This thing is way overhyped

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
This is the first Apple Product in a long time where I'm scratching my head and saying "What's the big deal?." I mean, its a speaker with Siri built into it. Honestly, Siri blows and is barely useful now. I don't see the allure in having it in a speaker in my home when the one on my phone will do the exact same thing.

This is just my opinion, but I think sales of this thing are going to be pitiful. There are way to many other less expensive options out there and people aren't going to run and buy a $350 Apple speaker because it has Siri in it, which most people barely use now.

Again, just my opinion, but this thing is going to be a huge miss for Apple.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't plan on buying one, but I don't necessarily think sales are gonna be that bad. Will it sell like other Apple products? Most definitely not. Especially in its first iteration. I'm interested in hearing how it sounds though. Apple is pushing the sound more than the Siri thing.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't plan on buying one, but I don't necessarily think sales are gonna be that bad. Will it sell like other Apple products? Most definitely not. Especially in its first iteration. I'm interested in hearing how it sounds though. Apple is pushing the sound more than the Siri thing.

That's my impression too! I also see more emphasis on the quality of the sound. I really am not interested in the homepod... and I think there are more affordable options out there. However, we won't know until it's out there and people start sharing about it. That will determine whether or not sales will either soar or take a dive. Somehow I don't think they will be "flat"... but they won't be sky high either. Time will tell!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
That's my impression too! I also see more emphasis on the quality of the sound. I really am not interested in the homepod... and I think there are more affordable options out there. However, we won't know until it's out there and people start sharing about it. That will determine whether or not sales will either soar or take a dive. Somehow I don't think they will be "flat"... but they won't be sky high either. Time will tell!

That's the thing, I just don't need a speaker right now. If I did I'd look pretty closely at it. I personally don't care for any of the home assistants. I don't even use them on my phones. That goes for Google's as well as Apple's. It still feels odd to me to talk to my gadgets I guess.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use Siri for little things like turning on my alarm, sending a text when I'm driving, and basically silly stuff. I can see the attraction of using Siri to turn lights on and off, but for many of it's other functions, I'm not there yet.

This morning, while driving into work, we were listening to our "regular" morning show. The DJ's were talking about Alexa, and the Super Bowl. Apparently, Alexa favors the Philadelphia Eagles, and when asked to predict the winner of the upcoming Super Bowl, Alexa responded “I'm flying with the Eagles with this one because of their relentless defense and the momentum they've been riding off their underdog status. E-A-G-L-E-S. Eagles.”

So I asked Siri who will win the Super Bowl and Siri responded with "The Odds favor the Patriots by 5 points". I then asked "Hey Siri, who do you want to win the Super Bowl and Siri responded "The team with the cleats on". I was a bit disappointed that Siri's response wasn't more clever!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I actually think that's just dumb enough to be funny. That's honestly the only thing I use Siri for. To try and get silly answers like that.

My most favorite Siri moment when you say to Siri: "Hey Siri, I see a little silhouette of a man". :laughing:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
For $350 I'm really expecting the audio on this thing to blow the competition out of the water. I have an HK bluetooth speaker that ran me around $150 and it sounds great. If Apple can't at least exceed the sound quality on that, then I have no desires to purchase this. I don't find Siri useful as it is. Can't imagine that will change with this. At most, I'd make requests for songs I want to hear.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use Siri. A Homepod would just be clutter I never use. I have a great stereo system now that I'm satisfied with. Apple gets enough of my money already.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like with the other similar offerings from Google and Amazon, I’m sure Apple’s HomePod is useful for a good deal of people who prefer always listening devices. I’m also sure it’s well built, sounds great and Siri is probably enhanced to be better than you it is on our other devices. I’m just not into these types of devices ‘right now’. I don’t own any of the available offerings. Will I get one in the future? Probably, but not in the foreseeable future.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, Siri just isn’t very useful. And while I have my home connected to Smart lighting, it’s just as easy to say to my phone “Hey Siri, dim the dining room lights.” I don’t need a HomePod to do that.

I think Apple honestly thinks Siri is a bigger deal to people than it really is. People don’t use it, and it’s just doesn’t work very well most of the time. I hate getting the “These are the results from the web.” I can look stuff up on the web myself, I want Siri to give me the answer.

I’m sure the sound will be great; but Apple is launching a product not even fully baked for nearly twice the amount of competitive speakers. To me that means they either think the sound quality is worth it, or that people really think that having Siri is that big of a deal. I really hope it isn’t the latter.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, Siri just isn’t very useful.
. Please say that Siri isn't very useful for you because it's very useful to me and others.
And while I have my home connected to Smart lighting, it’s just as easy to say to my phone “Hey Siri, dim the dining room lights.” I don’t need a HomePod to do that.
. Agreed

I think Apple honestly thinks Siri is a bigger deal to people than it really is.
. Maybe. Maybe not. It could be that more people use it than you realize.
People don’t use it, and it’s just doesn’t work very well most of the time.
This may be true for "you", but not for everyone. I use Siri frequently and it does what I need it to do far more times than it does not.
I hate getting the “These are the results from the web.” I can look stuff up on the web myself, I want Siri to give me the answer.
. None of the current crop of always listening devices can answer every query, but I am in agreement with you in regard to Siri finding search results instead of giving the actual answer.

I’m sure the sound will be great; but Apple is launching a product not even fully baked for nearly twice the amount of competitive speakers.
. Do you have one? Have you played with one yet?
To me that means they either think the sound quality is worth it, or that people really think that having Siri is that big of a deal. I really hope it isn’t the latter.
Why not? You can't expect everyone to think like you or find Siri as useless as you do. Many of us can make the best of what we have.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I’m not gonna judge the usefulness of it and how well Siri will work till it’s in the consumers hands. Apple will no doubt enhance it to be better than its competitors

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
. Please say that Siri isn't very useful for you because it's very useful to me and others. . Agreed

. Maybe. Maybe not. It could be that more people use it than you realize. This may be true for "you", but not for everyone. I use Siri frequently and it does what I need it to do far more times than it does not. . None of the current crop of always listening devices can answer every query, but I am in agreement with you in regard to Siri finding search results instead of giving the actual answer.

. Do you have one? Have you played with one yet? Why not? You can't expect everyone to think like you or find Siri as useless as you do. Many of us can make the best of what we have.

Solid points, and "in my opinion" should be after every thing I said.

But it is being launched not fully baked. Multi Room Audio and Stereo will NOT be available at launch, so to me that's not a fully baked product especially if you want to use them in multiple rooms together. Apple has been a little late on the software side of things lately (see Apple Pay messaging and iCloud messaging) so who knows when that feature will be available.

And don't get me wrong, I love Apple and their products. I just think Siri isn't all that great and isn't really all that useful. It hasn't progressed like I thought it would have by now. Maybe some day, but now its still a novelty feature to me that isn't really faster or more useful than looking up something on my phone or computer, which to me is the whole point of Siri's existence.

Last edited:

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I’m not gonna judge the usefulness of it and how well Siri will work till it’s in the consumers hands. Apple will no doubt enhance it to be better than its competitors

That's already a miss because Apple hasn't enhanced Siri to be better than the competitors. Many would argue that the virtual assistants from Google, Android, and Windows have surpassed Siri in every way. The Siri on the HomePod is the Siri on your phone, so its not going to be anything different.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That's already a miss because Apple hasn't enhanced Siri to be better than the competitors. Many would argue that the virtual assistants from Google, Android, and Windows have surpassed Siri in every way. The Siri on the HomePod is the Siri on your phone, so its not going to be anything different.

We can agree to disagree on this

Apple has put Siri on the back burner for a long while but there’s no way there gonna let its short comings stand when there releasing a new product that will rely heavily on consumer to AI interaction.

Although I will not be buying a HomePod I feel all users will benefit on the Siri improvements that will come in time.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think it's the price point for most people. If they were launching at $99 this post would be way different and people would be in line to get one. Mine was about $380 with tax delivered (on 2/9..).. Like said above, I use Siri every day, on my phone, on my watch, while driving to send a text or make call via BT. It's very useful for me, and granted it needs some work, no doubt. I get frustrated too at some of the laughable but annoying mistakes.

All that being said, I have a Google Home device (got basically fee at BB), and I have two Echo devices, which I will say makes Siri seem like Einstein. Will move on of the echo's to my biz office, it's fine for asking about weather, set a reminder and play my work music mix.

Reason I am getting the Homepod is that I do use Siri and I use my phone, and I have all my contacts, and I do have a playlist and I do have audio books on my phone and I do use reminders and I do.... (insert long list)...

I am looking forward to the sound quality. I think Apple did their testing and will blow away the Echo and Google Home and that will be nice. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit.

I don't get everything NEW Apple, I passed on the Apple iPhone X for the 8-Plus, I just don't really like the X, will wait and see if there there is an XI this fall.

Question now is.. when I have my 8+ on the upright wireless charger, and my Apple Watch S3 on my wrist and the Homepod 18" away and I say "Hey Siri" what will happen? Hopefully it does not matter, as it will all integrate and that's another reason I want the Homepod.

Final reason I want the Homepod is that I work a lot, sometimes 18-hour days. I don't have a fancy car, I don't travel much anymore, and I have one thing I like, upgrading my Apple Products... it's my one treat for myself. That and my new HP Spectre laptop, love that sucker! Yep, will all my love for iOS, I use windows based computers.. :)

Happy Friday Everyone, have a lovely weekend!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73