Apple on every review.
    They are entitled to their opinion and at the same time I’m entitled to think they are ridiculous. It surely doesn’t affect my decisions.

To be clear, I don’t think HomePod is perfect (hardly a first gen Apple product is...), and I know a couple shortcomings about it. But none of them is “it’s an Apple centric product”.
    Nobody mentioned the Note 8. What does that have to do with this article?

Again, how is an article with factual data not objective? You want them to be objective but are now very upset that they objectively reviewed the product.

If the device is only able to be used in the Apple ecosystem, wouldnt that in turn classify it as an Apple centric product? Its a fact that it cannot be used with any other device so that statement isnt an opinion, its a fact.
    02-10-2018 01:46 PM
    This is the kind of stuff that irks the heck out of me. While viewing some tech news via the native Apple News app, I came across an article in regard to the HomePod. Instead of describing how well or how crappy it sounds, the author chose to “seemingly” attempt to scare people into not buying it.

He stated, “This speaker is openly hostile to any hardware or service not made by Apple”.

Really? Openly hostile? Unbelievable! It’s a friggin’ inanimate object!

Anyway, at the very end of the article, the author states, “Apple’s HomePod is, by all accounts, a superb speaker that sets a new benchmark for sound quality in its size and price class.”

Source: https://apple.news/AwULT3JWPSv2U2_CxVxnHcw

What are thoughts about this topic?
    I understand where the article is coming from because there are some odd decisions that don't have an obvious or good answer to.

The device has bluetooth - I can't think of any technical reason why the audio profile is missing preventing it from working with bluetooth audio from other sources like even the AirPods support. Hostile may not have been my word choice but it's hard to come up with a good explanation why it's missing other than the goal of Apple trying to lock users in. Definitely not customer friendly if hostile is too strong.

In comparison to the other smart speakers - one can't get every service on other others but they are open to services that want to be on those speakers. Spotify is allowed by Google to be used directly on the Google Home, Spotify is allowed to be used directly on Echo. Spotify is allowed to be used directly on a Cortana device. Sportify is blocked from making their service usable directly on a HomePod.

I do think it is fair to question whether or not it is customer unfriendly lock-in as the goal or that it's just not ready yet and will be coming.
    02-10-2018 01:47 PM
    Do yourself a favor, dont read the CNBC article. It was even more objective. They even have a section titled “The Bad”.

In case you are curious though, heres the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...od-review.html
    02-10-2018 01:50 PM
    I do agree with you, the title of that article was a bit absurd. I could think of many more appropriate titles he could have used.

“Homepod: Great sound for Apple diehards” as an example. I dont really see the Homepod as a hostile device. That sounds kind of Terminator-ish.
    (Laughing)....I know, right?
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    02-10-2018 01:55 PM
    Do yourself a favor, dont read the CNBC article. It was even more objective. They even have a section titled “The Bad”.

In case you are curious though, heres the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...od-review.html
    Do you mean the review saying:

Finally, it's really expensive. At $350, it's more than three times the price of the Amazon Echo or Google Home.

Well, no. I wont read such a ridiculous review. You know, a Ferrari is ten times the price of a Toyota. What a genius !!!
    02-10-2018 01:58 PM
    Seems like hyperbole. I get what he’s saying though. It’s interesting though. To purchase a HomePod is to say, “I’ll never use another device other than Apple for as long as I own this $350 accessory”. It’s a pretty insane limitation on such a pricy device.
    It could indeed be hyperbole, but with all of the Anti-Apple sentiment out there, it *could* also be an attempt to dissuade perspective buyers from actually buying the HomePod.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 02-10-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    02-10-2018 01:58 PM
    How is it biased if the contents are true and point out both good and bad?

I think the problem here isnt the article, its that someone dare point out the devices shortcomings.

It's not a problem with pointing out the shortcomings, that is fine, and other articles have done so with grace and lack of clear bias. This article is clearly anti-apple, and its intent is to bash the apple eco-system.
    MaxSmarties and Lee_Bo like this.
    02-10-2018 01:59 PM
    Do you mean the review saying:

Finally, it's really expensive. At $350, it's more than three times the price of the Amazon Echo or Google Home.

Well, no. I wont read such a ridiculous review. You know, a Ferrari is ten times the price of a Toyota. What a genius !!!
    Is the consumer reports article ridiculous also? It says “The Apple HomePod Sounds Good, but Other Smart Speakers Sound Better”

https://www.consumerreports.org/smar...-test-results/
    02-10-2018 02:00 PM
    Literally, in my opinion, one of the worst articles on the Verge. Seems to be the Fox News v. Democrats.

...and it pretty much guarantees that you’ll be using the HomePod as the primary listening device in your home.

Answer) Wrong, it's the primary listening device in my office. I still use a speaker bar for my TV. Don't tell us what we will and won't be doing.

...because to even consider a HomePod you must already have at least one foot inside Apple’s ecosystem.

Answer) Yes, we already invested in Apple's ecosystem because we clearly understand the desire to be inside of that ecosystem. The same reason I have a HomePod, and 8+ and Series 3 Watch, AirPods, etc.. it's a choice, same reason people are in the BMW ecosystem, they love the product.

... Maybe you’re an iPhone user that was equivocating about making the jump to a Google Pixel for the superior camera, maybe the Samsung Galaxy S9’s headphone jack

Answer) WTF.. That's like saying I may also leave my phone because there is a cool case that fits the Pixel. There is always a reason to leave something for another. I can leave Steak for Tofu, because of Heath Benefits, If I had a Porsche I could leave it for a Minivan because of the ease of getting in and out.

....... Whatever, you just bought the Apple speaker and now you have to live within the confines of the world that Apple has set up for you.

Answer) Yes, that's true of everything.. I have a Nissan car, and I have to live with the confines it can't fly or float. So what.

.... Apple has shown itself a master of creating synergistic effects between its products.

Answer) Yes, but why treat that as a negative. It's what has made Apple nearly the 1st Trillion dollar company.

... he HomePod is, to borrow a famous Apple line, unapologetically Apple-centric.

Answer) Yes, it's a luxury item for Apple and/or Audio lovers to enjoy.

....Apple separatism is with the HomePod: without even basic Bluetooth streaming,

Answer) Yes, and I have a friend that collected Ferraris... Many that don't have electric windows. Is there a point here?
    Outstanding!....
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    02-10-2018 02:00 PM
    It's not a problem with pointing out the shortcomings, that is fine, and other articles have done so with grace and lack of clear bias. This article is clearly anti-apple, and its intent is to bash the apple eco-system.
    What makes it anti-apple besides the headline, which we all agree is over the top?
    02-10-2018 02:01 PM
    Nobody mentioned the Note 8. What does that have to do with this article?

Again, how is an article with factual data not objective? You want them to be objective but are now very upset that they objectively reviewed the product.

If the device is only able to be used in the Apple ecosystem, wouldnt that in turn classify it as an Apple centric product? Its a fact that it cannot be used with any other device so that statement isnt an opinion, its a fact.
    Speaking about opinions...

There is nothing “objective” in what they wrote, since they are casting a bad light on the HomePod being “Apple centric”.
    Some of the limitations are by design, some could even be changed in a future upgrade.
    It is a SPEAKER, and for the price it probably is the best at that. If you don’t use Apple Music it clearly isn’t for you. If you don’t have an iPhone it clearly isn’t for you.
    02-10-2018 02:02 PM

There is nothing “objective” in what they wrote, since they are casting a bad light on the HomePod being “Apple centric”.
    Some of the limitations are by design, some could even be changed in a future upgrade.
    It is a SPEAKER, and for the price it probably is the best at that. If you don’t use Apple Music it clearly isn’t for you. If you don’t have an iPhone it clearly isn’t for you.
    Which is EXACTLY what the article stated. So why would you be upset that they agree with you?
    02-10-2018 02:03 PM
    Is the consumer reports article ridiculous also? It says “The Apple HomePod Sounds Good, but Other Smart Speakers Sound Better”

https://www.consumerreports.org/smar...-test-results/
    The Verge... Consumer Reports... ok, you missed Gizmodo and you have most of the collection of Apple haters websites...
    02-10-2018 02:05 PM
    What makes it anti-apple besides the headline, which we all agree is over the top?
    The same content as "Trump being anti-white" aside from his tweets. It's all on the content and context.
    MaxSmarties and Lee_Bo like this.
    02-10-2018 02:05 PM
    Besides the headline... you are being disingenuous
    The headline is what set the “pace” for the article.
    02-10-2018 02:06 PM
    The Verge... Consumer Reports... ok, you missed Gizmodo and you have most of the collection of Apple haters websites...
    You see the trend here right? Any article that is not completely on board with your views is ridiculous.
    02-10-2018 02:06 PM
    The same content as "Trump being anti-white" aside from his tweets. It's all on the content and context.
    The content is factual. You think those facts are somehow anti-Apple?
    02-10-2018 02:07 PM

To be fair, that is not how Apple positioned it originally. The compared it directly to Google Home, Amazon Echo and Sonos. While some of the reviews may have used language I would have avoided they are generally fair. They give it glowing reviews about audio quality and ding it for the shortcomings compared to other options Apple explicity called out as the HomePod's competetiros.

If they didn't portray it as competetion to the Echo/Home/Sonos and instead portrayed it as the ultimate Apple Music Speaker then those limitations vs Echo/Home/Sonos wouldn't be as relevant.
    02-10-2018 02:08 PM
    Besides the headline... you are being disingenuous
    The headline is what set the “pace” for the article.
    So you cant see the headline for the click bait it is and focus on the content? Is the content wrong? You seem to agree its not.
    02-10-2018 02:08 PM
    A lot of people? Do you have proof for your claim ?
    As far as I’m concerned, I’m quite comfortable in Apple’s walled garden, since it’s big and very beautiful...
    HomePod is made for Apple users with Apple Music as primary source. It’s not here to please everyone.
    Wait now! Tyler said that it *may* make a lot of people second guess getting one, and he’s right. It may very well do that and also it may not.

With that being said, I went to a nearby Best Buy store to hear for myself how well the HomePod sounded, but dang, it didn’t have any on display. In addition, what the store had in stock was sold within minutes. I may go to one of the nearby Apple Stores, but heck, it’s 85° outside so I’m sure they are packed full of people trying to see what it’s like in person. I’ll probably go in during a weekday this week.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 02-10-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Lee_Bo and nikkisharif like this.
    02-10-2018 02:09 PM
    The content is factual. You think those facts are somehow anti-Apple?
    There are ways to say "Factual" things without them sounding snide and biased.

Example I am overweight.

A doctor can say "I am concerned about your weight and health"
    A woman can say "I don't date fat men"

Both are factual, but the context is relevant.
    MaxSmarties and nikkisharif like this.
    02-10-2018 02:09 PM
    There are ways to say "Factual" things without them sounding snide and biased.

Example I am overweight.

A doctor can say "I am concerned about your weight and health"
    A woman can say "I don't date fat men"

Both are factual, but the context is relevant.
    So you guys arent mad that the article is true, you just didnt like that it wasnt sugarcoated enough? They should have been more sympathetic to the feelings of Apple loyalists?
    02-10-2018 02:12 PM
    So you cant see the headline for the click bait it is and focus on the content? Is the content wrong? You seem to agree its not.
    The content is wrong and you know very well... but it supports your anti-Apple narrative and you are ignoring it.
    You can highlight that the HomePod is dedicated mostly to Apple Music subscribers WITHOUT depicting it as a bad thing. That’s the difference.
    02-10-2018 02:12 PM
145 1234 ...