I currently am using a 2017 9.7" basic iPad that never leaves the house as a hub for my Hue lights. The problem is that because it's always in my bedroom, which is in one corner of my house, my Hue lights constantly register as 'unreachable' and it's driving me insane having to deal with this every night.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV pretty much solely to use as a Homekit Hub and leaving it more centrally in the lounge (purely because the Apple TV looks like the cheapest way to get a hub). Has anyone else done this and has it stopped the constant list of unreachable lights from appearing in the Home app? It's getting so bad that i've actually returned some Hue bulbs to normal LED ones just to stop the frustration.

I have an old iPhone 6 that I could use as a hub if only I could jailbreak it to allow the Hub function to run on an iPhone.
    09-06-2020 12:21 PM
    I have seen this behaviour on the Apple TV with my WiFi connected air conditioner.

Never saw this behaviour with Hue lights.

It’s important to note that I have a segmented network and a wired Apple TV.
    09-06-2020 12:56 PM
    I have seen this behaviour on the Apple TV with my WiFi connected air conditioner.

Never saw this behaviour with Hue lights.

It’s important to note that I have a segmented network and a wired Apple TV.
    Ah, I have a segmented network too. I bet that's the problem. Thanks for the help.
    09-06-2020 08:38 PM
    I have these two items on my router to help with the Apple TV - Philipps Hue communication:
    • mDNS Forwarding
      HomeKit device discovery is always over mDNS (Bonjour) and does not normally cross networks. This allows cross-network mDNS resolution.
    • From Apple TV to Philipps Hue Bridge
      Ports: 8080/tcp
      This is used to control the bridge. You want this rule for any device that speaks to Philipps Hue.
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    09-06-2020 09:23 PM
    Thanks mate, I appreciate the help.
    Ed7789 likes this.
    09-06-2020 10:56 PM