I just have to ask .. Do you think Apple isn't using the same stuff for Siri that Google is using for assistant? Such as YOUR ("OUR") data? They are. They have to. That is how an assistant gets better ... by learning about "OUR" data. .

Just so someone doens't think I am pulling it out of my hat.

Not trying to start a "Google is better!" "No Apple is!" but let's not pretend Apple isn't trying to get user data as well. ALL companies are. Assistant is only ahead (IMO) because Google has been doing the voice thing for a long long time with a ton of users (Android, iPhone, Computers, etc.).

I will say Google is definitely more involved a ton but user data helps them learn things. It may not be specifically "John smith did (X)" but I digress. I am okay with it since I want them to improve. I use Siri on my Apple TV to help launch apps with a quickness.

As for the HomePod it has me interested. I am interested in it and the Google Home Max as well since I like smart speakers and would love an amazing sounding one but the only thing holding me back is $$. The other concerns not so much.
    That was my point since the beginning. Apple is using the same data, but they are somewhat restricted by a totally different policy about those data. Thus the difference.
    I don’t want to start a debate about Google vs Apple too, mostly because in MY opinion (which is the ONLY opinion that counts when MY money are involved ), Apple is way ahead.
    Returning to the topic, I’m not going to judge the HomePod without trying it, and I know Siri isn’t up to the task yet. But I’m positive HomePod sales could drive the improvement even faster.
    And in this particular case, music quality and Apple Music integration are selling points.
    01-28-2018 03:21 AM
    I honestly think it would have been a good move for Apple to create this to compete against the likes of Amazon's Echo or Google Home
    01-28-2018 08:58 AM
    I don't think anyone is declaring HomePod a failure. Since iPod, we have yet to see a mainstream product failure from Apple. I'm just thinking this is one of Apple's riskier offerings. They have the cash to cover it, but there is a possibility this thing flops.

Interesting to see how Apple supports this. 10 year old Sonos speakers still get software updates.
    01-28-2018 11:46 AM
    I don't think the HomePod has been overhyped. I mean, I think it's being marketed on it's strengths and is looking to compete with Sonos. To me, they are marketing to the Apple consumer who has or is considering a Sonos system.

With Sonos making Alexa, and soon GA, available in their products, it makes sense for Apple to say to their core consumer that is into audio, "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you. We have a high quality product that has Siri, the assistant you already use, baked in". For that consumer, this product makes perfect sense.

Apple knows they need to work on Siri, and they have made changes in the corporate structure to address that. I believe you'll see smaller "puck like" speakers coming from them that are more directly targeted to smart home speakers soon. This just isn't that product.

I mean, we're talking about a company that put out the iPod Mini and the Shuffle, for crying out loud. They can do "smaller".
    kataran, TgeekB and Just_Me_D like this.
    01-28-2018 02:02 PM
    Well I'm just stating my opinion on it. And the fact that it was reported today that Siri has been severely crippled is just another example of why this product is poised to fail. Again, my opinion (and I still love Apple products) but this product is a miss.
    01-29-2018 09:09 PM
    Well I'm just stating my opinion on it. And the fact that it was reported today that Siri has been severely crippled is just another example of why this product is poised to fail. Again, my opinion (and I still love Apple products) but this product is a miss.
    Poised to fail? Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell.
    01-29-2018 09:28 PM
    Overhyped? I don’t think Apple has hyped this up much at all. It’s a speaker after all and not an iPhone. This isn’t going to create lines like the iPhone does at launch. Word is it sounds great. Am I ordering? No. I am interested in it but in no desire to need one right away. I’ll wait until it comes out and go from there. I do know some people who ordered so I’ll check theirs out first.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-29-2018 09:33 PM
    Alright, let me ask you this.. Forget other home speakers for a second and just consider the speaker alone, no SIRI. If Apple looked at the market and said, "We want to play on the high end and that's SONOS. Position the Homepod as an alternative to that market". As an audio speaker only, would you still feel that it's overhyped?
    01-29-2018 09:35 PM
    Alright, let me ask you this.. Forget other home speakers for a second and just consider the speaker alone, no SIRI. If Apple looked at the market and said, "We want to play on the high end and that's SONOS. Position the Homepod as an alternative to that market". As an audio speaker only, would you still feel that it's overhyped?
    With that comparison you almost have to say its “overhyped”, or at the least, overpriced. The Sonos One is half the price, or 2 for the same price.

It doesnt make any logical sense to buy the HomePod unless you’re buying the Apple brand.
    01-29-2018 09:45 PM
    Honestly I think it would be even worse then. HomePod can't connect to multiple HomePods (as of now), Air Play 2 doesn't work yet and it is limited to Apple Music (which to me is baffling as they are taking away large portions of sales from people who might want it, but use Spotify or an alternative instead). So at the price point Apple is offering this thing at, yes, I think it would be even worse if it was just a speaker.

Sonos has a finished product on the market. To me, the HomePod isn't a finished product and won't be for quite some time. Outside of maybe sound, which most likely only serious Audiophiles are going to notice, I don't see how the HomePod has any advantage over the Play1, which offers a massive amount of more features than the HomePod, and you can get two of them for the price of one HomePod.
    01-29-2018 09:50 PM
    With that comparison you almost have to say its “overhyped”, or at the least, overpriced. The Sonos One is half the price, or 2 for the same price.

It doesnt make any logical sense to buy the HomePod unless you’re buying the Apple brand.
    So this is exactly my point. IMO, Apple is marketing this device to their core customer, not the fringe. They are marketing to the consumer that has 3 or more Apple devices in the home and 2+ services. THAT is who I think they want to buy first and foremost.

Apple isn't concerned about a consumer like me with this product. I own one Apple device, an iPad. Their marketing to someone like me is to look at the phone next, not the speaker. The rest of the market that's 100% outside of Apple and owns zero products, this isn't for them.
    01-29-2018 09:55 PM
    So this is exactly my point. IMO, Apple is marketing this device to their core customer, not the fringe. They are marketing to the consumer that has 3 or more Apple devices in the home and 2+ services. THAT is who I think they want to buy first and foremost.

Apple isn't concerned about a consumer like me with this product. I own one Apple device, an iPad. Their marketing to someone like me is to look at the phone next, not the speaker. The rest of the market that's 100% outside of Apple and owns zero products, this isn't for them.
    And that is the basis for my dislike towards apple. They are pricing a product at an unreasonable price because they know people will see the logo and pay whatever ridiculous price point they feel they can get away with.

Theres no denying there are far better options on the market for less cost yet people will still buy this thing solely because its Apple. They could slap an Apple logo on a Yugo, call it the iGO, and people would pay 30 grand for it.

Their core customers are fools imo.
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    01-29-2018 10:00 PM
    And that is the basis for my dislike towards apple. They are pricing a product at an unreasonable price because they know people will see the logo and pay whatever ridiculous price point they feel they can get away with.

Theres no denying there are far better options on the market for less cost yet people will still buy this thing solely because its Apple. They could slap an Apple logo on a Yugo, call it the iGO, and people would pay 30 grand for it.

Well, there is a reason people will pay higher prices. They like the products. Apple is able to command a higher price because people will pay for what they feel is a higher quality product. That type of loyalty is earned, and it isn’t easy to get.

Calling their core customers fools is like calling people who don’t buy Apple Products “cheapskates.” It’s a broad statement that really doesn’t make any sense. If someone buys a lower cost Android phone they might do it for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with cost.

Personally though I think they made a misstep here and that the HomePod will see a significant price reduction due to poor sales. I don't think there is enough of a market for people that are going to buy this product because it might sound slightly better than one of the other higher end speakers that have a lot more features. Again, this is all my opinion and I honestly hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.
    Last edited by donnation; 01-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Just_Me_D and DMP89145 like this.
    01-30-2018 12:44 AM

You clearly do not know the Apple consumer. Your inability to separate your disdain for the prices Apple charge for its products from your elitist mentality that anyone who buys those products are lemmings or fools is a knock on ‘you’. In addition, calling someone a fool for basically not thinking like you is being a fool, in my opinion.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-30-2018 05:55 AM
    You clearly do not know the Apple consumer. Your inability to separate your disdain for the prices Apple charge for its products from your elitist mentality that anyone who buys those products are lemmings or fools is a knock on ‘you’. In addition, calling someone a fool for basically not thinking like you is being a fool, in my opinion.
    Has nothing to do with my disdain or not thinking like me. If you dismiss the fact that its twice the price with half the features of its competitor just because its an Apple product, thats foolish. Again, imo.

They do this price gouging across most of their products and people excuse it. Look at the cost to get fast charging on a $1000-1150 iPhone X. $75? Yet people try and justify it.
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    01-30-2018 06:10 AM

Well... You're entitled to your own take, for sure, but I think you're a little wide here.

Every successful business has core customers that like and appreciate their offerings. I don't think the HomePod is a gateway product. In other words I don't think they're looking to introduce new people to the Apple brand with this device. On that I think we can agree.

If that's the case, then they are looking to sell HomePod to customers that already know and like the brand and the ecosystem. That customer has shown to be comfortable with Apple's pricing point and that's okay. Every business has customers like that.
    01-30-2018 09:09 AM
    Honestly I think it would be even worse then. HomePod can't connect to multiple HomePods (as of now), Air Play 2 doesn't work yet and it is limited to Apple Music (which to me is baffling as they are taking away large portions of sales from people who might want it, but use Spotify or an alternative instead). So at the price point Apple is offering this thing at, yes, I think it would be even worse if it was just a speaker.

