Is the HomePod worth $349 USD to you?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Boy you're really hung up on the $350... no the key to the device is the sound quality and being able to control it with voice commands. I get calls and interruptions all day, it's worth it to say "hey siri pause music" I use many siri commands with the home pod I can't with a BT speaker. I like the ability to pick and choose songs with a voice command and yes, the little cost difference between that and a sound bar is not an issue.

There were other problem wife was having that the speaker was very dumb with. She would say play the Katy Perry Teenage dream album. It would just play the teenage dream song and stop. She would ask the same thing again about playing the album. It would only play the song. For something that’s driven by Siri and isn’t very smart, that’s a problem. All these reason I’m hung up on $350. It’s not very smart at this stage and it needs to be when it can’t distinguish play just a song or the entire album.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There were other problem wife was having that the speaker was very dumb with. She would say play the Katy Perry Teenage dream album. It would just play the teenage dream sing and stop. She would ask the same thing again about playing the album. It would only play the song. For something that’s driven by Siri and isn’t very smart, that’s a problem. All these reason I’m hung up on $350. It’s not very smart at this stage and it needs to be when it can’t distinguish play just a song or the entire album.

Still smarter than other speakers that you can shout at all day, and they will never respond. Apple was more than clear from the start, this was a Speaker first and Siri a distant 2nd.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Still smarter than other speakers that you can shout at all day, and they will never respond. Apple was more than clear from the start, this was a Speaker first and Siri a distant 2nd.

Yes I know. But when it’s driven by Siri to understand what you want to play and it can’t, that’s a problem. This feels like a half baked product. I mean it’s simple. It doesn’t understand that you are asking for an album and not just the song.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I purchased a brand new HomePod via the Apple Store app and then went to pick it up from the Apple Store at the Mall at Millennia. When the Apple Store employee handed me the bag containing my HomePod, I clearly underestimated how heavy it was. I felt as if I were lugging some weights around on my way back to my car. Seriously, you can easily crack someone’s cranium with this sucker!....(laughing)....Anyway, I’m now at home playing one of my old school playlists and I’m impressed with the sound, specifically it’s clarity from such a small speaker. The Siri feature works well at my normal speaking volume, even while listening to the music. The highs are crisp, the bass is heavy, but not overly heavy, the mids could be better, but that’s not a negative - just an observation. At the moment, I’m listening to the song, “Strawberry Letter 23” and I’ve come to the conclusion that the person who wrote the lyrics may have been stoned out of his mind.......Anyway, is it worth $349 to ‘me’? I don’t regret buying it at all, but $249 to $279 should have been its price range in my opinion. Either way, it’s a keeper.....

iBloke

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I’ve reserved my overall opinion since 9th February when I first received my HomePod, which cost me $499 AUS

I listen to music Most of every day. (And including other usage like Netflix my HomePod has almost never been silent for over a month now)

I subscribed to Apple Music the day after receiving my HomePod.

As a professional sound engineer of 30+ years I understand Tone.

The HomePod has “Tone” in spades!
Sounds wonderful, and is a credit to the Apple crew who made the end Tone result a reality available to the masses. (No it’s not PERFECT but nothing is..)

And like all the reviews say, from a “smart speaker” perspective, Siri sucks.
WAY worse than any of my other “Siri” enabled Apple gear I’ve ever owned.
Truly awful!
How could Apples “Siri” get any worse than it already was?
The HomePod achieves this! And it’s laughable!

But the biggest .. HUGEST letdown for me is how tiny this speaker performs in a general living room sense considering all the glowing “professional” reviews about how it “fills the room with full sound”.. (unfortunately that also includes iMore reviews)
I’d love me some of what they are smokin’ to make HUGE (bogus) claims like that! ROFLMAO!

I live in a caravan, and one little HomePod doesn’t even go vaguely close to “filling” even this tiny area.
I’d need at least 2 or 3 to be close to bare minimum coverage.

But the positive is the single HomePod I currently have is absolutely the nicest “sounding” speaker I’ve ever owned. (Although I wouldn’t go as far as claiming “retina for your ears”)

I just need to spend another $1000+ AU to fill my tiny caravan.
Those of you with a small to medium sized living room will need to spend Much more to get True Full coverage...unless you are not really discerning listeners...

So is the HomePod worth $349 USD ($499 AU) to me?
TONE wise, Yes!
Area coverage, not even close!

And as far as being usable for a speaker for my Apple TV/Netflix audio it’s mostly useless volume wise.
We need to plug it into an extension power lead, move it right next to us, pump it to maximum volume, and it’s still barely adequate.
In fact in this situation it is pathetic!

In summary, I’m torn.
I’ve never owned a nicer sounding speaker than my HomePod.
But it doesn’t tick all the boxes for what home speaker/speakers needs to do which means I’ve needed to ADD it to my old speaker system instead of replacing it.

So NO it’s Not worth the $ overall..in any currency.

YMMV

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m currently streaming talk radio to my HomePod via the iHeart Radio app on my iPhone X, and the sound is clear and full, in my opinion.

iBloke

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I’m currently streaming talk radio to my HomePod via the iHeart Radio app on my iPhone X, and the sound is clear and full, in my opinion.

Talk radio doesn’t really require much from an audio perspective. Only needs to offer clear, clean voice.

Music is a whole other thing.

Swapping back and forth in real time between a teensy weeny HomePod and my old speakers shows just how “small” HomePod sounds.

Yes it’s crystal clear. Amazingly so..

But in comparison to my other speakers I can only describe HomePod as boxy, thin, and 1 dimensional.

I think I need to set up a couple of stereo microphones to record the massive differences switching back and forth multiple times during the same song. (I’ll do this soon)

Although posting this kind of audio would require listeners to use stereo headphones to appreciate the massive difference as Mac/PC, iPhone, and iPad speakers would be inadequate.

It really is night and day

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 high quality speaker systems in different rooms of my house. They all sound considerably better than the HomePod.

But....99% of my music listening is on my 2 HomePods. Super super easy to use, sounds the same anywhere in the room and brings pure joy to our house. My wife listens to it every day and she never used the other speaker systems for airplay from Apple devices.

For me, this is the product I’ve been waiting for. A high quality speaker with reliable airplay, made easier with Apple Music,and Siri HomeKit does everything I used to ask Alexa for before I sold my Echo.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Talk radio doesn’t really require much from an audio perspective. Only needs to offer clear, clean voice.

Music is a whole other thing.

Swapping back and forth in real time between a teensy weeny HomePod and my old speakers shows just how “small” HomePod sounds.

Yes it’s crystal clear. Amazingly so..

But in comparison to my other speakers I can only describe HomePod as boxy, thin, and 1 dimensional.

I think I need to set up a couple of stereo microphones to record the massive differences switching back and forth multiple times during the same song. (I’ll do this soon)

Although posting this kind of audio would require listeners to use stereo headphones to appreciate the massive difference as Mac/PC, iPhone, and iPad speakers would be inadequate.

It really is night and day

The HomePod, for what it is, sounds great, in my opinion. It is a smart speaker with an emphasis on audio. It is not a replacement for dedicated speakers connected to a stereo receiver. It is not intended for those who listen to music at a level that could wake the dead. It is a single smart speaker with awesome sound for its size that users can easily and quickly access and listen to music via Music or streamed from their Apple devices via AirPlay. I listen to my HomePod almost every day, and I use Siri in the same manner I use my iPhone. Love it!

Last edited:

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
This product the HomePod without a doubt or second thought is clearly not designed to be in-play as the top smart-home-integrated speaker. People seem to think it's supposed to be this home-control-centric-hub to flash your lights, turn on your toaster, massage your feet and bring you a Latte. That's where Alexa and Google want to be, Apple said (in my opionion.. "if you want that #$#@# get an echo dot on sale for $25", we're going for luxury sound.)

With Siri, some of these features may work through Apple-Home (except massage your feet .. maybe?) It's clearly designated to be an amazing audio experience that also has some integrated Siri features. Siri is vastly improved here for "hearing you" and understanding your music needs. Not to be a home robot. The ability for Siri to hear you is unreal. I can have booming music and from across the room in a normal voice say "Hey Siri play ______" and it works.

The sound experience is like nothing I have ever heard in a sub 1.5K setup, let alone in a stand-alone speaker.

Simply put, if you want a home connected hub that has better access to your calendar or shopping list, go elsewhere. If you want sounds that will bring back memories of your youth, bring tears to your eyes.. you have found it.

Some of the others online that complain, are the same that would complain if you gave them a Ferrari and they would complain about the lack of trunk space.

I have found a way for it to massage my feet. Turn it on its side. Put on a track with insane bass. Roll your feet over it back and forth while playing that track. My feet haven't felt better.

iBloke

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The HonePod, for what it is, sounds great, in my opinion. It is a smart speaker with an emphasis on audio. It is not a replacement for dedicated speakers connected to a stereo receiver. It is not intended for those who listen to music at a level that could wake the dead...

Thanks for your reply JMD

Yes it is a “smart” speaker (Although not as smart as my other Siri enabled products) with an emphasis on audio.
And it delivers Quality audio “TONE” in spades. (Google “Tone”)

In my decades, and multiple 1000’s of gigs as a professional live sound engineer, I can’t remember a time I was more impressed at a single speaker’s tone (in general) than with my HomePod!
Tone wise HomePod is a revelation!!

..more to come due to censorship/word limits here..

Last edited:

iBloke

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
..Continued due to censorship or word limits per post..

I went into my very expensive ($499 AU) HomePod ownership with a completely open mind, being Apple tech entrenched, and with EXPANDABILITY also in mind.

After all, $499 AU is a huge amount of money for a disabled person on a pension, but I’ve learned over my 56 years to buy quality Once, and to never need to waste money and time trying other stuff.

I’ve trusted Apple since 2008.... until HomePod..
NEVER felt letdown since (multiple various iPods, 2 MacBooks, 7 iPhones, 4 iPads, Apple TV, Watch, airport express, etc, etc.. and that does not include the MANY other Apple products my family bought after seeing how happy I was with mine)
I Love how all my Apple gear works together .. MOST of the time, and I’ll Never change brands because of this

I live nearly 100km (60 miles) from my closest Apple store and recently had the opportunity to go in and try to buy my second HomePod..

To TRY and buy one..

Last edited:

iBloke

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Continued...

I now know first hand I’ll personally NEED a bare minimum of 2 to go vaguely close to covering the area I have in a full audio spectrum way. (Small caravan 2.4 metres wide x nearly 7 metres long..7.87 feet x 22.97 feet)
I’ve been told many times by professional musicians that my ears are “golden” .. although this always makes me a bit embarrassed lol..

So I turned 56 recently and am cashed up enough from family monetary gifts to buy a second HomePod.
Entering local/closest Apple store, and get told it’s impossible for me to play audio from my iPhone/iPads to more than ONE HomePod simultaneously....without AirPlay 2...which will arrive “sometime in the next few months, but Apple doesn’t tell us enough to give a definitive answer”...LOL “geniuses” indeed ....

WTF?

Yes, I know AirPlay 2 is required for true stereo separation, and I’m cool with that for now, until iOS AirPlay 2 is finally..FINALLY, released to the Apple buying public..

But to NOT be able to AirPlay in basic mono, from iOS, the same song to a pair of HomePod’s at the same time right now is mind numbing!! (Yes I know there are third party iOS apps that allow me to do this but they are limited by DRM restrictions. Whaale multiroom player for example)
This is the exact information given to me by several Apple “geniuses” in store after nearly an hour of them google searching (the “Apple geniuses” didn’t even know this until I pushed them..)
And real time, in store trials in front of me trying to play to multiple HomePod’s, except from a MacBook.

WOW!

iBloke

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Continued..

I had $500 cash in my pocket, and specifically wanted to buy my second HomePod.

I left the Apple store empty handed...and very disillusioned that Apple has brought a new product to market without the required software to have it work in multiples..

Am I the only person here who needs, or wants more than one tiny little HomePod to play music from my iStuff to?

But simply can’t buy one due to the restrictions placed by Apple themselves?

If I ran a business I would want to get my products into as many hands/homes as possible!
Right?

HomePod, a beautiful sounding speaker.
The best I’ve ever heard!
I want more HomePods!
Can’t buy them because the second/third/etc is Useless without the required AirPlay 2 software.....which STILL doesn’t exist nearly 6 weeks after the HomePods public release..

...so unfortunately I’ve been forced by Apple to go back to using my archaic old speaker system until they eventually release the bare minimum required software to run their HomePod in, at the very least, a simple stereo scenario.

$499 AU HomePod sitting idle on the shelf..until?
Cash for a second HomePod purchase but unable to buy one due to Apples self imposed restrictions..

So if you are sitting on the fence as to whether HomePod is worth whatever your countries $ amount, I would say WAIT!

HomePod is a Grossly unfinished product right now.
Not only from an expandable speaker system perspective, but also from a SMART speaker perspective.
Siri on HomePod just doesn’t even go close to “cutting it” compared directly to MY iPhones, iPads, and Watch which for the most part work flawlessly..mostly..

Save your money for now.
Wait until AirPlay 2 is public.
Wait until HomePod Siri is upgraded to at least basic iPhone levels of competence.
I’m confident these things WILL happen in the future.
But right now the hardware Apple call HomePod is barely what I would call a “beta” product!

This is my educated conclusion after nearly 6 weeks of ownership, using HomePod for various audio requirements nearly 24 hours a day since purchase, being an Exclusive Apple user since 2008 (yeah ok fan boy lol), and being a professional sound engineer most of my working life.

HomePod was the soul reason I finally subscribed to Apple Music, and I’m loving it!

I’ve sent several “HomePod feedback” emails to Apple in regards to my firsthand observations..so it’s not like I’m just “having a sook” here on iMore.
I want this potentially wonderful product to succeed and grow.

I hope Apple never slap me in the face again in the future with a half finished product like HomePod.
Fingers crossed..

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Continued..

I had $500 cash in my pocket, and specifically wanted to buy my second HomePod.

I left the Apple store empty handed...and very disillusioned that Apple has brought a new product to market without the required software to have it work in multiples..

Am I the only person here who needs, or wants more than one tiny little HomePod to play music from my iStuff to?

But simply can’t buy one due to the restrictions placed by Apple themselves?

If I ran a business I would want to get my products into as many hands/homes as possible!
Right?

HomePod, a beautiful sounding speaker.
The best I’ve ever heard!
I want more HomePods!
Can’t buy them because the second/third/etc is Useless without the required AirPlay 2 software.....which STILL doesn’t exist nearly 6 weeks after the HomePods public release..

...so unfortunately I’ve been forced by Apple to go back to using my archaic old speaker system until they eventually release the bare minimum required software to run their HomePod in, at the very least, a simple stereo scenario.

$499 AU HomePod sitting idle on the shelf..until?
Cash for a second HomePod purchase but unable to buy one due to Apples self imposed restrictions..

So if you are sitting on the fence as to whether HomePod is worth whatever your countries $ amount, I would say WAIT!

HomePod is a Grossly unfinished product right now.
Not only from an expandable speaker system perspective, but also from a SMART speaker perspective.
Siri on HomePod just doesn’t even go close to “cutting it” compared directly to MY iPhones, iPads, and Watch which for the most part work flawlessly..mostly..

Save your money for now.
Wait until AirPlay 2 is public.
Wait until HomePod Siri is upgraded to at least basic iPhone levels of competence.
I’m confident these things WILL happen in the future.
But right now the hardware Apple call HomePod is barely what I would call a “beta” product!

This is my educated conclusion after nearly 6 weeks of ownership, using HomePod for various audio requirements nearly 24 hours a day since purchase, being an Exclusive Apple user since 2008 (yeah ok fan boy lol), and being a professional sound engineer most of my working life.

HomePod was the soul reason I finally subscribed to Apple Music, and I’m loving it!

I’ve sent several “HomePod feedback” emails to Apple in regards to my firsthand observations..so it’s not like I’m just “having a sook” here on iMore.
I want this potentially wonderful product to succeed and grow.

I hope Apple never slap me in the face again in the future with a half finished product like HomePod.
Fingers crossed..

Dude, you were in a serious roll there!....What the heck!?....(Laughing)...I’m just messin’ with you. I turn 55 in about 60 days or so, and like you, I’ve learned to buy quality. The HomePod, to me, is a quality smart speaker, and although I don’t regret buying it, I still think it should be priced no higher than $279. Anyway, I appreciate reading your story and thank you for sharing. I have to head back to the office so take care and enjoy the rest of your day, sir.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've owned the HomePod for almost a month now and I do think that it's a bit overpriced. The sound is perfect, and I'd be fine with the price tag if Siri was smarter.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
$350 just seems like a steep price for a speaker that isn’t all that smart considering SoundBars exist and they offer stellar sound at a lesser price. I’m still struggling with justifying the cost. Figured I’d go listen to one at the local Apple store soon.

First of all a sound bar is unidirectional, can't be taken anywhere, and won't even sound close to as good as a homepod for only $350. If you think a $350 or less sound bar will sound even close to as good as a homepod you are objectively wrong.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods