This thing is way overhyped

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense, my feelings also.
Siri development will advance but for now, at least for me, it’s not the thing that would get me to dish out money for this device.

Oh definitely. I use Siri often and it does what I need it to do, however, I'm not shelling out $350 for the sole purpose of having it on a standalone device. Heck no! With that in mind, I would shell out that kind of money for the audio capabilities, * if * they are as described. When the Home Pod hit the stores, I'll check it out and decide from there.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t have Siri enabled on any device, and of those I know that do admit to not using it much, so can’t see the point really. If this gadget is capable of functioning isolated from my other devices and not broadcasting my everyday doings to all and sundry, I suppose it might have limited uses.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So I guess no one will ever buy it.. it's a miserable failure just like every other Apple product ever. The only sale they will have is the one I purchased.. what a failure for Apple. I will enjoy mine on the 9th, and so goes life. Maybe someone from Apple will call me being their only customer. (sarcasm).

I have never heard a forum dedicated to people who basically love Apple / iOS be so negative. Very sad. I personally have been looking forward to this product. I agree it's a bit $, but I think they really put quality into the hardware and sound.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So I guess no one will ever buy it.. it's a miserable failure just like every other Apple product ever. The only sale they will have is the one I purchased.. what a failure for Apple. I will enjoy mine on the 9th, and so goes life. Maybe someone from Apple will call me being their only customer. (sarcasm).

I have never heard a forum dedicated to people who basically love Apple / iOS be so negative. Very sad. I personally have been looking forward to this product. I agree it's a bit $, but I think they really put quality into the hardware and sound.

Like with some Apple products, their significance, usefulness and awesomeness are only discovered a few months after they’re released.

Take the AirPods for example. In the first months they were very scarce and hard to get. Lately,in a span of a few hours, I have been noticing multiple people wearing them.

I have a feeling the same will happen with the HomePod too, albeit in an even slower rate.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Like with some Apple products, their significance, usefulness and awesomeness are only discovered a few months after they’re released.

Take the AirPods for example. In the first months they were very scarce and hard to get. Lately,in a span of a few hours, I have been noticing multiple people wearing them.

I have a feeling the same will happen with the HomePod too, albeit in an even slower rate.

I too have noticed more and more people sporting AirPods! Of course I work at a University and it seems that many got them for Christmas!

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Dude chill out. Just because Apple lacunas a product doesn't mean all of Apple's fans just have to accept it and love it. You play right into the Apple sheep mentality. People can love their products but question them on decisions they make. That's how they get better, by pushing them, not just accepting whatever they decide to throw at us.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Dude chill out. Just because Apple lacunas a product doesn't mean all of Apple's fans just have to accept it and love it. You play right into the Apple sheep mentality. People can love their products but question them on decisions they make. That's how they get better, by pushing them, not just accepting whatever they decide to throw at us.

That's the whole point, people are bashing the product when they have not even used it. There was also the prior argument over google data vs. apple data. Try the product first and then have a sound educated comment instead of bashing things. Many are bashing over the price, not over the item. Same as with iPhone X. Argue the product on it's merit and not if you like Apple or not. It's beyond childish. Also if you note.. I said the post was (sarcastic) on purpose. ps.. lacunas is not a word.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
That's the whole point, people are bashing the product when they have not even used it. There was also the prior argument over google data vs. apple data. Try the product first and then have a sound educated comment instead of bashing things. Many are bashing over the price, not over the item. Same as with iPhone X. Argue the product on it's merit and not if you like Apple or not. It's beyond childish. Also if you note.. I said the post was (sarcastic) on purpose. ps.. lacunas is not a word.

No you are missing the point. The point is that Siri is mostly underwhelming and isn’t going to be vastly improved with the launch of the HomePod. It’s also not launching with a full feature set. The audio may be great, but I don’t know that that justifies the price.

And privacy doesn’t have anything to do with it. It’s not privacy that keeps Siri from being more useful. Privacy isn’t keeping Siri from being able to answer questions without just giving a we link. It’s lack of development for it because Apple thinks it’s great in its current form, as evidence by them launching it on Macs with zero improvement over the phone Siri.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No you are missing the point. The point is that Siri is mostly underwhelming and isn’t going to be vastly improved with the launch of the HomePod. It’s also not launching with a full feature set. The audio may be great, but I don’t know that that justifies the price.

And privacy doesn’t have anything to do with it. It’s not privacy that keeps Siri from being more useful. Privacy isn’t keeping Siri from being able to answer questions without just giving a we link. It’s lack of development for it because Apple thinks it’s great in its current form, as evidence by them launching it on Macs with zero improvement over the phone Siri.

Exactly, so why are people arguing over it. It's a hopefully superior sounding device that can be used in conjunction with Apple Music / iTunes and your phone. If you're looking for a basic improved Siri speaker, that's not what this product was designed to be. They spent their money in making a superior sounding music device that works with Siri.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
This just shows that we all look at products from from different perspectives and with different interpretations of usefulness. To say a product will be a failure before it is launched is ridiculous because we don’t know what the general population wants and needs. I’m sure lots of people find Siri useful, others do not. If this thing sounds great and integrates with iTunes flawlessly I might still buy one just for that. Others may not.
So be it.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, so why are people arguing over it. It's a hopefully superior sounding device that can be used in conjunction with Apple Music / iTunes and your phone. If you're looking for a basic improved Siri speaker, that's not what this product was designed to be. They spent their money in making a superior sounding music device that works with Siri.

Yes, and one that i think is overhyped and won’t sell very well, which was the whole point. Doesn’t mean you or anyone else can’t like it though.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and one that i think is overhyped and won’t sell very well, which was the whole point. Doesn’t mean you or anyone else can’t like it though.

Same way everyone said the iPhone 8 and 8+, Airpods, Apple Watch, etc.. would never sell well.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Same way everyone said the iPhone 8 and 8+, Airpods, Apple Watch, etc.. would never sell well.

I guess. I’m not everyone and never said that. But this is a market that Apple doesn’t own and where there is intense competition that no one was really asking for. And since you brought it up, the 8 and 8+ have sold poorly compared to other iPhone models. AirPod sales are small, unless you have data to show otherwise. And the Apple Watch sales I guess are good, but Apple doesn’t release sales numbers for it so no one knows how well it’s sold.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I guess. I’m not everyone and never said that. But this is a market that Apple doesn’t own and where there is intense competition that no one was really asking for. And since you brought it up, the 8 and 8+ have sold poorly compared to other iPhone models. AirPod sales are small, unless you have data to show otherwise. And the Apple Watch sales I guess are good, but Apple doesn’t release sales numbers for it so no one knows how well it’s sold.

It's obvious nothing will make you happy and you're here to trash anyone's enjoyment over Apple products, so I am done. Some people are here to just troll or make others miserable. Not for me, sorry.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It's obvious nothing will make you happy and you're here to trash anyone's enjoyment over Apple products, so I am done. Some people are here to just troll or make others miserable. Not for me, sorry.

Hahaha, whatever man. Keep being you though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I think the X had a little to do with the 8 series sales.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess. I’m not everyone and never said that. But this is a market that Apple doesn’t own and where there is intense competition that no one was really asking for.

I agree, but at the same time that’s what Apple seems to be good at. They may not innovate at every turn but they design products that work well.
I don’t think they’re expecting these to sell like hot cakes and become the next best thing. Probably just a niche while they integrate Siri more into them, whether it’s to run iTunes or search the internet for gummy bears. I’m intrigued by the sound technology and how they adapt to the room they’re in and the placement in that room. That’s the current innovation. Whether they’re worth $399 is up to each individual.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73