Lutron Caseta Smart Hub and in-wall switches

varase

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I know a lot of people are into things like the Philips bulbs, but I've gone a different route for my HomeKit enabled lights.

It's more expensive, but you can replace in-wall switches with Lutron Caseta switches and use your wall switches or HomeKit to control cheap dimmable LED bulbs (or incandescents if you're a traditionalist).

This means you can HomeKit control lights in your existing fixtures with in-wall switches and guests or others are not turning off lights from wall swtiches with no way to turn them back on remotely. It also means when a bulb burns out it isn't a great tragedy as you can just replace them with another cheap LED dimmable bulb.

The initial outlay is higher, and it is a bit of a pain to replace in-wall switches, but the TCO is ultimately lower, and it's really a no compromise solution to home control.

I've replace all my old X-10 stuff with Caseta and never looked back.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I’ve actually looked at those but, I must admit, I have a ton of Hue lights in my home. It boiled down to the ease of installation and way lower startup costs. I also had a situation in one room where I couldn’t easily wire in lighting to a wall switch. Three Hue lights and a Hue Dimmer Switch worked perfectly.
My family and I might look into moving in the next couple of years so i might have to reconsider the Lutron switches for the new house.