Integrating window shades with HomeKit

Team AXIS

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

We're launching a device that tackles bringing window shades into the connected and automated space without heavy modification or need to purchase new shades.

We were curious what the community thought about this and how important a planned integration with HomeKit would be.

You can find out a bit more about what our vision is for context here: igg.me/at/axis-gear

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the product connect with a hub now, or what do you need to control it from your smartphone? I think HomeKit support isn't integral, because the Lutron shades solution is pretty impressive, but if it can be controlled indirectly by being added to a HomeKit compatible hub that would be a good benefit at a lower price point.

Team AXIS

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Bluetooth is used to communicate with the devices but you can also equip the devices with ZigBee/Thread or Z-Wave to integrate with a hub.

There seems to be a lot of demand for HomeKit support but it is seriously such a PIA to make it happen!

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth is used to communicate with the devices but you can also equip the devices with ZigBee/Thread or Z-Wave to integrate with a hub.

There seems to be a lot of demand for HomeKit support but it is seriously such a PIA to make it happen!

How is Apple supporting HomeKit development from the developer perspective? From the consumer perspective they're kind of letting it wither on the vine. They don't even include an app to integrate it all together, and there are known issues somehow related to iCloud that forces you to reset a hub to regain control of your accessories.

Honestly an IFTTT channel is a lot more valuable than HomeKit integration at this point.

Team AXIS

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
They keep things pretty under wraps until your product is HomeKit-certified and that certification process is super timely and costly! It's weird because, as you said, it seems to be withering and there aren't may HomeKit devices but there is still so much demand.

We definitely agree and IFTTT integration is something we are aggressively pursuing - the possibilities are just so much more enticing!

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Mav... HomeKit seems to be more of an afterthought with Apple. I have embraced Z-Wave/Zigbee. Tons of devices that I control thru my Smartthings Hub. Add a Voice controlled interface with the Amazon Echo... I am in automation nirvana.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro