HomePods vs Sonos

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Speaking strictly on home audio - how do you think the HomePod is going to stack up against the likes of Sonos and other connected home audio solutions?

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think if you have a vast Sonos setup, you're best holding off before buying anything. Alexa integration is around the corner and maybe Sonos will participate in Homekit.

That being said, if you don't have anything, I think it depends how you want to use the system. If you want multiple rooms or to build a home theater wirelessly, obviously go Sonos. If you want one speaker for one room, go HomePod. If you want a competitive price, go Echo.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I'm going to hold on. Too much Sonos around here - and honestly - still love them. Use them every day, and they work flawlessly. The app is amazing too.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it comes down to a three way fight. Amazon Echo, Google Home, and now Apple's HomePod. I don't see this as being a area where there is a clear winner or "best" product, but more of what "ecosystem" the consumers has bought into. I do believe The HomePod will be a premium product, with a premium price not unlike most of Apple's offerings. While Sonos, Bose, and their ilk have their own niche to provide to. None of them are competing to become your homes "Digital Assistant"...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
@Not Quite Right - is this an opportunity for Sonos to enter the battle though? 'HEY SONOS...' :)

They already have a huge install base.
Anythings possible. I'm willing to bet though that if you polled average consumers what their impressions of Sonos was, their response would be "What is that"? While polling the same group what they thought of having "Alexa or Siri" in your home, they would know exactly what your talking about and you would get a response.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
@Not Quite Right - is this an opportunity for Sonos to enter the battle though? 'HEY SONOS...' :)

They already have a huge install base.

Sonos's best bet is to integrate Alexa and Google Now and position themselves as an accessory for an Echo or Google home. If I'm Sonos, I want to be the feature third party partner at the next Pixel Launch with Google Home updates and I want Amazon pushing me as an obvious addition to the Echo Dot.

Anythings possible. I'm willing to bet though that if you polled average consumers what their impressions of Sonos was, their response would be "What is that"? While polling the same group what they thought of having "Alexa or Siri" in your home, they would know exactly what your talking about and you would get a response.
This is probably somewhat true. Sonos needs a bigger market push for sure. I'm thinking that comes through Amazon/Google partnerships.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I have two Sonos speakers that work well. The fact that the HomePod is Apple Music only is a deal-breaker.

Also, when Apple talked about sharing audio with AirPlay speakers, they left out Sonos which really pissed me off. I understand why, from a business perspective, but I am less inclined to buy HomePod as Apple is trying to gain a competitive advantage by locking Sonos out, instead of competing on the merits of the device.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Sonos's best bet is to integrate Alexa and Google Now and position themselves as an accessory for an Echo or Google home. If I'm Sonos, I want to be the feature third party partner at the next Pixel Launch with Google Home updates and I want Amazon pushing me as an obvious addition to the Echo Dot.

This is probably somewhat true. Sonos needs a bigger market push for sure. I'm thinking that comes through Amazon/Google partnerships.

Apple and Sonos have similar philosophies. I don't see how they partner up with Google but they might. Apple clearly took a shot at them with the photos of Sonos and Alexa and talking about the shortcomings of each. I think Sonos should keep pushing third party integrations

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the bass sounds better on the HomePod but the mids are better and the highs are as good on my Sonos play 5 as well as being louder overall but the HomePod bests my play 3 in all categories except maybe full volume and midbass.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This seems like the thread to point out that Phil Nickinson (ModernDad) says the HomePod sounds better than Sonos Play: 3. I find that interesting enough to look further into the HomePod.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Well... the thread was started when HomePod was announced. Today we already know HomePod is better than Sonos

As an overall statement I disagree. Maybe just HomePod vs Sonos one or play3 yes but Sonos is in a category all it’s own. I have several sonos speakers and now the one HomePod I am not biased. The HomePod does have better bass but that may be the only edge I will give to the HomePod from a sound quality standpoint.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
As an overall statement I disagree. Maybe just HomePod vs Sonos one or play3 yes but Sonos is in a category all it’s own. I have several sonos speakers and now the one HomePod I am not biased. The HomePod does have better bass but that may be the only edge I will give to the HomePod from a sound quality standpoint.

Thats the majority of reviews Ive read as well. Do you think 2 sonos ones are the better value to one HomePod since its the same cost?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I don’t know yet. My brother in law has two sonos ones. After I compare the HomePod to my sonos one for a few days I will send it over to his house to compare to the 2 ones in stereo. That will be the true comparison IMO, same pricepoint.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
They are so different. The HomePod has very good low end bass but the sonos has the rockin midbass. I wish I had the gen 2 to compare to the HomePod. I still have the play 5 gen 1. If I could group the HomePod with the sonos I have that would be great......

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't think anyone can reasonably say Sonos One is better than HomePod. At the same time, I don't think anyone is seriously saying HomePod is better than Play 5.

2 Sonos Play Ones are probably better for most than a HomePod. For one thing, no compromises tied to service lock in. Also, Alexa (and eventually Google Assistant) are leaps and bounds better than Siri for any serious AI.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
The biggest difference is the bass. HomePod has nice deep bass and barely any mids. Sonos have great mids not great bass.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2