So, HomePod is a streaming media player and Homekit hub, running iOS, that can be controlled by Siri. Doesn't that also describe the AppleTV?

I think the next iteration of AppleTV pretty much has to include a similar microphone array to HomePod. The AppleTV would look bizarrely weak compared to HomePod if it continues to rely on the Siri remote.

Will a new AppleTV include speakers like HomePod? That could make some sense. A sound bar form would let AppleTV use some of the audio processing magic of the HomePod to enhance TV audio. For music, it could be a full companion to HomePod in multi-room playback. OTOH, many people are happy with their existing options for TV sound out and wouldn't pay extra for an AppleTV that includes speakers. Perhaps there will be AppleTV versions with and without speakers? That doesn't really seem to be the Apple way.

Nonetheless, I think the next rev of the AppleTV is going to get a new remote and internal microphones.

Craig
    06-07-2017 06:34 AM
    I can’t say for certain, but you could very well be right. We’ll know soon enough...
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-07-2017 06:33 PM
    So, HomePod is a streaming media player and Homekit hub, running iOS, that can be controlled by Siri. Doesn't that also describe the AppleTV?

I think the next iteration of AppleTV pretty much has to include a similar microphone array to HomePod. The AppleTV would look bizarrely weak compared to HomePod if it continues to rely on the Siri remote.

Will a new AppleTV include speakers like HomePod? That could make some sense. A sound bar form would let AppleTV use some of the audio processing magic of the HomePod to enhance TV audio. For music, it could be a full companion to HomePod in multi-room playback. OTOH, many people are happy with their existing options for TV sound out and wouldn't pay extra for an AppleTV that includes speakers. Perhaps there will be AppleTV versions with and without speakers? That doesn't really seem to be the Apple way.

Nonetheless, I think the next rev of the AppleTV is going to get a new remote and internal microphones.

Craig
    I think HomePod could just be updated to control AppleTV, and to play audio from AppleTV as a sort of smart home-theater setup. Why cram it all into AppleTV if you could keep the AppleTV price down by keeping it more similar to how it is currently, and also incentivize people to buy both products?
    06-29-2017 02:02 PM
    I think HomePod could just be updated to control AppleTV, and to play audio from AppleTV as a sort of smart home-theater setup. Why cram it all into AppleTV if you could keep the AppleTV price down by keeping it more similar to how it is currently, and also incentivize people to buy both products?
    Right now, the AppleTV does very little different from the Roku or FireTV products...but costs a lot more. Apple has never been one to go toe-to-toe with competitors on price. An AppleTV Soundbar (aka mashup of current AppleTV and HomePod) would provide a meaningful differentiation via their sound processing magic. That lets Apple keep and justify a premium price. Really, it is the guts of the HomePod with an HDMI-out. So they may not price it that much higher than a basic HomePod.

Maybe they'll name them "HomePod Music" and HomePod TV" to make it clear what each does?

Craig
    06-29-2017 06:50 PM
    Right now, the AppleTV does very little different from the Roku or FireTV products...but costs a lot more. Apple has never been one to go toe-to-toe with competitors on price. An AppleTV Soundbar (aka mashup of current AppleTV and HomePod) would provide a meaningful differentiation via their sound processing magic. That lets Apple keep and justify a premium price. Really, it is the guts of the HomePod with an HDMI-out. So they may not price it that much higher than a basic HomePod.

Maybe they'll name them "HomePod Music" and HomePod TV" to make it clear what each does?

Craig
    I can't imagine that's a market Apple is all that interested in. If I had to guess, the marketing of the HomePod as a music device is a cover for the fact that Apple hasn't quite gotten the Siri capability to where it needs to be. Going one step further, I bet they are trying to nail the multi-user voice recognition.

I will be surprised if in two years Sonos isn't part of one of these big AI players. A Sonos speaker with Alexa, Google Assistant, etc is the best option on the market across various price points. Adding Sonos to the Amazon product line would put Siri and Google Assistant at a huge disadvantage.
    07-07-2017 07:35 PM
    I will be surprised if in two years Sonos isn't part of one of these big AI players. A Sonos speaker with Alexa, Google Assistant, etc is the best option on the market across various price points. Adding Sonos to the Amazon product line would put Siri and Google Assistant at a huge disadvantage.
    I've heard rumors that Sonos is already working on including Alexa. Sonos doesn't need to be acquired by Amazon because Alexa is available for 3rd parties to integrate, such as in the newest Ecobee smart thermostat.
    07-27-2017 06:47 AM