Besides fitness, how are you using your Apple Watch

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Besides fitness tracking, seeing who texted or called very quickly, I love using "hey siri" to add something to my grocery list on the fly without getting my phone out. I drive for a living and the watch is so, so convenient. Also love voice texting. It seems more accurate than the iPhone...maybe I hold it closer when I dictate. :)

I do the grocery list thing, too. I use Todoist for it and when it launches on my AW, it works brilliantly and is so convenient. When it fails to launch, I want to throw my watch across the room.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I use it way more than expected for a lot of things and I'm another who got sucked into the fitness rings.

My wife and I were already active but I wanted HRM for MTB rides. On "sucked in", last night I thought at my age size 32 pants already loose is fine but I confess to doing a walk after dinner knowing it would take me to or past 100%. I'm no doubt what's called "weekend warrior" for sports and activities. I go for weekend and 1-2 mid-week bike rides that add up. Now the watch has me filling that in more.

The alerts are great for the work I do.

Navigation is nicer than I expected. I like the tap on wrist more than noise in the car.

The Drafts app update has me displaying lists and info that I also update on the watch.

There's also silliness I never expected. My wife and I text the funny messages when we finish a workout. The shirt I wore yesterday had some bright blue and I confess to changing watch face color to match it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The shirt I wore yesterday had some bright blue and I confess to changing watch face color to match it.

q:80

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes I use the reminders app on my phone for grocery shopping as well. Since getting my Apple Watch, it's must more convenient using the reminders app on the wrist while pushing a grocery cart instead of holding the iPhone in one hand!

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I lock my car doors when I think I am just running into a place quick and decide to stay. Some car companies have apps. I also check messages quickly when I don't want to pull out my iPhone 7+ and appear disinterested in a conversation/meeting. I also check all of my Credit Card balances to make sure payments are posted or if transactions went through when someone says it didn't process.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... What are you using your Apple Watch for besides fitness. (Note that fitness motivator is my number one reason so far.)

Thanks!::cool:

Notifications, quick replies, Siri, navigation, and of course, seeing the date, time and weather information without having to pull out my iPhone.

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I just got mine but found another great use besides all listed above, I bought a voice recorder app off the apple store, it resides in the dock on my watch (I'm always thinking of things to remember), all I have to do is open the doc, tap and I can make a voice note to remember something, even in the middle of the night! Very convenient!

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Tha'ts the one I got, I figured most apps are 2.99, what's a couple more bucks :) It was worth it to me, works great. I put it in my watch dock, so it's fast and easy, open, tap to start recording, tap to stop, tap save, then you can listen to it on your watch or on your iphone since it syncs through the cloud. It does exactly what I had hoped for. :)

So far this watch is beyond my expectations, I was nervous to spend 399.00, but man glad I did, totally loving the whole experience.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I put it in my watch dock, so it's fast and easy, open, tap to start recording, tap to stop, tap save, then you can listen to it on your watch or on your iphone since it syncs through the cloud. It does exactly what I had hoped for.

It sounds very worthwhile and the $5. Can you use it as a complication?

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what a complication means?
You can put it on your custom watch face if I'm guessing that's what that means? I did that, now one tap on my clock screen, starts it. Is that what you mean?

And yes, I think it's easlly worth the 5 bucks, with it on my clock screen now, it's super convenient!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what a complication means?
You can put it on your custom watch face if I'm guessing that's what that means? I did that, now one tap on my clock screen, starts it. Is that what you mean?

Thank you, that's exactly what I mean. A 'complication' is a watch term referring to something on the watch face besides the minute, hour, and second hand (unless the second hand is a separate dial.

On the Apple Watch its the same thing, whether it's weather, battery, Activity, Workout, etc. It's an extra 'dial' on the face. When you put an app on the watch face as a complication, it's just one tap instead of launching it from the dock.

ronpfid said:
And yes, I think it's easlly worth the 5 bucks, with it on my clock screen now, it's super convenient!

Sold! Thanks!

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
OK, cool I guessed right :)

Hey cool, glad that'll work for you too, I use it all the time from the watch screen, when you use it that way, one press , it opens AND immediately starts recording, very convenient!

Thanks for the info, so that's what a complication is, i never heard that term before :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My biggest benefit is I wear it to bed and use my Watch as my alarm. I get up at 4am for the gym and the gentle vibrations on my wrist keep the rest of the house asleep. Of course I use it for all the other things mentioned above as I am a power user of my Apple products.

Apple Pay, sleep tracking, notifications, water tracking, grocery lists, timers, weather, occasional calls, etc...

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey, how are you using it for sleep tracking? Is that an add on app?
I had a couple Garmin watches, they automatically just did sleep tracking (really accurate too), but with the apple watch do you have to open, tap and initiate sleep, then initiate wake up when you wake? Or is there an app that figures it out like the Garmin watches?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have tried many of the sleep apps and have finally settled on AutoSleep. It works great and I do not need to do a thing to track my sleep. I open the app in the morning to make sure it all tracked correctly and to date, I have only had to fix it once and that was my own fault.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice