This thing is way overhyped

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but at the same time that’s what Apple seems to be good at. They may not innovate at every turn but they design products that work well.
I don’t think they’re expecting these to sell like hot cakes and become the next best thing. Probably just a niche while they integrate Siri more into them, whether it’s to run iTunes or search the internet for gummy bears. I’m intrigued by the sound technology and how they adapt to the room they’re in and the placement in that room. That’s the current innovation. Whether they’re worth $399 is up to each individual.

$349.95

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
So I guess no one will ever buy it.. it's a miserable failure just like every other Apple product ever. The only sale they will have is the one I purchased.. what a failure for Apple. I will enjoy mine on the 9th, and so goes life. Maybe someone from Apple will call me being their only customer. (sarcasm).

I have never heard a forum dedicated to people who basically love Apple / iOS be so negative. Very sad. I personally have been looking forward to this product. I agree it's a bit $, but I think they really put quality into the hardware and sound.
Well stated. Once again, Apple is doomed

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
No you are missing the point. The point is that Siri is mostly underwhelming and isn’t going to be vastly improved with the launch of the HomePod. It’s also not launching with a full feature set. The audio may be great, but I don’t know that that justifies the price.

And privacy doesn’t have anything to do with it. It’s not privacy that keeps Siri from being more useful. Privacy isn’t keeping Siri from being able to answer questions without just giving a we link. It’s lack of development for it because Apple thinks it’s great in its current form, as evidence by them launching it on Macs with zero improvement over the phone Siri.
Do you really think google developers are better than Apple ? Do you REALLY think that ? Do you think Google has more resources than Apple ?
It’s all about privacy. Google Assistant isn’t smarter than Siri. It just has access to a lot more data. OUR data, collected by Google. Apple approach is different.
Siri will improve, over the time, but not so much.
And I’m perfectly happy about that, as long as that means my privacy is protected.
Do you like to be a google product? Be my guest... everyone is free to choose.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I guess. I’m not everyone and never said that. But this is a market that Apple doesn’t own and where there is intense competition that no one was really asking for. And since you brought it up, the 8 and 8+ have sold poorly compared to other iPhone models. AirPod sales are small, unless you have data to show otherwise. And the Apple Watch sales I guess are good, but Apple doesn’t release sales numbers for it so no one knows how well it’s sold.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus literally ridiculed the “successful “ Galaxy S8 sales... AirPods are, by far, the best selling wireless earbuds... Apple Watch is the only credible smart watch on the market... a very poor attempt to downplay Apple on your part.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think google developers are better than Apple ? Do you REALLY think that ? Do you think Google has more resources than Apple ?
It’s all about privacy. Google Assistant isn’t smarter than Siri. It just has access to a lot more data. OUR data, collected by Google. Apple approach is different.
And I’m perfectly happy about that, as long as that means my privacy is protected.

Lol do you think Apple Maps is better than Google Maps? Apple does a ton of things right, but on the software side of things they have been slipping lately as evidence by the massive amount of bugs that iOS and Sierra have had.

Again, you can use privacy all you want, but to me that makes absolutely zero sense. Privacy comes into play when you are discussing the device listening to you at all times, which of course I am against. But for basic functionality Siri needs to improve to make it actually useful.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 8 and 8 Plus literally ridiculed the “successful “ Galaxy S8 sales... AirPods are, by far, the best selling wireless earbuds... Apple Watch is the only credible smart watch on the market... a very poor attempt to downplay Apple on your part.

Lol in no way was I downplaying Apple. Who was comparing the iPhone to the Galaxy S8? Oh you just made that comparison up. I said it sold comparatively lower than other iPhone models, which it has, because of the X. But don't try and throw the iPhone 8 out as some success for Apple, because for Apple level sales it hasn't been.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the X had a little to do with the 8 series sales.

Of course it did, but I'm not gonna listen to some nonsense where someone tries to throw out the 8 and 8 Plus as some type of examples of sales success. And I'm not talking against other manufacturers, I'm talking against Apple, which is who Apple sells against. A success for them is a phone that outsells the previous model. And the 8 and 8 Plus did not. Does that make them bad phones? Of course not, but they are far from sales successes.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Lol do you think Apple Maps is better than Google Maps? Apple does a ton of things right, but on the software side of things they have been slipping lately as evidence by the massive amount of bugs that iOS and Sierra have had.

Again, you can use privacy all you want, but to me that makes absolutely zero sense. Privacy comes into play when you are discussing the device listening to you at all times, which of course I am against. But for basic functionality Siri needs to improve to make it actually useful.
Apple maps are similar to google maps, and privacy is involved even there. Google have been fined several times about Maps and street view privacy violations.
iOS has bug. Same thing for Android, where you just have less whining because very few people are using the latest version.
iOS is far better than Android.

Siri needs to improve in many aspects. But I’ll give Apple time and credit.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple maps are similar to google maps, and privacy is involved even there. Google have been fined several times about Maps and street view privacy violations.
iOS has bug. Same thing for Android, where you just have less whining because very few people are using the latest version.
iOS is far better than Android.

Siri needs to improve in many aspects. But I’ll give Apple time and credit.

Lol its similar to Google maps but its in no way better. Google Maps is far superior to Apple maps. And is this how you talk to every single person who may be skeptical of one of Apple's products? "Oh, you don't want to buy it? Go use Android then!!" Jeez man get a grip. I use all of Apple's products but I don't think this one will be a winner for them. I'm sorry you disagree with my opinion but you shouldn't start shouting for people to use another OS just because they disagree with you.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Lol in no way was I downplaying Apple. Who was comparing the iPhone to the Galaxy S8? Oh you just made that comparison up. I said it sold comparatively lower than other iPhone models, which it has, because of the X. But don't try and throw the iPhone 8 out as some success for Apple, because for Apple level sales it hasn't been.
When Apple decided to launch THREE new iPhone instead of two, they knew perfectly well that no one of them was going to set a new sales record.
By the way the outsold every other product.
I think a lot of companies would like to have such a commercial flop, once a year

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
When Apple decided to launch THREE new iPhone instead of two, they knew perfectly well that no one of them was going to set a new sales record.
By the way the outsold every other product.
I think a lot of companies would like to have such a commercial flop, once a year

Uh I'm sorry but that's wrong. Apple doesn't launch iPhones hoping that they sell decently and not break records. It cute that you think they think that though.

"Guys we are launching 3 phones this year. 2 of them are similar to last year and 1 of them is an all new model. No big deal though. Since we are launching 3 of them we aren't worried if we sell less of them."

The whole goal of selling three different models was to capture more of the market, not less. But we are just talking in circles here so I'm done with you. Thanks for the laughs though.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think it’s a lot more complicated than the arguments being made here. I certainly am not an expert, but the market is ever changing and it’s difficult to predict what will occur a year from now. I’m invested in Apple (as are others on this thread) and we want them to keep leading the market in the areas we find most interesting. I think we’re on the same team.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I just have to ask .. Do you think Apple isn't using the same stuff for Siri that Google is using for assistant? Such as YOUR ("OUR") data? They are. They have to. That is how an assistant gets better ... by learning about "OUR" data. ;).

Just so someone doens't think I am pulling it out of my hat.

Siri and Dictation. The Siri and Dictation features of the iOS Software may not be available in
all languages or regions and features may vary by region. If your iOS Device supports Siri and
Dictation, these features may allow you to make requests, give commands and dictate text to
your device using your voice. When you use Siri or Dictation, the things you say will be recorded
and sent to Apple in order to convert what you say into text and to process your requests. Your
device will also send Apple other information, such as your first name and nickname; the names,
nicknames, and relationship with you (e.g., “my dad”) of your address book contacts; and song
names in your collection (collectively, your “User Data”). All of this data is used to help Siri and
Dictation understand you better and recognize what you say. It is not linked to other data that
Apple may have from your use of other Apple services. By using Siri or Dictation, you agree
and consent to Apple’s and its subsidiaries’ and agents’ transmission, collection,
maintenance, processing, and use of this information, including your voice input and User
Data, to provide and improve Siri, Dictation, and dictation functionality in other Apple
products and services.

