Will you buy the HomePod?

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I may buy a couple if they can be used with AppleTV for surround sound. Wondering how the Siri integration will work with multiple users. So many Apple devices rely on the single user paradigm.

This is really the kicker. I don't need my wife sending messages from my account.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I may buy a couple if they can be used with AppleTV for surround sound. Wondering how the Siri integration will work with multiple users. So many Apple devices rely on the single user paradigm.

If these can be integrated with Apple TV that would be incredible. Having two of these on either side of an Apple TV in a living room set up would be great.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm super curious to know how many of you out there are going to put the $ down to buy? What do you think?

We have a set of custom Salk's, a set of NHT's, and several pair of AV123 bookshelf speakers (all set up through Sonos and a Logitech Transporter "Squeezebox"), so we will not be buying a HomePod.

WCraig

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
Looking around my house, our kitchen and master bedroom are the two rooms where a HomePod might make sense. BTW, I have a couple of Homekit accessories but really I'm just using them as super expensive light timers.

In the kitchen, it might work well but there has to be an option for a good local source of news, weather and traffic.

In the master bedroom, it would replace our 25 year old clock radio. But it doesn't display the time. That seems trivial except for the fact that we glance at it all the time. Clearly, HomePod would be a major sound upgrade. At very least, I know I can use Homekit timers to have it wake us up at the appropriate time.

Regarding Siri, I don't know. I use it every day for simple stuff (shopping list, reminders, timers, sending simple messages). My wife and two kids NEVER talk to Siri. They never miss an opportunity to make fun when Siri gets something wrong even though my success rate is probably around 90%. (Like I said, I do simple stuff.) So if I'm the only one that would ever use Siri, and my iPhone is in my pocket virtually all the time, why would I pay a tonne of money for HomePod(s)?

Oh, and I'm always leery about buying Gen 1 products.

Craig

iGlide

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I listened to MacBreak Weekly yesterday and would agree with Rene. Theres are many details left unknown right now that should be coming to light in the next coming months prior to release. I also am in the Sonos owners group but am curious about the MultiUser capabilities for Siri. If Siri is capable of multi-user function then its safe to say I would probably bite the bullet and purchase some HomePods exclusively for Homekit functionality. IF the only advantage is better sound then probably not. I only have one device that is not Homekit Compatible and that is my Haiku fans. Hopefully this will change with the new Homekit guidelines announced and expected for third party integration.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes I plan to when it becomes available in Canada. By that time, there should be plenty of reviews out there so it shouldn't be hard to make a decision.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Not likely. I just don't see a need for it. I have airpods, BT hearing aids for streaming audio, and having a speaker that is only compatible with Apple's echo system no matter how tied into it I already am really makes no sense. I don't use Apple Music, I use SiriusXM in my car, the app on my iPhone/iPad, my wife uses it on her iPhone and I use it on my computer at work or home.

unashamedgeek

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I see that multiple people can use it, but I don't see anything about multiple accounts. So my wife and I both have Apple Music and we have our own separate playlists. If the HomePod is tied to my account, it doesn't seem like she would be able to access her playlists. I won't be considering this until multiple accounts can be used and easily switched.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ordered mine from Apple, but then canceled, but wait there is more.

With Apple I have to pay Tax, but with BestBuy I don't. So I canceled the Apple order, ordered through BB, saved over $30 in tax, and had a $10 credit with BB, so I can pick it up 2/9 for the total price of $339.00

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner