Moving from FitBit to Apple Watch

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I was using a Fitbit charge hr and loved it
Decided to get an Apple Watch recently and while it's a very capable smarwatch I find it lags behind as a fitness device that Apple has constantly marketed it to be with the activity rings ads
First off
Why can't it track steps climbed(like most Fitbits)
10 minutes interval is too far apart for hr measurement
(because of this the Apple Watch cannot pick up strolls/walks automatically and log them as
exercise unlike the Fitbit)
No sleep tracking (common Apple you had months after the first Watch to do this)
A fitness device with No auto or even manual sleep tracking is poor
And why will a watch that is marketed to encourage you to move and gives you stand reminders not have a complication to show number of steps so far
Must I have to open the activity app to see the steps I took?
And the social aspect of the activity app is miles behind the Fitbit ecosystem
Some days the motivation I need is to see my sister or friend taking more steps than I do and I go for a quick stroll
This is severely lacking on an Apple Watch
For now I will return the Watch and get me a charge 2
Until Apple decides if it's making a smartwatch or a device that does both

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Unless you want a dedicated fitness tracker I'd always lean towards the Apple Watch. The Blaze is probably the only Fitbit that's even comparable and that thing is not a looker.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I was using a Fitbit charge hr and loved it
Decided to get an Apple Watch recently and while it's a very capable smarwatch I find it lags behind as a fitness device that Apple has constantly marketed it to be with the activity rings ads
First off
Why can't it track steps climbed(like most Fitbits)
10 minutes interval is too far apart for hr measurement
(because of this the Apple Watch cannot pick up strolls/walks automatically and log them as
exercise unlike the Fitbit)
No sleep tracking (common Apple you had months after the first Watch to do this)
A fitness device with No auto or even manual sleep tracking is poor
And why will a watch that is marketed to encourage you to move and gives you stand reminders not have a complication to show number of steps so far
Must I have to open the activity app to see the steps I took?
And the social aspect of the activity app is miles behind the Fitbit ecosystem
Some days the motivation I need is to see my sister or friend taking more steps than I do and I go for a quick stroll
This is severely lacking on an Apple Watch
For now I will return the Watch and get me a charge 2
Until Apple decides if it's making a smartwatch or a device that does both

If you are looking for a fitness tracker first and smart watch second, Fitbit is the way to go. It just does a better job than the Apple Watch. You will really like the Charge 2. It's a great device. I miss mine for the dedicated fitness tracking.

I really appreciate everything else the AW can do so I am going to deal with the couple things it's not as good at on the fitness side.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I ended up going back to my FitBit Charge 2. It's not that I didn't like the AW. I just realized that, at least for now, I primarily want a fitness tracker. In my opinion, the Charge 2 is far superior in that area. I still get notifications so I know who's calling or texting me and while I prefer to be able to answer from the watch, it doesn't outweigh the fitness/tracking shortcomings of the Apple watch.

I hope to give it another go if Apple tightens down the consistency of the watch relating to fitness/tracking. For now it's just not there for me especially when I can have the Fitbit at less than half the cost.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going back to my FitBit Charge 2. It's not that I didn't like the AW. I just realized that, at least for now, I primarily want a fitness tracker. In my opinion, the Charge 2 is far superior in that area. I still get notifications so I know who's calling or texting me and while I prefer to be able to answer from the watch, it doesn't outweigh the fitness/tracking shortcomings of the Apple watch.

I hope to give it another go if Apple tightens down the consistency of the watch relating to fitness/tracking. For now it's just not there for me especially when I can have the Fitbit at less than half the cost.
This! Plus I miss wearing my Breitling as I can pass it off with my Fitbit Charge 2, but not with my Apple Watch.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I find app use makes the Apple Watch as fine a fitness tracker as I need. I see the HRM samples more when I'm running a workout whether built in app or the Abvio (Cyclemeter, Runmeter, Walkmeter - really the same).

It's the overall package that made an AW 2 more attractive to me than a Fitbit or some others. One can also use a strap HRM with the Apple Watch which is what my triathlete and most obsessed fitness or competing associates do. Some use a chest type, some one on their arm.

Many associates with Fitbit and Garmin products don't use them as much as with Apple Watch. No right or wrong here but I've come to appreciate the all the time nature and overall capability of Apple Watch over a dedicated fitness tracker. When I do a bike ride, run or work out the AW is fine.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I find app use makes the Apple Watch as fine a fitness tracker as I need. I see the HRM samples more when I'm running a workout whether built in app or the Abvio (Cyclemeter, Runmeter, Walkmeter - really the same).

It's the overall package that made an AW 2 more attractive to me than a Fitbit or some others. One can also use a strap HRM with the Apple Watch which is what my triathlete and most obsessed fitness or competing associates do. Some use a chest type, some one on their arm.

Many associates with Fitbit and Garmin products don't use them as much as with Apple Watch. No right or wrong here but I've come to appreciate the all the time nature and overall capability of Apple Watch over a dedicated fitness tracker. When I do a bike ride, run or work out the AW is fine.

That's great that it works for you. I wish I felt the same way. The AW is just not there for me at the price point it's at. It might be totally worth it for other people though. I can just get what I need from the less expensive Fitbit and for me it's a better solution for what I want from a wearable.

I could be singing a different tune this time next year. We will see.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
cwbcpa said:
That's great that it works for you.

That's what it's all about— finding what works for you. I wish more people could appreciate perspective and not confuse fact with their opinion.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what it's all about— finding what works for you. I wish more people could appreciate perspective and not confuse fact with their opinion.

Very well said. I think a lot of people are in these forums and asking questions because they are trying to figure out what works for them. I'll always be chasing that myself and will never catch it because tech is always evolving. It's also what makes it fun for me.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Very well said. I think a lot of people are in these forums and asking questions because they are trying to figure out what works for them. I'll always be chasing that myself and will never catch it because tech is always evolving. It's also what makes it fun for me.
So true!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I still use both. I use the AW as my main smartwatch. I bought a Fitbit one to stay with that platform bc all my friends use Fitbits and I like the social aspect of it. Wish Apple had that.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I still use both. I use the AW as my main smartwatch. I bought a Fitbit one to stay with that platform bc all my friends use Fitbits and I like the social aspect of it. Wish Apple had that.

I'm selling my AW because I never used it to it's full potential.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I went and bought the Nike+ Series 2 a couple days ago. I have had some issues in the past with the Apple Watch, but after spending another 6 weeks with the Fitbit, I really missed the AW. I went with the Series 2 so that I can use it in the pool as well. I'm going to stick with it this time. The other features outweigh the couple of issues I've had. I am also making more of an effort to set it up to use more. I realized that I didn't really give it a fair shake in the past.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I went and bought the Nike+ Series 2 a couple days ago. I have had some issues in the past with the Apple Watch, but after spending another 6 weeks with the Fitbit, I really missed the AW. I went with the Series 2 so that I can use it in the pool as well. I'm going to stick with it this time. The other features outweigh the couple of issues I've had. I am also making more of an effort to set it up to use more. I realized that I didn't really give it a fair shake in the past.
What kind of issues are you referring to?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
What kind of issues are you referring to?

"Issues" is probably the wrong word. I liked the way Fitbit tracked sleeping but I have now solved that with a combo of AutoSleep and HeartWatch. Awesome apps. I'm still not convinced that the heart rate monitor is as accurate but I am going to deal with it. Everything else is amazing.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
"Issues" is probably the wrong word. I liked the way Fitbit tracked sleeping but I have now solved that with a combo of AutoSleep and HeartWatch. Awesome apps. I'm still not convinced that the heart rate monitor is as accurate but I am going to deal with it. Everything else is amazing.

I never used my Apple Watch for sleep tracking, but I'll keep this in mind if I decide to keep my Apple Watch. Also I too have noticed difference in the heart rate monitor between my Fitbit and the previous Apple Watch I had.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm with you on the heart rate accuracy. I feel like my Fitbit Surge was more accurate. As I posted in a different thread, my AW will tell me my heart rate is in the 180s when I'm walking briskly and able to speak normally. And it'll report similar heart rate when I'm doing a 5-6 mile run at a brisk pace when I can maybe speak in 2-3 word phrases. It seems to have gotten a bit better with the latest watchOS update. Just a bit better, but not accurate.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I never used my Apple Watch for sleep tracking, but I'll keep this in mind if I decide to keep my Apple Watch. Also I too have noticed difference in the heart rate monitor between my Fitbit and the previous Apple Watch I had.

I'm with you on the heart rate accuracy. I feel like my Fitbit Surge was more accurate. As I posted in a different thread, my AW will tell me my heart rate is in the 180s when in walking briskly and able to speak normally. And it'll report similar heart rate when I'm doing a 5-6 mile run at a brisk pace when I can maybe speak in 2-3 word phrases. It seems to have gotten a bit better with the latest watchOS update. Just a bit better, but not accurate.

It really is disappointing. I would think Apple would do better since they are so focused on advertising the fitness aspects of the Apple Watch.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you on the heart rate accuracy. I feel like my Fitbit Surge was more accurate. As I posted in a different thread, my AW will tell me my heart rate is in the 180s when in walking briskly and able to speak normally. And it'll report similar heart rate when I'm doing a 5-6 mile run at a brisk pace when I can maybe speak in 2-3 word phrases. It seems to have gotten a bit better with the latest watchOS update. Just a bit better, but not accurate.
I've noticed that too on my previous Apple Watch