Greetings iMore nation!

I have returned from the sunny west with a shiny HomePod and spent the last week testing it out. I've posted the highlights, include 5,600 words, an unboxing, a 20 minute video analysis, and 40 minute podcast all right here:

http://www.imore.com/homepod

If you have any questions, drop them below. I'm at your service.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-06-2018 11:22 AM
    Anything that surprises you (good or bad) that you weren’t expecting? And yeah, once I’m done with lunch I will watch your video
    02-06-2018 11:25 AM
    From what I've read, it would appear as though the HomePod is less "smart" and more "speaker". Would you agree with that? And if that is the case, when considering the competition and other speakers out there, would you spend $350 on a HomePod? I'm trying to determine what I may gain from this that I don't already get out of my HK bluetooth speaker.
    02-06-2018 11:42 AM
    I'm curious about the sound. Does it truly engulfs the room or does it merely sound like a small, loud speaker?
    02-06-2018 11:51 AM
    Also, airplay out from AppleTV.....can any ATV do that or only the most recent and 4K?

Also curious if you purposely tried to ask Siri to play confusing items like songs that the id3 tags are not so simple, etc

Ok last question....I swear....what were your reasons for white?

Sorry one more....your double tap and triple tap function are wrong in the main article.
    02-06-2018 11:51 AM
    Anything that surprises you (good or bad) that you weren’t expecting? And yeah, once I’m done with lunch I will watch your video
    Apple TV audio over AirPlay works way better than I expected. Still not as good as a dedicated soundbar mode, but good enough I've been using it that way for days.
    jlb21 likes this.
    02-06-2018 11:55 AM
    Apple TV audio over AirPlay works way better than I expected. Still not as good as a dedicated soundbar mode, but good enough I've been using it that way for days.
    This is great to know. My home theater is currently deconstructing as we await moving to a new house. This will be great in the interim!
    02-06-2018 11:57 AM
    From what I've read, it would appear as though the HomePod is less "smart" and more "speaker". Would you agree with that? And if that is the case, when considering the competition and other speakers out there, would you spend $350 on a HomePod? I'm trying to determine what I may gain from this that I don't already get out of my HK bluetooth speaker.
    It's Siri smart, which will mean different things to different people depending on their experience with Siri.

It's definitely a way better speaker than any other smart speaker on the market. It's not as cheap as data or retail subsidized speakers from Google or Amazon, but it's also not as expensive as traditional speakers that sound this good. And, as far as I know, Apple is now the most advanced computational speaker on the market.

With audio, you can literally spend as much money as you have — millions of dollars — so just pick a budget and then get what best fits your tastes in that budget.
    02-06-2018 11:57 AM
    Also, airplay out from AppleTV.....can any ATV do that or only the most recent and 4K?

Also curious if you purposely tried to ask Siri to play confusing items like songs that the id3 tags are not so simple, etc

Ok last question....I swear....what were your reasons for white?

Sorry one more....your double tap and triple tap function are wrong in the main article.
    Anything that has AirPlay out can beam to HomePod. I don't recall if ATV2 or ATV3 had that or not. I'll have to break one out.

What's an example of a confusing id3 tag? Give me a song and I'll try it!

White was what Apple chose for my review unit.

And thanks, I'll check and fix!
    02-06-2018 11:59 AM
    I'm curious about the sound. Does it truly engulfs the room or does it merely sound like a small, loud speaker?
    It fills a good sized room and I haven't been able to find any dead spots yet, which is super cool
    02-06-2018 12:00 PM
    It fills a good sized room and I haven't been able to find any dead spots yet, which is super cool
    Now that's music to my ears. Thank you....
    02-06-2018 01:18 PM
    If I sync the HomePod with my iPhone, will my wife be able to play music from her iPhone using Apple Music when I’m not around? Or my kids for that matter. It sounds like you can’t sync more than one iPhone. Is that the case?
    02-07-2018 06:23 AM
    With an iPhone, you can set a timer to turn the music off. Can you do that with the HomePod?

Edited to add that I was able to check it out and it doesn't work with the timer like that. I was planning on using the HomePod and Apple Music as I fell asleep, but I am going to have to AirPlay from my iPhone instead. Sigh... Hopefully, they'll add that as a feature later.
    Last edited by 2BTs4Me; 02-09-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    02-08-2018 10:16 PM
    According to one news review I have read, Siri can be accessed by multiple users, not just the account holder.
    And they claim those users can access the account holder's iPhone data as a result of this.

Can anyone with a HomePod give this a try?
    02-09-2018 05:01 PM
    According to one news review I have read, Siri can be accessed by multiple users, not just the account holder.
    And they claim those users can access the account holder's iPhone data as a result of this.

Can anyone with a HomePod give this a try?
    You have a choice to turn that option ON or OFF when setting up the HomePod.
    02-09-2018 08:08 PM
    If I sync the HomePod with my iPhone, will my wife be able to play music from her iPhone using Apple Music when I’m not around? Or my kids for that matter. It sounds like you can’t sync more than one iPhone. Is that the case?
    No, not unless you have Apple music / Family plan with Family Sharing turned on.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    02-09-2018 08:10 PM
    You have a choice to turn that option ON or OFF when setting up the HomePod.
    So the owner has to physically let others use Siri, but it's not the default option?
    02-09-2018 08:40 PM
    So the owner has to physically let others use Siri, but it's not the default option?
    There is NO default option, you decide when you set it up. It asks you if you want to turn Siri on to access your messages etc.. but everyone will have access. You can say Yes or No at that point. Change it later if you want. As mentioned, no default, it's a setup choice.
    02-09-2018 08:44 PM
    There is NO default option, you decide when you set it up. It asks you if you want to turn Siri on to access your messages etc.. but everyone will have access. You can say Yes or No at that point. Change it later if you want. As mentioned, no default, it's a setup choice.
    Ok, so everyone has access to Siri, or no one does.
    I guess that means everyone also has access to the owners calendars, and anything else Siri can control. That seems a strange security choice.

Thanks for clarifying.
    02-09-2018 09:01 PM
    Ok, so everyone has access to Siri, or no one does.
    I guess that means everyone also has access to the owners calendars, and anything else Siri can control. That seems a strange security choice.

Thanks for clarifying.
    No, but you're getting closer. If you turn the feature off, everyone will have access to a reduced version of Siri. They will be able to say Siri raise volume by 10% or Siri play Enter the Sandman by Metallica, but they will NOT be able to add stuff to your calendar or read your messages or use it to call your SO.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    02-09-2018 09:05 PM
    No, but you're getting closer. If you turn the feature off, everyone will have access to a reduced version of Siri. They will be able to say Siri raise volume by 10% or Siri play Enter the Sandman by Metallica, but they will NOT be able to add stuff to your calendar or read your messages or use it to call your SO.
    Ah, thanks. So if you have friends over, you can turn it off, and it will still sort of work.
    I guess that's one way to share Siri, but not allow access to personal stuff.
    02-09-2018 09:13 PM
    No, not unless you have Apple music / Family plan with Family Sharing turned on.
    We do have a family plan with family sharing turned on so I guess we are good. I just wouldn’t turn on messaging or they would be able to read my messages.
    02-10-2018 07:00 AM
    We do have a family plan with family sharing turned on so I guess we are good. I just wouldn’t turn on messaging or they would be able to read my messages.
    100% correct, but it's easy to turn Siri on/off if you have company over. Since my Homepod is in my office, and my wife and I live alone.. I doubt if we have guests, they will sneak into my office to check my messages.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    02-10-2018 11:03 AM
    100% correct, but it's easy to turn Siri on/off if you have company over. Since my Homepod is in my office, and my wife and I live alone.. I doubt if we have guests, they will sneak into my office to check my messages.
    Thank you. I appreciate your help.
    02-10-2018 11:40 AM
    Rene,
    First, great review. I like the perspective you choose for your reviews.

A question: what are your thoughts on using multiple smart digital assistants?
    I now have both the HomePod and the Google Home mini. The former for music and as a sound bar/controller for the AppleTV, and the latter for most other smart digital assistance. After all, most of us rely on multiple people for advice and assistance. Why only rely on one digital “friend”?
    02-12-2018 12:02 AM