Source: https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/ios6.pdf#mn_p

Not trying to start a "Google is better!" "No Apple is!" but let's not pretend Apple isn't trying to get user data as well. ALL companies are. Assistant is only ahead (IMO) because Google has been doing the voice thing for a long long time with a ton of users (Android, iPhone, Computers, etc.).

I will say Google is definitely more involved a ton but user data helps them learn things. It may not be specifically "John smith did (X)" but I digress. I am okay with it since I want them to improve. I use Siri on my Apple TV to help launch apps with a quickness.

As for the HomePod it has me interested. I am interested in it and the Google Home Max as well since I like smart speakers and would love an amazing sounding one but the only thing holding me back is $$. The other concerns not so much.

Last edited:

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Uh I'm sorry but that's wrong. Apple doesn't launch iPhones hoping that they sell decently and not break records. It cute that you think they think that though.

"Guys we are launching 3 phones this year. 2 of them are similar to last year and 1 of them is an all new model. No big deal though. Since we are launching 3 of them we aren't worried if we sell less of them."

The whole goal of selling three different models was to capture more of the market, not less. But we are just talking in circles here so I'm done with you. Thanks for the laughs though.
You have absolutely no data to backup your assertions about sales... again, your is just a poor attempt to downplay Apple

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I just have to ask .. Do you think Apple isn't using the same stuff for Siri that Google is using for assistant? Such as YOUR ("OUR") data? They are. They have to. That is how an assistant gets better ... by learning about "OUR" data. ;).

Just so someone doens't think I am pulling it out of my hat.

Not trying to start a "Google is better!" "No Apple is!" but let's not pretend Apple isn't trying to get user data as well. ALL companies are. Assistant is only ahead (IMO) because Google has been doing the voice thing for a long long time with a ton of users (Android, iPhone, Computers, etc.).

I will say Google is definitely more involved a ton but user data helps them learn things. It may not be specifically "John smith did (X)" but I digress. I am okay with it since I want them to improve. I use Siri on my Apple TV to help launch apps with a quickness.

As for the HomePod it has me interested. I am interested in it and the Google Home Max as well since I like smart speakers and would love an amazing sounding one but the only thing holding me back is $$. The other concerns not so much.
That was my point since the beginning. Apple is using the same data, but they are somewhat restricted by a totally different policy about those data. Thus the difference.
I don’t want to start a debate about Google vs Apple too, mostly because in MY opinion (which is the ONLY opinion that counts when MY money are involved :laughing:), Apple is way ahead.
Returning to the topic, I’m not going to judge the HomePod without trying it, and I know Siri isn’t up to the task yet. But I’m positive HomePod sales could drive the improvement even faster.
And in this particular case, music quality and Apple Music integration are selling points.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think it would have been a good move for Apple to create this to compete against the likes of Amazon's Echo or Google Home

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't think anyone is declaring HomePod a failure. Since iPod, we have yet to see a mainstream product failure from Apple. I'm just thinking this is one of Apple's riskier offerings. They have the cash to cover it, but there is a possibility this thing flops.

Interesting to see how Apple supports this. 10 year old Sonos speakers still get software updates.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the HomePod has been overhyped. I mean, I think it's being marketed on it's strengths and is looking to compete with Sonos. To me, they are marketing to the Apple consumer who has or is considering a Sonos system.

With Sonos making Alexa, and soon GA, available in their products, it makes sense for Apple to say to their core consumer that is into audio, "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you. We have a high quality product that has Siri, the assistant you already use, baked in". For that consumer, this product makes perfect sense.

Apple knows they need to work on Siri, and they have made changes in the corporate structure to address that. I believe you'll see smaller "puck like" speakers coming from them that are more directly targeted to smart home speakers soon. This just isn't that product.

I mean, we're talking about a company that put out the iPod Mini and the Shuffle, for crying out loud. They can do "smaller".

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm just stating my opinion on it. And the fact that it was reported today that Siri has been severely crippled is just another example of why this product is poised to fail. Again, my opinion (and I still love Apple products) but this product is a miss.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner