Homekit Plugs

beingbenjamin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I just recently got into using IFTTT and really have a couple use cases I'd like to try by introducing a "smart plug" to my home to go along with my Ring and Nest. At the same time, I'd like the plug to be HomeKit compatible so I have the added benefit of the whole "Hey Siri" bit in addition to IFTTT automation.

At present, I find three, all of which are moderately rated.

1) ConnectSense ($79)
2) iHome ($39)
3) iDevice ($59)

Of course, if I want to drop the whole HomeKit angle, then WeMo is the clear winner. It's also much more positively reviewed.

So what do you recommend?

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You could build a HomeBridge Server and use that to link to a Wemo plug. I have 3 Wemo plugs, all of which work very well with Siri and IFTTT via the HomeBridge. I used a Raspberry Pi and the software at https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge to make a custom Homekit Bridge.

Not for a beginner, but it does work.

Rumours are that Wemo are also working on Homekit support at the moment.

beingbenjamin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Wow that actually sounds really interesting. I'll definitely look into it.

I did interact with WeMo on Twitter and they basically said they are cautious about it because it requires a hardware change and that would force their customers to have to re-purchase. I replied that it is expected every product upgrades and those who want both IFTTT and HomeKit will buy it. Basically they said "noted". WeMo is less expensive and way more reliable than the 3 HomeKit offerings at present. May be worth just going without Siri support for a little while or, like you have done, build a custom bridge...

adamjustice

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
At present, I find three, all of which are moderately rated.

1) ConnectSense ($79)
2) iHome ($39)
3) iDevice ($59)

So what do you recommend?

The ConnectSense plug is my product so I am bias but I can definitely elaborate on our reviews. Initially we were having connectivity issues which lead to some of the mixed reviews. We fixed that in a firmware update and the plugs have been very solid. A customer last week told me he has all three of the devices you mentioned and ours is the only one that stays online. We are also working on a ton of new features and adding power monitoring and other cool stuff.

Anyways I'm not trying to come on here and just hawk my wares I would like to be useful to you guys and answer questions. In addition to working on HomeKit stuff for over 2 years now I have a ton of HomeKit products in my house. Let me know what questions you have and how I can help.

rvorthman

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I have 4 iDevice Switches (plugs) and I really like them. They work reliably, which I hear is not true of the iHome plug. You can get them for $40 or less on Amazon/ebay, don't pay full price. They also measure power consumption and have a colored night light. So you are basically getting two HomeKit products in one; a switch and a colored light. You can control each independently.

I have a dumb coffee maker with a hard power switch permanently switched on, plugged into the iDevice Switch. When I wake up on the weekend, I tell Siri to "turn on the coffee maker". HomeKit is scheduled to automatically turn on the coffee each weekday morning. I can also say "is the coffee maker on?"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW