Is the HomePod worth $349 USD to you?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry folks, it's a game changer. Once you have it set up and working, and you experience the sound, one cannot go back. At least I can't. Off to pick up a 2nd one for my living room.

I’m sure it’s nice, and I’m glad you love it! Most of the folks that I see saying no already have speakers in their home that they aren’t ready to replace. I haven’t heard anything bad about the HomePod, but I also don’t think it’s worth the price, for me. I have Bose speakers at home and if I did need another speaker, I’d just buy another SoundTouch for $199. Choices are a good thing and the HomePod will be amazing for a lot of people. Right now, I’m just not one of them.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I strongly disagree.
I want my HomePod to play my playlists, using my voice commands.
I don’t need it to switch my lights on and off (but I think it could do that via HomeKit).
Sure I could ask Siri to set a reminder, or an alarm from time to time, but the primary use for my HomePod will be MUSIC.

And to have Amazon or Google microphones in my home is the last thing I want.

Of course the primary use will be music, it’s a speaker ;)
I was just pointing out that you can’t put it in the same category as a regular Bluetooth speaker when you compare price.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
You can't really compare a stand-alone speaker, with a Quality Sound Bar, Sub Woofer and Surround Sound. It's an unfair comparison.

I agree and was merely referring to the standalone systems as I benchmark. I have to have loud volume and thunderous bass. You can’t get that from one HomePod or a sonos play 3 or 5 alone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Here are my thoughts after 24 hours. It's a very expensive speaker. Good sounding but for $350, I'd like more base. I have an $150 samsung sound bar that I play apple music through from my Apple TV that just straight out sends better. Outside of a speaker, Siri isn't too impressive on this. I'm likley to return the HomePod in the next few days. Just not seeing the value in this for the cost.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are my thoughts after 24 hours. It's a very expensive speaker. Good sounding but for $350, I'd like more base. I have an $150 samsung sound bar that I play apple music through from my Apple TV that just straight out sends better. Outside of a speaker, Siri isn't too impressive on this. I'm likley to return the HomePod in the next few days. Just not seeing the value in this for the cost.

$350 just seems like a steep price for a speaker that isn’t all that smart considering SoundBars exist and they offer stellar sound at a lesser price. I’m still struggling with justifying the cost. Figured I’d go listen to one at the local Apple store soon.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
OK- so I said I wasn't going to get one- then went into the Apple Store (First Mistake) and listened to it... Needless to say I walked out with a space grey one... The sound is incredible.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
$350 just seems like a steep price for a speaker that isn’t all that smart considering SoundBars exist and they offer stellar sound at a lesser price. I’m still struggling with justifying the cost. Figured I’d go listen to one at the local Apple store soon.

When I can sit at my desk and say "Hey Soundbar play Madman Across The Water by Elton John, live in Australia" then I will consider it. I already have sound bars on my TV, but I don't put this in the same category.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
When I can sit at my desk and say "Hey Soundbar play Madman Across The Water by Elton John, live in Australia" then I will consider it. I already have sound bars on my TV, but I don't put this in the same category.

Well you can. If the soundbar is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth you can do exactly that. I do it when my headphones connected via Bluetooth. Or in the car.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well you can. If the soundbar is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth you can do exactly that. I do it when my headphones connected via Bluetooth. Or in the car.

That does not sound like something I would want to do.. I would not want to be sure my phone is with me 100% of the time if I want to listen to music.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
That does not sound like something I would want to do.. I would not want to be sure my phone is with me 100% of the time if I want to listen to music.

Your phone isn’t always with you at your desk? Your response sounds like you’re reaching for an issue with the soundbar solution. And considering Bose offers a bluetooth soundbar solution for $250, $100 less, I see no issue going that route if my only sacrifice is having my phone nearby. Bottom line is it is possible to do exactly as you mentioned. I personally would much rather control my music from my device. It’s far more convenient for me.

Like I said I’m struggling to justify the cost but that’s for ME. If you can justify it for you, great. Far to limited in its capabilities for me to shell $350 out at this time.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Your phone isn’t always with you at your desk? Your response sounds like you’re reaching for an issue with the soundbar solution. And considering Bose offers a bluetooth soundbar solution for $250, $100 less, I see no issue going that route if my only sacrifice is having my phone nearby. Bottom line is it is possible to do exactly as you mentioned. I personally would much rather control my music from my device. It’s far more convenient for me.

Like I said I’m struggling to justify the cost but that’s for ME. If you can justify it for you, great. Far to limited in its capabilities for me to shell $350 out at this time.

I don't always have my phone room to room. I don't like controlling my music from my phone, would rather use voice. Been doing it with Alexa and Hello Google, and even when my phone is connected to a BT speaker with Hey Siri. But still w/o having to pick up my phone, and with the exception of my phone to BT, my phone not needing to be in range.

Add to that sometimes my phone is in the bedroom, my office, etc.. and when I am just resting I like to say "Siri please play" and then -- playlist.

Finally, none of my soundbars sound as good as the Homepod.

jgibson2400

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm torn, I do like the sound quality which is outstanding but everything else about it is meh.

My original plan was to get a second one and run them paired when that functionality is released but now I'm having second thoughts wondering if a Sonos Play 3 + a pair of Sonos Ones might ultimately sound almost as good and give me vastly superior functionality (with option of line in to plug in a fully functional Google Home Mini or Amazon Echo Dot)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK- so I said I wasn't going to get one- then went into the Apple Store (First Mistake) and listened to it... Needless to say I walked out with a space grey one... The sound is incredible.

Congratulations on getting your new HomePod. How does it sound in your home? Does it fill the room as advertised?

emanwis

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely worth it to me. The sound quality is awesome. Voice recognition is flawless for me. I am very happy with mine.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

So this is the key $350 feature to having it? Sitting at your desk and being able to say that?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So this is the key $350 feature to having it? Sitting at your desk and being able to say that?

Boy you're really hung up on the $350... no the key to the device is the sound quality and being able to control it with voice commands. I get calls and interruptions all day, it's worth it to say "hey siri pause music" I use many siri commands with the home pod I can't with a BT speaker. I like the ability to pick and choose songs with a voice command and yes, the little cost difference between that and a sound bar is not an issue.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Once it can understand multiple people so my family can all have their own assistant then it will be worth it to me.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I didn’t think it was worth it, but I am not so sure now. It is built well so looks like it will last a long while. The HomePod only goes so loud so I don’t see blowing any of the speakers unless I hooked up a set of jumper cables to something in there to intentionally try to blow it. The sound quality is very good even if it is lacking a little in the midbass. I am thinking real hard about keeping mine even though I have a bunch of sonos speakers. My wife asked me if I have a speaker fetish problem, last night. It might be worth the money. I haven’t decided yet.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems like it’s like any other product as far as if it’s worth it or not. What are your expectations, needs and use case? That is going to be different for everyone. I’m not sure it’s worth it still but I may have to pick one up from Best Buy and give it a hands on to see if it fits into our family. I really do want to hear how it sounds in the home.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR