First of all thanks for answering my questions in the other thread. Would you say that the HomePod is not designed to compete with Google or Amazon? This seems 100% geared towards music. So it’s competing with the high-end speakers on the market right?

If that’s the case then it’s probably not overpriced and arguably more useful, assuming you are an iPhone and Apple Music user. Sound about right in your opinion?
    This product the HomePod without a doubt or second thought is clearly not designed to be in-play as the top smart-home-integrated speaker. People seem to think it's supposed to be this home-control-centric-hub to flash your lights, turn on your toaster, massage your feet and bring you a Latte. That's where Alexa and Google want to be, Apple said (in my opionion.. "if you want that #$#@# get an echo dot on sale for $25", we're going for luxury sound.)

With Siri, some of these features may work through Apple-Home (except massage your feet .. maybe?) It's clearly designated to be an amazing audio experience that also has some integrated Siri features. Siri is vastly improved here for "hearing you" and understanding your music needs. Not to be a home robot. The ability for Siri to hear you is unreal. I can have booming music and from across the room in a normal voice say "Hey Siri play ______" and it works.

The sound experience is like nothing I have ever heard in a sub 1.5K setup, let alone in a stand-alone speaker.

Simply put, if you want a home connected hub that has better access to your calendar or shopping list, go elsewhere. If you want sounds that will bring back memories of your youth, bring tears to your eyes.. you have found it.

Some of the others online that complain, are the same that would complain if you gave them a Ferrari and they would complain about the lack of trunk space.
    MaxSmarties and iBloke like this.
    02-10-2018 12:52 PM
    When compared to what my Sonos system can do i don’t think it is worth it, for me anyway. The HomePod sounds great but it lacks in the midrange department and the bass at full volume is merely ok. I have to say that I have had many stereo systems (home and car). I like my volume loud and loud. The HomePod sounds great for what it is but at high to max volumes it can’t compare to something with a sound bar or standalone sub. The 4”sub in the HomePod does pretty good but I don’t like the sound of the midbass coming from it. Maybe it needs some breaking in but definitely lacking midbass when directly comparing the Sonos play 3 or play 5. I bet it will sound amazing with 2 or 3 or more homepods linked but that is $700, I can buy a Sonos playbar for that.

I have a pretty good a/v setup in my living room now, it blows away the HomePod and my Sonos but when it is time to upgrade I will be getting a Sonos playbar and sub. And one more play 3 for full surround. If Apple created a sound bar maybe I would consider it but until then Sonos reigns supreme in my home.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-10-2018 12:55 PM
    You can't really compare a stand-alone speaker, with a Quality Sound Bar, Sub Woofer and Surround Sound. It's an unfair comparison.
    MaxSmarties and iBloke like this.
    02-10-2018 01:54 PM
    This product the HomePod without a doubt or second thought is clearly not designed to be in-play as the top smart-home-integrated speaker. People seem to think it's supposed to be this home-control-centric-hub to flash your lights, turn on your toaster, massage your feet and bring you a Latte. That's where Alexa and Google want to be, Apple said (in my opionion.. "if you want that #$#@# get an echo dot on sale for $25", we're going for luxury sound.)

With Siri, some of these features may work through Apple-Home (except massage your feet .. maybe?) It's clearly designated to be an amazing audio experience that also has some integrated Siri features. Siri is vastly improved here for "hearing you" and understanding your music needs. Not to be a home robot. The ability for Siri to hear you is unreal. I can have booming music and from across the room in a normal voice say "Hey Siri play ______" and it works.

The sound experience is like nothing I have ever heard in a sub 1.5K setup, let alone in a stand-alone speaker.

Simply put, if you want a home connected hub that has better access to your calendar or shopping list, go elsewhere. If you want sounds that will bring back memories of your youth, bring tears to your eyes.. you have found it.

Some of the others online that complain, are the same that would complain if you gave them a Ferrari and they would complain about the lack of trunk space.
    Well I strongly disagree.

It’s a smart speaker, of course it’s not going to be worth the price if your going to use it only as a Bluetooth speaker.

I’m using amazon since it’s out there and I would not have payed 200$ for the echo if I was not able to integrate it with my home automation system. Being able to turn on and off the lights, tv, adjust the temperature just with voice commands around the house is where it makes it worth the price tag.
    02-10-2018 03:41 PM
    Not to me. Having both Android and Apple devices, Siri has a long way to go to catch up with GA.

If I get a smart speaker, it will be one with GA on it. Machine learning, contextual comversation, easy handoff among devices even with the same place, sync among speakers, Google is far ahead at the moment.

More importantly, the ability to understand my Indian accent. Why spend $350 on a thing that cant understand what I say!!!
    I have a friend with google smart speakers and I can say that I wouldn’t change my amazon with that, it’s no t working well at all. Regarding the HomePod i will have to try, I haven’t yet.
    02-10-2018 03:46 PM
    This thing sounds really good. Much better than I anticipated. Is it worth $349? I’m not really sure at this point. Good thing I have a 45 day return period on this(B.B. elite plus). I can test it for awhile.
    02-10-2018 04:06 PM
    Well I strongly disagree.

It’s a smart speaker, of course it’s not going to be worth the price if your going to use it only as a Bluetooth speaker.

I’m using amazon since it’s out there and I would not have payed 200$ for the echo if I was not able to integrate it with my home automation system. Being able to turn on and off the lights, tv, adjust the temperature just with voice commands around the house is where it makes it worth the price tag.
    I strongly disagree.
    I want my HomePod to play my playlists, using my voice commands.
    I don’t need it to switch my lights on and off (but I think it could do that via HomeKit).
    Sure I could ask Siri to set a reminder, or an alarm from time to time, but the primary use for my HomePod will be MUSIC.

And to have Amazon or Google microphones in my home is the last thing I want.
    iBloke likes this.
    02-10-2018 05:35 PM
    This thing sounds really good. Much better than I anticipated. Is it worth $349? I’m not really sure at this point. Good thing I have a 45 day return period on this(B.B. elite plus). I can test it for awhile.
    Wow 45 days remorse period !
    For a full refund no question asked ?
    02-10-2018 05:37 PM
    Wow 45 days remorse period !
    For a full refund no question asked ?
    Yes because I’m Best Buy elite plus on my rewards account. 45 days full refunds.
    02-10-2018 05:40 PM
    The audiophile in me is skeptical. I guess psychoacoustics could be getting better.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-10-2018 06:08 PM
    Sorry folks, it's a game changer. Once you have it set up and working, and you experience the sound, one cannot go back. At least I can't. Off to pick up a 2nd one for my living room.
    I’m sure it’s nice, and I’m glad you love it! Most of the folks that I see saying no already have speakers in their home that they aren’t ready to replace. I haven’t heard anything bad about the HomePod, but I also don’t think it’s worth the price, for me. I have Bose speakers at home and if I did need another speaker, I’d just buy another SoundTouch for $199. Choices are a good thing and the HomePod will be amazing for a lot of people. Right now, I’m just not one of them.
    02-10-2018 08:28 PM
    I strongly disagree.
    I want my HomePod to play my playlists, using my voice commands.
    I don’t need it to switch my lights on and off (but I think it could do that via HomeKit).
    Sure I could ask Siri to set a reminder, or an alarm from time to time, but the primary use for my HomePod will be MUSIC.

And to have Amazon or Google microphones in my home is the last thing I want.
    Of course the primary use will be music, it’s a speaker
    I was just pointing out that you can’t put it in the same category as a regular Bluetooth speaker when you compare price.
    02-10-2018 09:30 PM
    You can't really compare a stand-alone speaker, with a Quality Sound Bar, Sub Woofer and Surround Sound. It's an unfair comparison.
    I agree and was merely referring to the standalone systems as I benchmark. I have to have loud volume and thunderous bass. You can’t get that from one HomePod or a sonos play 3 or 5 alone.
    02-10-2018 09:50 PM
    Here are my thoughts after 24 hours. It's a very expensive speaker. Good sounding but for $350, I'd like more base. I have an $150 samsung sound bar that I play apple music through from my Apple TV that just straight out sends better. Outside of a speaker, Siri isn't too impressive on this. I'm likley to return the HomePod in the next few days. Just not seeing the value in this for the cost.
    tadpoles and itsnotmeitsyou like this.
    02-10-2018 10:45 PM
    Here are my thoughts after 24 hours. It's a very expensive speaker. Good sounding but for $350, I'd like more base. I have an $150 samsung sound bar that I play apple music through from my Apple TV that just straight out sends better. Outside of a speaker, Siri isn't too impressive on this. I'm likley to return the HomePod in the next few days. Just not seeing the value in this for the cost.
    $350 just seems like a steep price for a speaker that isn’t all that smart considering SoundBars exist and they offer stellar sound at a lesser price. I’m still struggling with justifying the cost. Figured I’d go listen to one at the local Apple store soon.
    02-10-2018 11:49 PM
    OK- so I said I wasn't going to get one- then went into the Apple Store (First Mistake) and listened to it... Needless to say I walked out with a space grey one... The sound is incredible.
    MasterDarque, Craig and Just_Me_D like this.
    02-12-2018 04:57 PM
    $350 just seems like a steep price for a speaker that isn’t all that smart considering SoundBars exist and they offer stellar sound at a lesser price. I’m still struggling with justifying the cost. Figured I’d go listen to one at the local Apple store soon.
    When I can sit at my desk and say "Hey Soundbar play Madman Across The Water by Elton John, live in Australia" then I will consider it. I already have sound bars on my TV, but I don't put this in the same category.
    02-12-2018 07:14 PM
    When I can sit at my desk and say "Hey Soundbar play Madman Across The Water by Elton John, live in Australia" then I will consider it. I already have sound bars on my TV, but I don't put this in the same category.
    Well you can. If the soundbar is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth you can do exactly that. I do it when my headphones connected via Bluetooth. Or in the car.
    02-12-2018 07:18 PM
    Well you can. If the soundbar is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth you can do exactly that. I do it when my headphones connected via Bluetooth. Or in the car.
    That does not sound like something I would want to do.. I would not want to be sure my phone is with me 100% of the time if I want to listen to music.
    MaxSmarties likes this.
    02-12-2018 07:24 PM
    That does not sound like something I would want to do.. I would not want to be sure my phone is with me 100% of the time if I want to listen to music.
    Your phone isn’t always with you at your desk? Your response sounds like you’re reaching for an issue with the soundbar solution. And considering Bose offers a bluetooth soundbar solution for $250, $100 less, I see no issue going that route if my only sacrifice is having my phone nearby. Bottom line is it is possible to do exactly as you mentioned. I personally would much rather control my music from my device. It’s far more convenient for me.

Like I said I’m struggling to justify the cost but that’s for ME. If you can justify it for you, great. Far to limited in its capabilities for me to shell $350 out at this time.
    krishnansasikumar likes this.
    02-12-2018 07:35 PM
    Your phone isn’t always with you at your desk? Your response sounds like you’re reaching for an issue with the soundbar solution. And considering Bose offers a bluetooth soundbar solution for $250, $100 less, I see no issue going that route if my only sacrifice is having my phone nearby. Bottom line is it is possible to do exactly as you mentioned. I personally would much rather control my music from my device. It’s far more convenient for me.

Like I said I’m struggling to justify the cost but that’s for ME. If you can justify it for you, great. Far to limited in its capabilities for me to shell $350 out at this time.

I don't always have my phone room to room. I don't like controlling my music from my phone, would rather use voice. Been doing it with Alexa and Hello Google, and even when my phone is connected to a BT speaker with Hey Siri. But still w/o having to pick up my phone, and with the exception of my phone to BT, my phone not needing to be in range.

Add to that sometimes my phone is in the bedroom, my office, etc.. and when I am just resting I like to say "Siri please play" and then -- playlist.

Finally, none of my soundbars sound as good as the Homepod.
    02-12-2018 07:52 PM
    I'm torn, I do like the sound quality which is outstanding but everything else about it is meh.

My original plan was to get a second one and run them paired when that functionality is released but now I'm having second thoughts wondering if a Sonos Play 3 + a pair of Sonos Ones might ultimately sound almost as good and give me vastly superior functionality (with option of line in to plug in a fully functional Google Home Mini or Amazon Echo Dot)
    02-12-2018 08:08 PM
    OK- so I said I wasn't going to get one- then went into the Apple Store (First Mistake) and listened to it... Needless to say I walked out with a space grey one... The sound is incredible.
    Congratulations on getting your new HomePod. How does it sound in your home? Does it fill the room as advertised?
    02-12-2018 08:18 PM
    Congratulations on getting your new HomePod. How does it sound in your home? Does it fill the room as advertised?
    It really does. I have it in my living room which is open to dining room and it fills both.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-12-2018 09:35 PM
    Absolutely worth it to me. The sound quality is awesome. Voice recognition is flawless for me. I am very happy with mine.
    02-13-2018 02:00 PM
84 1234