Is the HomePod worth $349 USD to you?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys. Let’s keep the conversation respectful. Everyone is entitled to express his/her opinion but bickering is not cool.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No, it is not worth $350 to me. Maybe $175-$200 at most. Apple can afford the loss they’re going to take on these ‘cause I just can’t see the demand being all that high. Perhaps I’m mistaken.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
For some it is but it’s not for me. All my Bose speakers sync perfectly and sound amazing. I doubt if I’ll be replacing them anytime soon. Plus, I don’t have a need for Siri in a speaker. Siri on my iPhones & MacBook are the enemy...she only listens on my Apple TV remote lol

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Absolutely not, I can use my bose with hey Siri and “listen to music”. I have a big feeling this is going to flop because people are going to expect it to compete with GA and Alexa when it just can’t unfortunately.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Way too expensive especially since Alexa is better than Siri at this point. I think Amazon has cornered the market with Alexa.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry folks, it's a game changer. Once you have it set up and working, and you experience the sound, one cannot go back. At least I can't. Off to pick up a 2nd one for my living room.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry folks, it's a game changer. Once you have it set up and working, and you experience the sound, one cannot go back. At least I can't. Off to pick up a 2nd one for my living room.

First of all thanks for answering my questions in the other thread. Would you say that the HomePod is not designed to compete with Google or Amazon? This seems 100% geared towards music. So it’s competing with the high end speakers on the market right?

If that’s the case then it’s probably not over priced and arguably more useful, assuming you are an iPhone and Apple Music user. Sound about right in your opinion?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
First of all thanks for answering my questions in the other thread. Would you say that the HomePod is not designed to compete with Google or Amazon? This seems 100% geared towards music. So it’s competing with the high-end speakers on the market right?

If that’s the case then it’s probably not overpriced and arguably more useful, assuming you are an iPhone and Apple Music user. Sound about right in your opinion?

This product the HomePod without a doubt or second thought is clearly not designed to be in-play as the top smart-home-integrated speaker. People seem to think it's supposed to be this home-control-centric-hub to flash your lights, turn on your toaster, massage your feet and bring you a Latte. That's where Alexa and Google want to be, Apple said (in my opionion.. "if you want that #$#@# get an echo dot on sale for $25", we're going for luxury sound.)

With Siri, some of these features may work through Apple-Home (except massage your feet .. maybe?) It's clearly designated to be an amazing audio experience that also has some integrated Siri features. Siri is vastly improved here for "hearing you" and understanding your music needs. Not to be a home robot. The ability for Siri to hear you is unreal. I can have booming music and from across the room in a normal voice say "Hey Siri play ______" and it works.

The sound experience is like nothing I have ever heard in a sub 1.5K setup, let alone in a stand-alone speaker.

Simply put, if you want a home connected hub that has better access to your calendar or shopping list, go elsewhere. If you want sounds that will bring back memories of your youth, bring tears to your eyes.. you have found it.

Some of the others online that complain, are the same that would complain if you gave them a Ferrari and they would complain about the lack of trunk space.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
When compared to what my Sonos system can do i don’t think it is worth it, for me anyway. The HomePod sounds great but it lacks in the midrange department and the bass at full volume is merely ok. I have to say that I have had many stereo systems (home and car). I like my volume loud and loud. The HomePod sounds great for what it is but at high to max volumes it can’t compare to something with a sound bar or standalone sub. The 4”sub in the HomePod does pretty good but I don’t like the sound of the midbass coming from it. Maybe it needs some breaking in but definitely lacking midbass when directly comparing the Sonos play 3 or play 5. I bet it will sound amazing with 2 or 3 or more homepods linked but that is $700, I can buy a Sonos playbar for that.

I have a pretty good a/v setup in my living room now, it blows away the HomePod and my Sonos but when it is time to upgrade I will be getting a Sonos playbar and sub. And one more play 3 for full surround. If Apple created a sound bar maybe I would consider it but until then Sonos reigns supreme in my home.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You can't really compare a stand-alone speaker, with a Quality Sound Bar, Sub Woofer and Surround Sound. It's an unfair comparison.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
This product the HomePod without a doubt or second thought is clearly not designed to be in-play as the top smart-home-integrated speaker. People seem to think it's supposed to be this home-control-centric-hub to flash your lights, turn on your toaster, massage your feet and bring you a Latte. That's where Alexa and Google want to be, Apple said (in my opionion.. "if you want that #$#@# get an echo dot on sale for $25", we're going for luxury sound.)

With Siri, some of these features may work through Apple-Home (except massage your feet .. maybe?) It's clearly designated to be an amazing audio experience that also has some integrated Siri features. Siri is vastly improved here for "hearing you" and understanding your music needs. Not to be a home robot. The ability for Siri to hear you is unreal. I can have booming music and from across the room in a normal voice say "Hey Siri play ______" and it works.

The sound experience is like nothing I have ever heard in a sub 1.5K setup, let alone in a stand-alone speaker.

Simply put, if you want a home connected hub that has better access to your calendar or shopping list, go elsewhere. If you want sounds that will bring back memories of your youth, bring tears to your eyes.. you have found it.

Some of the others online that complain, are the same that would complain if you gave them a Ferrari and they would complain about the lack of trunk space.

Well I strongly disagree.

It’s a smart speaker, of course it’s not going to be worth the price if your going to use it only as a Bluetooth speaker.

I’m using amazon since it’s out there and I would not have payed 200$ for the echo if I was not able to integrate it with my home automation system. Being able to turn on and off the lights, tv, adjust the temperature just with voice commands around the house is where it makes it worth the price tag.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Not to me. Having both Android and Apple devices, Siri has a long way to go to catch up with GA.

If I get a smart speaker, it will be one with GA on it. Machine learning, contextual comversation, easy handoff among devices even with the same place, sync among speakers, Google is far ahead at the moment.

More importantly, the ability to understand my Indian accent. Why spend $350 on a thing that cant understand what I say!!!

I have a friend with google smart speakers and I can say that I wouldn’t change my amazon with that, it’s no t working well at all. Regarding the HomePod i will have to try, I haven’t yet.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This thing sounds really good. Much better than I anticipated. Is it worth $349? I’m not really sure at this point. Good thing I have a 45 day return period on this(B.B. elite plus). I can test it for awhile.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Well I strongly disagree.

It’s a smart speaker, of course it’s not going to be worth the price if your going to use it only as a Bluetooth speaker.

I’m using amazon since it’s out there and I would not have payed 200$ for the echo if I was not able to integrate it with my home automation system. Being able to turn on and off the lights, tv, adjust the temperature just with voice commands around the house is where it makes it worth the price tag.
I strongly disagree.
I want my HomePod to play my playlists, using my voice commands.
I don’t need it to switch my lights on and off (but I think it could do that via HomeKit).
Sure I could ask Siri to set a reminder, or an alarm from time to time, but the primary use for my HomePod will be MUSIC.

And to have Amazon or Google microphones in my home is the last thing I want.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
This thing sounds really good. Much better than I anticipated. Is it worth $349? I’m not really sure at this point. Good thing I have a 45 day return period on this(B.B. elite plus). I can test it for awhile.

Wow 45 days remorse period !
For a full refund no question asked ?