Hue lights constantly disconnecting

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I currently am using a 2017 9.7" basic iPad that never leaves the house as a hub for my Hue lights. The problem is that because it's always in my bedroom, which is in one corner of my house, my Hue lights constantly register as 'unreachable' and it's driving me insane having to deal with this every night.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV pretty much solely to use as a Homekit Hub and leaving it more centrally in the lounge (purely because the Apple TV looks like the cheapest way to get a hub). Has anyone else done this and has it stopped the constant list of unreachable lights from appearing in the Home app? It's getting so bad that i've actually returned some Hue bulbs to normal LED ones just to stop the frustration.

I have an old iPhone 6 that I could use as a hub if only I could jailbreak it to allow the Hub function to run on an iPhone.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this behaviour on the Apple TV with my WiFi connected air conditioner.

Never saw this behaviour with Hue lights.

It’s important to note that I have a segmented network and a wired Apple TV.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this behaviour on the Apple TV with my WiFi connected air conditioner.

Never saw this behaviour with Hue lights.

It’s important to note that I have a segmented network and a wired Apple TV.

Ah, I have a segmented network too. I bet that's the problem. Thanks for the help.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have these two items on my router to help with the Apple TV - Philipps Hue communication:
  • mDNS Forwarding
    HomeKit device discovery is always over mDNS (Bonjour) and does not normally cross networks. This allows cross-network mDNS resolution.
  • From Apple TV to Philipps Hue Bridge
    Ports: 8080/tcp
    This is used to control the bridge. You want this rule for any device that speaks to Philipps Hue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2