Sell Your Old iPhone For Cash!

What's my iPhone worth?
    I have had my Series 1 for a couple weeks now. I have completed the 20+ minutes of calibration and have started logging workouts. Something I have noticed that is really starting to bother me, is that I am not getting full credit and a lot of the time NO credit for my outdoor walks. Keep in mind that these are very brisk walks and I have an elevated heart rate as well. These get logged as workouts.... but don’t move the exercise ring much, if at all. I am using the “Open - Outdoor Walk” option in the workout app when I do this. Are there any suggestions? I really want to be able to track all my exercise correctly.
    01-03-2017 01:51 PM
    I don't have any suggestions other than to say that my series 2 seems to work as I would expect, for example if I go into the gym, pick open strength training or yoga, set it going, stop it at the end and save it, if I was going for 35 minutes, it will give me 35 minutes of credit in the exercise ring and the variable one is the move/calories ring which will increase more the higher my heart rate is (so running scores higher than yoga for example)

Sorry this may not help you other than confirming that something is amiss for you.
    01-03-2017 02:59 PM
    I have had my Series 1 for a couple weeks now. I have completed the 20+ minutes of calibration and have started logging workouts. Something I have noticed that is really starting to bother me, is that I am not getting full credit and a lot of the time NO credit for my outdoor walks. Keep in mind that these are very brisk walks and I have an elevated heart rate as well. These get logged as workouts.... but don’t move the exercise ring much, if at all. I am using the “Open - Outdoor Walk” option in the workout app when I do this. Are there any suggestions? I really want to be able to track all my exercise correctly.
    When you go to your watch's Activity app and open Workouts, what do you see?

Probably stupid question - you are certain you're properly ending and saving the workout?
    01-04-2017 08:26 PM
    When you go to your watch's Activity app and open Workouts, what do you see?

Probably stupid question - you are certain you're properly ending and saving the workout?
    Yes, I am definitely saving the workouts. They count as workouts... they just don't move the exercise ring. I use MyFitnessPal and that account is synced with Apple Health. My workouts show on MyFitnessPal, so I know they are being registered.
    01-05-2017 10:25 AM
    Yes, I am definitely saving the workouts. They count as workouts... they just don't move the exercise ring.
    Do they affect the Move ring?
    Last edited by tcuprof; 01-10-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Meant to say Move and not Exercise.
    01-09-2017 03:50 PM
    My wife is wondering and 1/2 complaining about accuracy but has only followed activity with phone prior to the watch.

My opinions and insights come from same bike rides with associates who have different apps, different activity trackers and different phones. It's not precise data but enough data to know where you stand.

I do question accuracy when 30-40 minutes of walking around the pond by my house gets around as much credit as same time hiking at our ski club. The later is no doubt more exercise. Maybe it's GPS not really getting the little turns in the single track trails but a loop around the pond is pretty much 0 elevation change. One trail loop at our ski club is a few hundred feet of elevation change.

I wondered if HRM reading is important in this? Last night I made sure clothing and gloves didn't move the phone off my wrist. I barely got much more credit than a simple walk around the pond.
    01-13-2017 08:52 AM
    I wondered if HRM reading is important in this? Last night I made sure clothing and gloves didn't move the phone off my wrist. I barely got much more credit than a simple walk around the pond.
    I'm convinced it's important. My speculation is that two exercises of the same duration will generate the same active calories burned if the heart rate is essentially the same. I burn 33% more calories with a 30 minute run than I do with 30 minutes of strenuous weight lifting. A comparison of average heart rate explains the difference. The better the condition you're in, the harder it is to burn calories.
    cheli007 likes this.
    01-13-2017 04:08 PM
    I'm convinced it's important. My speculation is that two exercises of the same duration will generate the same active calories burned if the heart rate is essentially the same. I burn 33% more calories with a 30 minute run than I do with 30 minutes of strenuous weight lifting. A comparison of average heart rate explains the difference. The better the condition you're in, the harder it is to burn calories.
    You might be on something here. My wife's complaining about how hard to show the watch burning calories but her "health" app and lifestyle was already an active and fit woman her age. Season, weather and travel just messed with our routine but she hikes 5-10 mi a day, and we do qty 2-5 1-3 hour mountain bike rides a week. There's not a lot of fat on us. Some I know who get on this quantified and nudged fitness bandwagon rave about their results but they start as sedentary overweight people who also give it up in months or are not consistent.

Before having watches our phones motion detection and recording showed we were fairly active people.

My hope with HRM was more good data. Mountain biking - our main thing - is lower average speed than road biking but lots of climbing and far more overall body use.

Last night at our ski club I made sure the watch was set well on my wrist and my calorie burn for the amount of time seemed much higher.
    01-14-2017 07:34 AM
    As another data point, I've noticed similar discrepancies and inconsistency with the original Apple Watch Exercise Ring not accurately capturing activity. For example, after a 40 minute mountain bike ride (up many steep hills), the Apple Watch may report 20-25 minutes for Activity. Other times the Exercise Ring data is fairly close to what Endomondo reports.

I don't use the Exercises on the watch, but rather have Endomondo setup to run locally on the watch after starting the ride from the iPhone 6S+ (that integration is nice, along with the ability for Endomondo data to populate Apple Health data). I've also duplicated similar Apple Watch Activity behavior when recording the ride from Endomondo from a Note 5.

