I have a situation where I need a light switch turned on any time the heat comes on. I'm looking at installing an Ecobee 4 thermostat to provide the "when the heat turns on" intelligence. Is HomeKit capable of "seeing" when the Ecobee turns the heat on, and can it then turn on a HomeKit-capable switch? Would it be fairly instant (i.e. within 10 seconds) or would there be a delay?

Would HomeKit then be able to "see" when the Ecobee turns the heat off, and it turn flip off the light switch?

Would I be able to run that automation from the Home App on an iPad (always in the room, always on the wifi, always plugged into a charger.) Or would it be better to set up Homebridge on a Raspberry Pi?

BTW, I've already ruled out using a SmartThings hub (won't work without an internet connection, which I don't have at the property) and a Wink Hub (bots have no "when the Ecobee turns the heat on" capability.)

And as a closing thought, I am an iOS developer, so creating my own custom app that monitors and responds through HomeKit APIs is certainly a possibility. I'm just not sure what commands the Ecobee 4 exposes to HomeKit.
    09-27-2017 10:08 AM