Sonos has a finished product on the market. To me, the HomePod isn't a finished product and won't be for quite some time. Outside of maybe sound, which most likely only serious Audiophiles are going to notice, I don't see how the HomePod has any advantage over the Play1, which offers a massive amount of more features than the HomePod, and you can get two of them for the price of one HomePod.
    Interesting. Well we don't know what Apple would consider "successful". Maybe they aren't planning on making a ton. Maybe they only want to manufacture less than 5 million and only want people who DO have Apple Music subscriptions to consider this initial offering.

We just don't know their overall plan.
    01-30-2018 09:26 AM
    Well... You're entitled to your own take, for sure, but I think you're a little wide here.

Every successful business has core customers that like and appreciate their offerings. I don't think the HomePod is a gateway product. In other words I don't think they're looking to introduce new people to the Apple brand with this device. On that I think we can agree.

If that's the case, then they are looking to sell HomePod to customers that already know and like the brand and the ecosystem. That customer has shown to be comfortable with Apple's pricing point and that's okay. Every business has customers like that.
    I dont disagree with any of that. What I find absurd is the discussion of whether the price is justified for the features provided. Its hard to argue that it is but people keep trying.

For example. I have an employee who is one of the biggest Apple fanboys Ive ever met. He ordered 2 HomePods but has a Sonos setup that up until a few days ago was the greatest setup in the world according to him. When I asked him why he was replacing the Sonos system his response was “The HomePod is better”. When pressed why its better, the consistent answer was “Apple made it”. Not that it sounds better, its got better features, it looks better, “Apple made it”.

Thats the “core users” I am referring to. The ones who base the quality of products on the logo printed on the packaging.

Steve Jobs created products with the intent of benefiting the end user. Making things easier and useful. Tim Cook has gone for the benefit of profits and in many cases greed. This device is just another example of that greed. But people still line up to buy into the idea that that logo makes it elite.
    01-30-2018 09:29 AM
    I dont disagree with any of that. What I find absurd is the discussion of whether the price is justified for the features provided. Its hard to argue that it is but people keep trying.

For example. I have an employee who is one of the biggest Apple fanboys Ive ever met. He ordered 2 HomePods but has a Sonos setup that up until a few days ago was the greatest setup in the world according to him. When I asked him why he was replacing the Sonos system his response was “The HomePod is better”. When pressed why its better, the consistent answer was “Apple made it”. Not that it sounds better, its got better features, it looks better, “Apple made it”.

Thats the “core users” I am referring to. The ones who base the quality of products on the logo printed on the packaging.

Steve Jobs created products with the intent of benefiting the end user. Making things easier and useful. Tim Cook has gone for the benefit of profits and in many cases greed. This device is just another example of that greed. But people still line up to buy into the idea that that logo makes it elite.
    Interesting take. I guess, for me at least, I just assume that all businesses price to what the market can bear. So, I don't really ever have a feeling about price because I think market forces fleshes out whether pricing is "off".

I'm not sure I've ever drawn a correlation between a company and it's customers. I kinda see them separately, I guess. What a company produces is separate from the customer reaction, whether they rave about it or think it's sub-par. So in your example, I don't know that Apple did anything to cause that type attitude in your employee besides produce product. But as a business, is that not what you desire? Raving fans that have deep faith in your brand?

I guess, I don't necessarily disagree that consumers should give proper weight to their purchases. That's a different discussion for another thread sometime.
    01-30-2018 11:35 AM

But as a business, is that not what you desire? Raving fans that have deep faith in your brand?
    Absolutely. I pride myself on my customers knowing they are getting the best product I can produce at a price reflective of my products quality.

In terms of this thread though, the question is if the HomePod is overhyped. This brings the company and the consumer together to determine if thats the case.

Apple has produced what appears to be a very good speaker. They have priced it twice as high as their direct competition. The feature set is significantly less than what that nearest competition offers and based on early reviews the sound difference between the 2 is marginal at best.

On the consumer end (based on the responses from this forum and the few people Ive discussed this item with) you have again, a very good speaker. They acknowledge the feature set is lacking, primarily siri. They also acknowledge the price is twice as high as its nearest competition. When you question why someone would still purchase it knowing these details, in many cases the response is "Its Apple" or I like siri. That boggles my mind. How can you support and like a feature that was first to the stage and falls so far behind the abilities of every other competitor on the market? You're excusing the fact that the technology has incredible potential but the developers have abandoned it.

That ties the 2 together. Its on Apple to produce the quality their reputation has been built on and imo that has dropped since Tim Cook took over. Its also on Apple to continue to innovate like they were "known for" and imo that has dropped since Tim Cook. Its up to the consumer to stop excusing shortcomings because of brand loyalty. I wouldnt sell my clients an inferior product at twice the cost and expect them to beg for more. Apples greed and subpar releases of late fall solely on the shoulders of "the core users", like my employee. "Because its Apple", doesnt work anymore. It used to and I was a huge proponent of that phrase.

So when you look at Apples promo of the device and the consumers reaction to it with the facts we have detailing and comparing it, yes it is overhyped and overpriced. However, the "core" users will still jump on this thing because of that logo and we will continue to get inferior products at much higher costs.

Can you imagine the innovation that would take place from a company as big as Apple if the "core" users would stop excusing mediocrity?
    01-30-2018 12:01 PM
    According to reviews from those who got time with the Homepod, the sound is outstandingly better than Amazon Echo and Google Home and noticeably better than Sonos.
    01-30-2018 01:49 PM
    I'm finding myself more and more intrigued about the Homepod, and am finding that I am no longer inclined to write it off. I'm looking forward to reading and hearing (via a myriad of podcasts) people's experiences with it. I really wish it well!
    01-30-2018 02:53 PM
    I'm finding myself more and more intrigued about the Homepod, and am finding that I am no longer inclined to write it off. I'm looking forward to reading and hearing (via a myriad of podcasts) people's experiences with it. I really wish it well!
    Ok this is interesting. What has changed to make you more intrigued by it?
    01-30-2018 02:59 PM
    Ok this is interesting. What has changed to make you more intrigued by it?
    I can't say whether or not it's a bad habit, but I always tend to look at things through a very narrow scope. So in regards to the Homepod, when I thought about it initially, I just couldn't imagine why "I" would want it. I didn't want to spend the money, and I could think of other things that I would rather spend that amount on.

So reading and listening to a variety of opinions, I've been taken out of my narrow little world, and can see that the Homepod has lots of potential. I've also considered how I've reacted in the past about other new items, namely, the Airpods. There has always been a lot of chatter about new products... mixed with rumor and fact. I was totally uninterested in Airpods... and now I find that I'm considering purchasing them.

So I've decided that I'm too quick to judge, that I judge based on a lack of accurate and valid information. I'm quick to join in with others who could be described as naysayers. I now realize that I just need to patiently wait for honest to goodness concrete and literal feedback.

And, I should have more faith in Apple to produce something good, something potentially really good. In my mind they have a pretty good track record. I recognize that there have been missteps, and that there is room for improvement, but overall, I am very happy with what they've produced, and I need to keep that in mind before I jump to judge.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-30-2018 03:14 PM
    I can't say whether or not it's a bad habit, but I always tend to look at things through a very narrow scope. So in regards to the Homepod, when I thought about it initially, I just couldn't imagine why "I" would want it. I didn't want to spend the money, and I could think of other things that I would rather spend that amount on.

So reading and listening to a variety of opinions, I've been taken out of my narrow little world, and can see that the Homepod has lots of potential. I've also considered how I've reacted in the past about other new items, namely, the Airpods. There has always been a lot of chatter about new products... mixed with rumor and fact. I was totally uninterested in Airpods... and now I find that I'm considering purchasing them.

So I've decided that I'm too quick to judge, that I judge based on a lack of accurate and valid information. I'm quick to join in with others who could be described as naysayers. I now realize that I just need to patiently wait for honest to goodness concrete and literal feedback.

And, I should have more faith in Apple to produce something good, something potentially really good. In my mind they have a pretty good track record. I recognize that there have been missteps, and that there is room for improvement, but overall, I am very happy with what they've produced, and I need to keep that in mind before I jump to judge.
    Ok so its not a feature thing that has you intrigued, its more to do with having an open mind towards a new product?

Im heavily critical of Apple products for various reasons. Mainly the cost they charge for the features you get. I am however honest enough to say if somebody or something informs me of something worthy of those price tags, I will give it a fair shot.

Case in point, the Apple watch. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever released when it came out, even though Im a huge watch collector. I hated the design and redundancy of notifications but most importantly the price. Then my Apple fanboy employee started showing me what it was capable of and I bought one. At the release it was ok but I ended up selling. Now I have bought a 3rd gen version and I absolutely love it. The apps have progressed, the usefulness is now apparent to me and the price seems a bit more reasonable.

This Homepod is baffling though. I just cant wrap my head around the potential of it. Its a speaker with a voice assistant that is severely lacking. It only streams one music service without a phone to utilize airplay, yet its so much more than the competition. I have begged the guy at work to make me see this things potential, primarily because he hasnt shut up about it in days, and Im getting nothing from him. Heres a grown man so excited about something but cant tell me why.

I would happily throw my money at this thing if it made sense (I have an insane amount of speakers so this should be right up my alley) but I cannot for the life of me understand what makes this twice the price of the competition.
    01-30-2018 03:27 PM
118 ... 2345