Maybe I'm just not increasing heart rate enough during certain stretches during the ride to trigger whatever threshold the Activity logic uses to register or count Activity. Or maybe the watch is not seated exactly just right on my wrist (it is at the 3rd notch and seated firmly and closely to my wrist so it will not move or wiggle).
    01-14-2017 09:52 AM
    As another data point, I've noticed similar discrepancies and inconsistency with the original Apple Watch Exercise Ring not accurately capturing activity. For example, after a 40 minute mountain bike ride (up many steep hills), the Apple Watch may report 20-25 minutes for Activity. Other times the Exercise Ring data is fairly close to what Endomondo reports.

I don't use the Exercises on the watch, but rather have Endomondo setup to run locally on the watch after starting the ride from the iPhone 6S+ (that integration is nice, along with the ability for Endomondo data to populate Apple Health data). I've also duplicated similar Apple Watch Activity behavior when recording the ride from Endomondo from a Note 5.

Maybe I'm just not increasing heart rate enough during certain stretches during the ride to trigger whatever threshold the Activity logic uses to register or count Activity. Or maybe the watch is not seated exactly just right on my wrist (it is at the 3rd notch and seated firmly and closely to my wrist so it will not move or wiggle).
    I have but don't use Endomondo. What you describe is similar to the Abvio Cyclemeter I've used prior to the watch. It just dawned on me that I've not yet tried Cyclmeter integration with the watch.

I don't expect perfection in this stuff. Whatever one friend uses with with his Android phone to measure MTB rides always shows he burns way more calories and with past iPhones, more mileage with his app.. What this stuff does do that's valuable is 2016 was 100%+ more single track riding. It shows how some rides are fast when they don't feel that way. Measuring the stuff helps me know if I should call it a day or go on and not bonk.

Now you have me curious to try my 3rd party app if only a walk around the pond.

Trees likes this.
    01-14-2017 12:21 PM
    Update: I fully tied the Abvio (Cyclemeter in my case) app with the watch, Health, HRM, and all settings that made sense. There were a few pleasant surprises after some tests - a walk, off road bike ride, and few mile hike. I made sure my clothing was keeping the HRM pressed to skin and not jamming it between sleeves and gloves.

With all of last year's and fresh data integrated I could see much more accuracy. With phone only 1.5 - 2 hour expert level MTB rides would never register enough calories burned. I know how I eat. I'm 5'10". I'm quite active for nearing age 60.

The non-Apple app counts all use for the green exercise but my walks are brisk and it really is exercise when I use it. Yesterday the red ring seemed to move far more with HRM and Abvio app set to mountain biking. It all worked far more like associates who have other setups such as Garmin and sophisticated on bike stuff.

Sorry to have no current info on Endomondo I have not used for a while but I also really liked the way the Abvio Cycle meter read all my past health app data and in many cases tied it to the weather, maps and my annual progress for the given date.

This and the friendly competition with wife via data sharing are probably making the watches keepers.
    Trees likes this.
    01-16-2017 06:42 AM
    Update: I fully tied the Abvio (Cyclemeter in my case) app with the watch, Health, HRM, and all settings that made sense. There were a few pleasant surprises after some tests - a walk, off road bike ride, and few mile hike. I made sure my clothing was keeping the HRM pressed to skin and not jamming it between sleeves and gloves.

With all of last year's and fresh data integrated I could see much more accuracy. With phone only 1.5 - 2 hour expert level MTB rides would never register enough calories burned. I know how I eat. I'm 5'10". I'm quite active for nearing age 60.

The non-Apple app counts all use for the green exercise but my walks are brisk and it really is exercise when I use it. Yesterday the red ring seemed to move far more with HRM and Abvio app set to mountain biking. It all worked far more like associates who have other setups such as Garmin and sophisticated on bike stuff.

Sorry to have no current info on Endomondo I have not used for a while but I also really liked the way the Abvio Cycle meter read all my past health app data and in many cases tied it to the weather, maps and my annual progress for the given date.

This and the friendly competition with wife via data sharing are probably making the watches keepers.
    Nice update and further testing. You're setting a good example for staying active and fit
    I should probably use the Exercise apps more to see if that may help recalibrate. Not sure if the original watch sensors are less accurate, but that may be a variable.
    01-17-2017 06:22 AM
    Nice update and further testing. You're setting a good example for staying active and fit
    I should probably use the Exercise apps more to see if that may help recalibrate. Not sure if the original watch sensors are less accurate, but that may be a variable.
    I don't know about the original. I do hear conversations about speed differences but think accuracy issues are similar for most wrist HRMs. My wife and I just got new Series 2. I think her times for bad data had sleeves and gloves pushing the watch. Yesterday a work break scenario had Fitbit, Apple and Garmin owners in essence say the things need to be sitting right on the wrist. With no sleeve in the way I did some simple in the house exercise this AM and had the built-in open setting on. No way was 68 BPM right after some pushups. Moving the watch a few mm got a reading that mirrored how I felt - 98 BPM.

Trees likes this.
    01-18-2017 10:21 AM
    Do they affect the Move ring?
    Yes.
    01-26-2017 12:15 PM