Official 'I Ordered a HomePod' Thread!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For all of those that have stepped up to order a HomePod (or two or three or four), tell us about it here! Which color did you get, and where are you going to set them up in your home?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I preordered from Best Buy just about 20 minutes ago. Used $20 in rewards and had a $20 gift card. I got space gray. I have no idea where I’ll set this up. I’ll figure that out Friday. It also helps that I get a 45 day return period since I’m an elite plus member so I can take my time to learn if this is for me or not.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m sure it sounds great (from what I’ve heard and read it actually sounds amazing) but spending $349 for a speaker when I already have a plethora of Echos just isn’t something I’m willing to do. Not to mention it’s pretty worthless unless you’re an Apple Music subscriber, which I’m no longer.

Apple was too late to the game, charges too much, and refuses to integrate third party music services. No thanks!

If you hadn’t already had bought 342 iPhone X cases, you could have easily gotten one. :p

LOL!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
As usual, I'm waiting until after the launch to see how they perform and read all the posts here before deciding if I'm going to buy one.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I’m sure it sounds great (from what I’ve heard and read it actually sounds amazing) but spending $349 for a speaker when I already have a plethora of Echos just isn’t something I’m willing to do. Not to mention it’s pretty worthless unless you’re an Apple Music subscriber, which I’m no longer.

Apple was too late to the game, charges too much, and refuses to integrate third party music services. No thanks!

LOL!

Considering the quality level of the Echos, who cares if they are late ?
A speaker is for listening music, and the HomePod is way better at this.
Not to mention last thing I’d like is to put Amazon and Google in my home

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Considering the quality level of the Echos, who cares if they are late ?
A speaker is for listening music, and the HomePod is way better at this.
Not to mention last thing I’d like is to put Amazon and Google in my home

- Echo devices are a fraction of the price and the majority of users aren’t that picky with audio. As long as whatever smart speakers they’re using are “good enough” they’re much less likely to invest in something more expensive. While I appreciate the superior audio quality of the HomePod, my Echo speakers sound pretty good for the price and I’m not exactly going to race to the Apple Store to replace them. If Apple had come along earlier I may have gone in that direction before purchasing multiple Echo devices.
- A speaker isn’t just for listening to music.
- You don’t like Amazon (or Google) but that doesn’t negate the millions of people that do.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
- Echo devices are a fraction of the price and the majority of users aren’t that picky with audio. As long as whatever smart speakers they’re using are “good enough” they’re much less likely to invest in something more expensive. While I appreciate the superior audio quality of the HomePod, my Echo speakers sound pretty good for the price and I’m not exactly going to race to the Apple Store to replace them. If Apple had come along earlier I may have gone in that direction before purchasing multiple Echo devices.
- A speaker isn’t just for listening to music.
- You don’t like Amazon (or Google) but that doesn’t negate the millions of people that do.
Don’t get me wrong: you are free to choose whatever please you. I’m not claiming to be an audiophile by any means, but even to me Echo and Google Home are quite bad speakers, quality wise
Cheaper ? For sure , but it’s not like the HomePod is $1000 ... it still is in the “affordable” range.
Assistant wise Alexa and Google are much better than Siri, but my question is: at what cost ? Google and Amazon profiling you for commercial reasons basically all the time. Last thing I want is a Google microphone sticking around my home all the time, believe me...
Your tastes may be different.
I still think Siri is more than adequate to PLAY MY MUSIC and doing basic stuff like switching on light and so on. And I believe Siri will improve over the time THANKS to HomePod (things like accessing my calendar are to be implemented ASAP !).
In one thing you are perfectly right: if you are not an Apple Music subscriber, well, the HomePod isn’t the right device for you (but i think it will open to other services in the future...).

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Don’t get me wrong: you are free to choose whatever please you. I’m not claiming to be an audiophile by any means, but even to me Echo and Google Home are quite bad speakers, quality wise
Cheaper ? For sure , but it’s not like the HomePod is $1000 ... it still is in the “affordable” range.
Assistant wise Alexa and Google are much better than Siri, but my question is: at what cost ? Google and Amazon profiling you for commercial reasons basically all the time. Last thing I want is a Google microphone sticking around my home all the time, believe me...
Your tastes may be different.
I still think Siri is more than adequate to PLAY MY MUSIC and doing basic stuff like switching on light and so on. And I believe Siri will improve over the time THANKS to HomePod (things like accessing my calendar are to be implemented ASAP !).
In one thing you are perfectly right: if you are not an Apple Music subscriber, well, the HomePod isn’t the right device for you (but i think it will open to other services in the future...).

True to all of those things. Again, I don’t have a problem with HomePod. It’s a phenomenal little speaker, aside from it being Apple Music-centric. I just think they were late to the game because lots of users have already invested in something else. It’s hard to replace four Echo devices spread over multiple rooms with one HomePod. I hope HomePod is a smash hit and they do what Amazon did and start releasing different models at cheaper price points, much like Amazon did with the Dot. It’s a good option if you’re looking for digital assistant functionality but don’t necessarily need solid audio in that location.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
True to all of those things. Again, I don’t have a problem with HomePod. It’s a phenomenal little speaker, aside from it being Apple Music-centric. I just think they were late to the game because lots of users have already invested in something else. It’s hard to replace four Echo devices spread over multiple rooms with one HomePod. I hope HomePod is a smash hit and they do what Amazon did and start releasing different models at cheaper price points, much like Amazon did with the Dot. It’s a good option if you’re looking for digital assistant functionality but don’t necessarily need solid audio in that location.

Fair enough.

Turning back to the thread, what about the color ?
Who choose the white and who choose the black ?
I’m thinking about a black HomePod because I’m worried about the dust...

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Here’s mine: white in lounge
dc641fd82c21972adf53ed236c02df0d.jpg

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
White HomePod just set up & listening to Tool’s Lateralus album on it, the first track being the song ‘The Grudge.’ Wow, this thing is SICK!!
It’s doing a really nice job of filling my approximately 22’x15’ living room... I can only imagine what a second one in the same space would do for stereo sound (once that is enabled in iOS 11.3 with AirPlay 2). I’m not currently an Apple Music subscriber, but may consider being one in the future. For now it’ll be AirPlay to it from my devices, sounding great so far...
I can see this being like the AirPods where people’s personal experience with it & word of mouth overcome the initial doubts regarding it. As for the Siri aspects to it, that was never really one of my check boxes/use cases for getting it, so for me the acumen of Siri as an intelligent assistant on it (or not as the case may be, YMMV) are secondary.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Got the Space Gray, my phone is black/grey, my Apple Watch is black/grey, so..

If there were any doubt about the purchase price, it's long gone. This is more than just a wireless speaker, it's a sound experience. Some of my music at 50% volume brought tears to my eyes. Hearing more than songs, but my memories. Part of a song I never heard before, little sounds coming out, hidden from other speakers. Bass that can rattle my desk.

One can clearly see the time and effort that went into crafting this amazing device that weights 4x what you think it would. It's a clear quality difference between this and my Amazon / Google speakers.

If you love sound, love music and more... and can afford adding this to your collection, I highly recommend it. I am already considering heading back to BestBuy tomorrow and getting a 2nd one..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/1-craigs-homepod-2-9-2018/pl.u-NpXm4Jktvom4am?at=10l3Vy

cls-hp-2-9-2018.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2