Is the HomePod worth $349 USD to you?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Until I can see one for myself, I don’t know. I don’t trust reviews for the most part because many times it’s their own opinion and I may disagree.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Not to me. Having both Android and Apple devices, Siri has a long way to go to catch up with GA.

If I get a smart speaker, it will be one with GA on it. Machine learning, contextual comversation, easy handoff among devices even with the same place, sync among speakers, Google is far ahead at the moment.

More importantly, the ability to understand my Indian accent. Why spend $350 on a thing that cant understand what I say!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Until I can see one for myself, I don’t know. I don’t trust reviews for the most part because many times it’s their own opinion and I may disagree.

I hear ya, and that’s why I said that I would decide after I’ve played with one at a store when they hit the shelves.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My first thought was no, but I’m not going to write it off without trying it in person. I don’t have an echo or google whatever so this is still new territory for me.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I got it for $339, but I hope so.. will let you know after I pick it up on 2/9. I spend a lot of time in my office with music playing. Now I am using an Echo Dot to a BT speaker. Looking forward to the other aspects like clear voice calls over the Homepod, and have it read messages, add items to my reminders etc. I only treat myself with Apple iOS products, so for me it's a nice gift to myself.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Earlier in this thread I said no way was I going to get one if you didn’t integrate with iTunes match. However if the sound is fairly good and on par with other options I might be thinking about, it might make sense given that it might just be a software update down the road to allow iTunes match integration. But as others have said nothings coming home with me until I try it out in the store as best as possible

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Well, I’d like to give it a try before judge it. Apple products are no cheap, but in this case the price seems to be just right.

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
As of now, the $350 price tag is not worth it. I bought a wireless JBL speaker for around $150 and even that hasn’t been worth it. I rarely listen to music on it and have no desire to have a digital assistant. But I am curious to see what the 2nd or 3rd generation looks like.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
If it wasnt for Siri’s lack of development I would be mildly interested. The way that it stands though, the Homepod is simply for Music and the very few things siri can do.

Unfortunately for Apple, Sonos has priced a 2 pack of Sonos ones for the same price as the homepod.

2 excellent sounding speakers that offer more playback options in terms of streaming services and include Alexa. That makes it extremely foolish imo to even look at the Homepod if youre looking for a smart speaker.

For just music, I’ll stick with chromecasts and full range tower speakers combined with the sweet sweet sound of Velodyne subs.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a speaker already, so I have no need for one at the moment. If I wanted a wireless assistant, then I would probably get the Dot as its cheap.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a speaker already, so I have no need for one at the moment. If I wanted a wireless assistant, then I would probably get the Dot as its cheap.

I too have a wireless speaker, about 5 of them, I have two Echo Dots, and two Google Home devices. Alexa can't answer anything.. Google is a bit better, but the speakers are not great. One of my BT speakers are great, but it's BT and needs charging.

However integration with Siri and my phone is what I am looking for, and I can only get that with an Apple device. Plus the sound quality seems (per reviews) to be outstanding.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Nope not me. I dont have any always listening speakers in the house. We all have iPhones and if we want to ask Siri a question or listen to our music we just use our phones 😃

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Not to me, 100% happy using AirPods.
My wife on the other hand, thinks differently.
So I ordered up to surprise her.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Not to me, 100% happy using AirPods.
My wife on the other hand, thinks differently.
So I ordered up to surprise her.

That makes no sense, like saying ... No, I don't think the car is worthwhile because I have my moped.

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That makes no sense, like saying ... No, I don't think the car is worthwhile because I have my moped.

“Not to me”, but my wife feels different was my answer!!!! So, I made the purchase for her!

Really dude? Just because I commented happy staying small time with AirPods, was not comparison. *nuts*

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
“Not to me”, but my wife feels different was my answer!!!! So, I made the purchase for her!

Really dude? Just because I commented happy staying small time with AirPods, was not comparison. *nuts*

You can't compare... If you said "Sound does not matter to me, not into music whatever, that would make sense. But you can't compare dissimilar devices.

Or if you said, I am happy my Echo, I don't care about the sound difference, so I am not getting the homepod, that would make sense.

Airpods are in-ear devices, homepod is an external speaker. Because both allow sound does not make them the same product category.